GA-PCOM 2009- Where are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the eve of our first official day as second years, I thought it a propos to congratulate everyone as this is the 600th post for us. Looking forward to Part Two with y'all and endless (quite literally) hours of The Heart as a Pump.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that was 601. Oh well. I figured since I started this thread I might as well ask again "Class of 2009, where are you?". Studying the philosophy of vascular resistance and pondering the meaning of the "heart as a pump" I would imagine.....Are boards here yet?

BMW-

Drugtech said:
On the eve of our first official day as second years, I thought it a propos to congratulate everyone as this is the 600th post for us. Looking forward to Part Two with y'all and endless (quite literally) hours of The Heart as a Pump.

BMW19 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but that was 601. Oh well. I figured since I started this thread I might as well ask again "Class of 2009, where are you?". Studying the philosophy of vascular resistance and pondering the meaning of the "heart as a pump" I would imagine.....Are boards here yet?

BMW-

What do the Boards mean to you?? How do they make you feel?? The Boards are the like the Starship Enterprise....not to mention twoo toobs

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it is up to the founder to keep this going!! I saw we finally made the Princeton review medical schools guide. There is like a 2 line blurb about us being a branch school of Philly.

On that note I think they should have had a note in there about the fact that you should come with some sort of Pathology degree if you want to pass your exams second year!!

Subendocardial this!!!!

BMW-

8am tomorrow fellas, bring pads to apply to your forehead so you don't smack the table too hard...

8am tomorrow fellas, bring pads to apply to your forehead so you don't smack the table too hard...

Samdwi,
What does this mean? Is this an OMM thing? Scary!

Samdwi,
What does this mean? Is this an OMM thing? Scary!

cuz in OMM u have to lay down on a table sometimes on your back and sometimes on your stomach..while your partner practices OMM skills...
thats why he's saying to bring the pads...he was just joking btw...

I just can't let this thread die, it's my baby!!

BMW-

BMW,

Don't worry dude, this thread is here for Life.... Kinda like how long this quarter feels.

You missed a pretty good Halloween party. Ask Borat, Hanibal, or the Elephant and Giraffe.

Thanks for the reassurance man. Yeah I went to a lame party. I wasn't even dressed up, I was wearing a button down and jeans. Some guy came up to me and said "oh wait, your the Gap guy". I said "oh yeah your the comedian".

Buy a big screen LCD so we can have a super bowl party. I can't believe you procrastinate as much as me that you actually check this thread in the "bowels" of SDN. Had to throw in the GI pun for DR. Z!!

BMW-

BMW,

Don't worry dude, this thread is here for Life.... Kinda like how long this quarter feels.

You missed a pretty good Halloween party. Ask Borat, Hanibal, or the Elephant and Giraffe.

Can anyone please tell me this joke is good:

Question: What is the function of the Gluteus Maximus muscle???
Answer: It turns the head!!! HAR!!! that is a good joke if I ever saw one.
Anyone who thinks otherwise should be shot in the Gluteus Maximus.

Good one Sam. Here is a good one.

Pouring rain, live 40 miles away, looks like a monsoon.
Oh wait...that is not a joke!!!! Damn it!!!:mad:

BMW-

Can anyone please tell me this joke is good:

Question: What is the function of the Gluteus Maximus muscle???
Answer: It turns the head!!! HAR!!! that is a good joke if I ever saw one.
Anyone who thinks otherwise should be shot in the Gluteus Maximus.

It's interesting to look at the beginning of this thread and then watch it progress to it's current state. Where did all the joy go? What happened to the enthusiasm? When did our hope die?

*Sigh*, another day in paradise, kids :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
When things look bad, think of Choo!!

Bob came back, Choo can't be far behind..woo hoo!

Where's Choo at? Personally, I think him and Michael Rhodes are waiting for the new student lounge to make their appearance....

P.S. News just in. Did you know that the laptops work at the benches outside the school? Forget about the lottery, board time, etc... This fact in itself pacifies me completely.:D

By the way, get used to those benches, we'll be using that corner of the property for our Wilderness Medicine elective rotation....

Hey I was just accepted to PCOM-Ga and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on living situations, laptops for school, and any other advice that would be helpful.

As of now, we do not have any laptop requirements. I have a desktop at home, and use the computers at school when I need to - works well for me. Having a laptop is a bonus though, and a few students swear by it.

I'm waiting for third year to buy a laptop and PDA.

Most students live within 10 miles of school and many have roommates. A few people have bought homes, town homes etc and leased spare rooms to other students. I have one roommate and my monthly expenses (1/2 rent + utilities) comes to just under $500 on average - but I'm cheaper than most folks).

The apts around here are pretty decent except for Sterling Riverside Apts.

