G. Chemistry professor is terrible, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read online the ratings of my professor, and most of them average pretty well. However, my Gchem professor is terrible from what I've read. And his rating is a 2.2... This scares me considering I'm terrible at high school chemistry. All the other good professors are occupied. Should I take this class next year and substitute with stats?

Members don't see this ad.

If you take gen chem sophomore year, you won't take ochem till junior year. Is ochem a pre-req for biochem at your school? If so, you won't be able to take biochem till senior year, and you can't take the MCAT without biochem.

Not worth waiting, imo. Just be prepared to teach yourself. Gen chem isn't hard.

Reactions: 4 users
If you take gen chem sophomore year, you won't take ochem till junior year. Is ochem a pre-req for biochem at your school? If so, you won't be able to take biochem till senior year, and you can't take the MCAT without biochem.

Not worth waiting, imo. Just be prepared to teach yourself. Gen chem isn't hard.
I'm a biology major, and yes it is a prereq.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a biology major, and yes it is a prereq.

Well, unless you can take summer classes, you have to decide if taking gen chem with an easier professor is worth taking a gap year.

I know exactly how you feel. I hate when your professors are terrible and especially if it's a prerequisite course but don't delay yourself from this. Maybe this will be the reason why you work harder and study on your own and do really well. Maybe he will end up giving you a letter of rec because of how hard you worked. Turn this bad situation into a good one and stay positive and go into the class with a positive and confident mind set and you hopefully you will do really well and that mentality will hopefully remain constant into the rest of your classes in your academic career. Good luck

According to RMP, my gen chem 2 professor was horrid at teaching, harder at grading, difficult to follow. Those were numerous complaints about him.

I had no choice but to take him. After class, I introduced myself to him, asked what I needed to do in order to get an A. He then took 1/2 hour to talk to me, explained crystallization concepts not taught in gen chem 1 at my other school and offered up help anyway he could.

In taking him up on that offer, I found that 1) yes, he was not great in the classroom BUT if I saw him during office hours, or anytime his door was open, he was 100% willing to help. AND he was far better 1 v 1 than in lecture hall. I learned a lot.

Other students in my class complained about him. I asked if they'd ever talked to him or asked for help. They had not. I got an A and he is one of my LORs, they got B's and presumably, he got crushed yet again on RMP.

Own your learning. If the professor is said to give difficult tests, ask how to best prepare for them. As others have said, I would NOT put off taking the course for it puts you behind with ochem, biochem and MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm assuming there will still be people getting As, Bs, and Cs like with another professor. You can still get an A as long as you make up for any poor lectures (reading the book for clarification, asking a tutor/ta). :)

Phone post

Last edited:
According to RMP, my gen chem 2 professor was horrid at teaching, harder at grading, difficult to follow. Those were numerous complaints about him.

I had no choice but to take him. After class, I introduced myself to him, asked what I needed to do in order to get an A. He then took 1/2 hour to talk to me, explained crystallization concepts not taught in gen chem 1 at my other school and offered up help anyway he could.

In taking him up on that offer, I found that 1) yes, he was not great in the classroom BUT if I saw him during office hours, or anytime his door was open, he was 100% willing to help. AND he was far better 1 v 1 than in lecture hall. I learned a lot.

Other students in my class complained about him. I asked if they'd ever talked to him or asked for help. They had not. I got an A and he is one of my LORs, they got B's and presumably, he got crushed yet again on RMP.

Own your learning. If the professor is said to give difficult tests, ask how to best prepare for them. As others have said, I would NOT put off taking the course for it puts you behind with ochem, biochem and MCAT.
What happens if I start to fail badly, withdraw, and take it over summer? Won't med schools look down upon if I withdraw?

Good thing about Gen Chem is that it often follows the textbook closely - you don't really need a good teacher, just a semi-fair grader.
I'd be more wary of a poor quality o-chem teacher.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's talk about gen chem II

1) know how K varies with Q - what do they mean, what's the correlation
2) exo v endo thermic reactions - know what G, H, T and S do to each other and how that impacts reactions; know the graphs for each of those! Will be handy in biochem :)
3) crystalline structures depending on the book you use
4) solutes, solutes, solutes - this is really important as it leads into organic chemistry (orgo, btw, is not about memorizing a bunch of crap, it is about understanding what molecules will play and dance with the others and which ones can help speed those interactions along which leads to solutes)
5) Hess equations - know how to do these well

delta G = delta H - T delta S (Get = Higher Test Scores) ... what happens if you change the temp? how does that affect G? what does - G mean? or - S?