Talk to Aisha or Curtis in Admissions, they usually maintain a list of students who are looking for roommates etc.

Just a little holiday present to my thread.....bumpin it up!!

B-

And the GA-PCOM tradition of sucking an establishment dry of its last drop of alcohol continues...

Sugarloaf - check; W Hotel - check; Armaan - check, Judd and Corey's place - check; ...what's next?

anyone remember what day/time we are having our rotation lottery?

I'm going to apply to PCOM GA just because your thread cracks me up. Ya'll seem like a cool bunch of students. I better get on with it since it is late in the game.....oh well.....Thanks for keeping your thread alive.

anyone remember what day/time we are having our rotation lottery?

Brent- The lottery was yesterday. Sorry you missed out. I hope you enjoy your 3rd year rotations in North Korea. You Chu and M. Rhodes are gonna be in a group together. Seriously though, Im not certain. Tomorrow after lectures at some point. Im going to bring some food (as well as some body armor) because its going to be a long process im sure

SDN Rule #1: You can not make a Choo joke without my permission.
SDN Rule #2: If you do make a Choo joke without my permission, see rule #1!

Also,
The North Korea rotation is headed up by Dr. Otis Powell; housing, meals and radiation exposure provided by the Pyongyang AHEC. Remember, please do not contact them until Dr. Craver says it is OK to do so.

Anyone think that FBI Bob is really like an older 21 jump street and he is investigating the primate research that is going on at the school? Kinda like 42 jump street? Oh wait is Bob going to see this......and take me away......HELP!!!!

I think choo was a double agent! Oops sorry Sam....rule #1

This thread ain't dead yet...

Did anyone else get a petite mal trying to figure out what pathological process occurred with that Senator in the exam today?

i think that he changed the case from real life....he talked about it in class, but he doesnt even know what test hes on. The important information was presented yesterday: I find it essential to realise that frustrated monkeys drink twice as much. If i was a monkey id be frustrated too... i mean they are so be behind the times. The more important question is where the hell are these monkeys getting etoh?

Where indeed. Also, can they get it on a Sunday?

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for them. I have heard stories of monkeys doing some amazing things. Also giraffes.

On a side note, don't ever take off your shoes by the air hockey table. There is a guy who hangs out around there that has a thing for them...

I was wondering what Corey was doing with my shoes since the halloween party but now i know.

Has anyone seen my roll of Saran Wrap, I keep it under the pool table and now its gone...

Wow Urological oncology!! 10 year residency
B-

i think that he changed the case from real life....he talked about it in class, but he doesnt even know what test hes on. The important information was presented yesterday: I find it essential to realise that frustrated monkeys drink twice as much. If i was a monkey id be frustrated too... i mean they are so be behind the times. The more important question is where the hell are these monkeys getting etoh?

Oh Boy, Oh Boy,
Specialties are here,
With 9 to 5 all the time,
we're going to need some beer!

"It's not that bad"
they try to say,
But most of us won't show up,
Just like Bill and BJ!

Goljan is coming? To talk about livers?
I'll believe it when I see it...
is it all smoke and mirrors?

Do not give up, class of 2009!!
Maybe, just maybe, we'll all do just fine!
We may pass boards, or we may not,
But cirrhosed livers, we all surely got!

It's not COMLEX that worries me,
nor is it Medicine and Society,
But I do need some clarification:
What happens when we fail
a clinical rotation?

If we do fail,
what do we do next?
Do we remediate?
Re-read our Histo text?
Someone please tell me:
what do I do?
Do I end up
like Otis Powell and Choo?

Rotations are what
turn boys into men,
if you can't make it,
join the class of 2010!!

Ok..Guys I am very curious how many nontraditional students have been admitted to GA-PCOM. I am 35 and thinking about giving it a go. I have realized that teaching high school just has not replaced that desire I have always had for medicine. I was shocked the other day when I went to the AACOM page and seen a DO school in Georgia. I now am working on a plan so that I will applying next year in 2008. GA-PCOM would be the top of my list and was wondering how many nontraditional students have been admitted.
Thanks for any info.

Not sure the exact answer to that, but I am one of them. I will be starting there in August. I say go for it. When I interviewed there I was told of several experienced people attending school there.

I am a traditional med student, but we have several non-traditional students in our class (2009) and the class of 2010. Many are married, have children, worked in other fields previously (teaching, engineering, paramedics, what not) before coming to medical school.

GA-PCOM (and most DO schools for that matter), are accepting of non-trads. It is a matter of showing the college you are truly interested in medicine as a lifelong career and that you are doing it for the right reasons.

I believe our eldest student at GA-PCOm is 47 or 48 years old., with a couple more in their mid 40's and several in their 30s.