The math behind all of that is easy. There is no tricky physics type questions ala: F=ma, but a= v/t but if you have v1 and not v2 how do you get ... if you're only given N and some distance

None of that is in gen chem II.... it's really pretty straightforward.

IF you find that your instructor is crappy, you will know before 1st exam and know to drop before it appears on your transcript. I always tell students I mentor to get to know their instructors early. To me, that is key for most professors. You get to learn their style of teaching and more importantly, their TESTING style. Does the teacher seem to use book exams? ala the ones sent to him by the publisher? does he let you do open book?

I understand the reticence of taking a poorly rated professor on RMP. One last thought: buy an MCAT prep book like EK. I used that to help with any of my main courses if the text was too lengthy and detailed.

I'd say get used to the challenge of having "terrible" professors. Also, keep in mind who is giving these reviews - most of the time, it's the mediocre students complaining. For example, I remember reading reviews about a particular orgo professor about which people said a bunch of negative things and gave him a poor rating. He turned out to be a real laid back guy, but you had to show up to class because he put some tricky questions on tests that he specifically talked about and weren't in the book. A lot of people like to give poor ratings to professors who actually make them do things.
Since you are a pre-med and SDNer, I would assume you are above average and can handle some thought processing. If I would have avoided all of the professors with bad reviews on ratemyprofessor, I would have missed out on some valuable learning experiences. In general, professors are fair, and you should be able to figure out what you need to do to earn an "A."

Also, waiting would not be practical for your timeline, as Lannister pointed out.

Reactions: 2 users
I am not so sure how your school works, but the majority of schools do a first come first serve for classes. Often the priority is given to seniors, then juniors….freshman.

However nothing precludes you from signing up for the section you want I hope, at my school and most other schools its just a matter of time and putting in effort.

We call it hunting at my school. You find a section you need and u continuously check if you can sign up for it. First find the sections (you can check for multiple if you want), BUT please make sure that they can be inserted into your schedule without time conflict. So make sure the section you want, does not conflict with another class you have. Otherwise that section you want might get taken by another student. In fact people transfer classes to their friends, where one student with priority signs up for a class for a person, and then at a later date (usually at late hours when traffic is low) people transfer classes. Sometimes these transfers are intercepted. I have been in the library when this happened, and people were distraught, but nonetheless, once a class is dropped its anyone’s ball game.

My point is: at this instantaneous moment, the good section you want is not up for grabs. That’s okay !

Lots of things happen!! People add and drop classes ALL the time for a variety of life reasons !

Let me just say that in the beginning I was very new to this. I didn’t understand why people would sit on the computer and literally for 14 hours, every 10 minutes, while they study they would hunt for a particular section. When you analyze it in the long run, its worth the time you are spending a hundred times over. Sometimes, like my Gen Chem II, it wasn’t about getting an easier A it was about getting a well-deserved, well-taught A. There is no reason for example to get the hard professor for Bio II, a class at my school that covers zero material for the MCAT. So naturally tension is high to get the easier professor. So pick and choose your professors wisely. And spending the extra time and consideration will mean a great semester to a miserable one.

I have yet not to get the section I want for my schedule. I spend an enormous amount of time before semester starts. Usually I will email my Advisers, and you want to ask them when the system will drop the students for a particular semester. When grades are posted, prerequisite testing. You can outright ask them when the best time to check is. For example, a good time to especially stay on the hunt is when summer grades are posted. Anytime any term grades are posted. This is when the system, at a majority of schools, will drop students who have sadly failed a prerequisite class. Another time is when tuition is due. Sadly this occurs as well and the students get added back to the same class with a fee penalty but the seat is still up for grabs for someone else. All of these high turn-over events will give you a prime time. This is why we call it hunting at my school. You are essentially biding your time in the sand for something to come by.

So while you should prepare for a little harder semester using the advice above – nothing is over until it’s over. So keep looking. I know it sounds crazy, it took some time getting used to, but spend whatever time you need finding these classes, I learned fairly quickly this made semesters possible. When you apply no one will care if you took professors that had a 1 rating on ratemyprofessor, versus someone who had a genuine 4-5 (granted both classes are not online).

Don’t get discouraged by anything. My school system actually logs you out after 5-10 min of inactivity on the pages. This is to prevent people from sitting on multiple browsers, and just clicking one button to check for a class. You actually have to log back in almost every time. That didn’t stop me from grabbing the good professor for all my prereqs.

edit: something to consider. During high volume traffic others will be looking for a class as well. Over summer I got discouraged I wasnt going to get the biochem class I wanted. The prerequisite was done during summer A, and now in summer B I thought no one is really adding and dropping classes, everyone is trying to break from school. Wrong ! the class was added and dropped many times. So it can seem very discouraging, but if you are at a big state school like mine, or wherever, chances are people are continuously altering and fine-tuning their schedule. So dont get discouraged.

Good luck hunting ! :=|:-):

Reactions: 1 users
Just study. It doesn't matter how good or bad your teacher is. The only thing to worry about is how they grade and what assignments they give out.

I've read online the ratings of my professor, and most of them average pretty well. However, my Gchem professor is terrible from what I've read. And his rating is a 2.2... This scares me considering I'm terrible at high school chemistry. All the other good professors are occupied. Should I take this class next year and substitute with stats?
I had a 4.5 rated teacher that I hated and a 2.7 that was probably the best of my undergrad career.

Don't go off of online ratings alone.

Also gen chem=high school (maybe APish) chem.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 4.5 rated teacher that I hated and a 2.7 that was probably the best of my undergrad career.

Don't go off of online ratings alone.

Also gen chem=high school (maybe APish) chem.

Eh, online ratings work pretty well if you read the reviews past the number. Things like "Class was very difficult" "teacher gave tons of homework" should be taken with an entire shaker of salt as opposed to reviews that outright state "teacher is rude, disinterested, ineffective" etc...

OP, gen chem is one of those subjects that are pretty consistent across most schools in what they teach, so using online resources/review books to learn the material yourself would be a pretty decent solution. There are a ton of MCAT review books and online video series that should give you a pretty comprehensive overview of your gen chem courses.

Definitely take the ratings with a grain of salt on ratemyprfoessor.

Actually my professor I feel privileged to have had for Gen Chem, wrote on paper how students don’t “shop for easy classes on ratemyprofessor”. Rather they use it for “selective purposes”. Funny right :angelic:

Also don’t be afraid to ask for syllabus ahead of time if not available online.

Spring semester I had two professors to choose from for Physics II. I emailed both asking them to provide me with a sample test, just so I can see the nature of the questions and talk to someone about the test (upperclassman). I ended up taking the much harder professor because the other one used mastering physics for exams (a notoriously faulty program). This saved me a lot of hair-pulling.

Basically try to gather as much as possible before taking a class. Don’t hesitate to ask strangers at library. Even your advisors know names. Strategy is your friend.

Chemwiki.com
YouTube.com
Khanacademy.com
You can also buy an AP Chem study book.

So if I start to fall behind, what steps should I take???

you should be thinking along the lines what you can do to get ahead, not how to catch up.
Your main focus will be to find as many practice problems as you can. for E-V-E-R-Y single concept, you should find several practice questions. If a topic leaves you confident, then move on. Dont just do the back of the book problems, do all of those and online ones, and as many more you can find.

IF you fall behind on one concept in chemistry, you will put yourself in a horrible situation trying to catch up on a class that only builds on itself.

Also please do well on your first exam. Its a common trend that in these classes the average will go down. There are exceptions and some topics are more favorable and you might luck out, but for the majority of time, the first exam will be more manageable then the rest. So do well on your first exam. You want to be in a good position for final exams, so that you are not trying to score some extremely high score on your final to pull off an A. ITs much better to work hard all semester long, and only need a C or B on the final cumulative exam (if you have one at all), as you will be balancing other final exams during finals week.