Ok..Guys I am very curious how many nontraditional students have been admitted to GA-PCOM. I am 35 and thinking about giving it a go. I have realized that teaching high school just has not replaced that desire I have always had for medicine. I was shocked the other day when I went to the AACOM page and seen a DO school in Georgia. I now am working on a plan so that I will applying next year in 2008. GA-PCOM would be the top of my list and was wondering how many nontraditional students have been admitted.
Thanks for any info.

Well Alpha team, there is always Internal medicine and Family practice!! At least I got the chest tube Q right and didn't put it in the good side!

On another note,

Scottj72- I am 30 years old and had a prior career. Message me if you have any Q's

BMW-

Thanks for any info.

Recently overheard at GA-PCOM student gathering...

Flava Flav: Which of the following was not a live-cell vaccine?

Everyone replies: Diptheria

GA-PCOM SGA Treasurer: Cootie shots? Cootie shots aren't live vaccines, right? Did anyone else put down cootie-shots? Circle cirlce dot dot...

Everyone else: Circle circle dot dot?? are you friggin' ******ed?? Cootie's don't EXIST, Mr. Treasurer...

GA-PCOM SGA Treasurer: all the more reason its the right answer...

GA-PCOM SGA VP: Well, maybe you should challenge the question...

Mr. Treasurer: Maybe I will...anyone have Harrison's handy...

GA-PCOM SGA VP: I think its under the hookah, don't move it just yet..blub blub blurply blub blurple...

Beano: Stop talking about the damn test!!....Really? Cooties??

GA-PCOM Pres: Where's Kerns? Who stole my f****** phone...KERNS you little s***...

Kerns: What phone? What phone? khe khe khe khe...yeah yeah yeah yeah....

Random Freshman: HEY EVERYBODY!! TEQUILA SHOTS!!!!!!!

Everybody: WOOHOO!!

SGA VP: oh crap....where's the exit?

NQBN: Damn feminists ruin everything, I can't do Tequila shots because of them....hmmph, I'm gonna go do 13 minutes of Goljan now...

The point of this story...Yes, GA-PCOM has non-traditional, non-normal students in the BROADEST sense of the term, so come one, come all, and join the show at GA-PCOM!!

Well Alpha team, there is always Internal medicine and Family practice!! At least I got the chest tube Q right and didn't put it in the good side!

On another note,

Scottj72- I am 30 years old and had a prior career. Message me if you have any Q's

BMW-

Thanks for any info.

I'm non-traditional. Former psychotherapist, and amateur underwear model. Amateur only to keep my status of being able to compete Olympically.
Have wife and we had our first child the end of year 1.
First year of med school with a pregnant wife is a alot like Wes Alexander's mom: tough but do-able.

any questions, i'm happy to answer. I spend approx. 0 hours on this site, and have -4 hours free time on any given day.

Oh and also, I just turned 62 years old.

PS - this class is filled with losers who enjoy losing.

Congrats to you guys who just finished up your boards and started your rotations.

For those of us starting in August, do you mind giving us some feedback on your experience for the boards? Did you feel prepared? Did your score match your expectations? Things you wish the school had or had not done for you to prepare?

How have your first set of rotations been?
Thanks!
Marcia

OK, GA-PCOMers, scores for COMLEX upto June 15th are up. Does anybody understand what the damn two-digit score means?

It is not a percentile, but then what is it??

Why does it exist--to confuse MD residency directors????

Any light on this issue is appreciated, NBOME.org tries to explain it, but fails horribly, they might as well have explained it in sign language.

2 units epi STAT...and put in another hemabate...this thread is dying.......

CLEAR!!!...........ZZZAAAAPPP!!!!!......booooooooooooooop.....

I think it's time to let go...

Shouldn't you be out delivering babies or something? :p

Never ever say time to let it go!!! This is my baby and I say when it goes.....

COMLEX: Assume 100 points less than what you expected, 2 digit score is NOT a percentile, then what the Heck is it!! does not say on the website. Only says what it isn't

In the ER 2 beers= 2 cases
Are you pregnant?- Any pause means yes absolutely Dr.
If you walk in the room and a little old lady is whiter than her hair be very very worried, call the blood bank.
Don't ever leave the railing down on someone with hx of seizures, No it wasn't me Sam!
If someone says they feel like they are going to die, believe them! Get the crash cart

1 year, 10 months until we work 80 hours a week for 8 bucks an hour!!

I think it's time to let go...

Shouldn't you be out delivering babies or something? :p

Sam or BMW,
How about updating us on how your third year is going? What are locations are available, quality of teaching (anything uniques about the teaching format), lodging provided (or not), any other cool experiences, thoughts on Step I (did anyone also take USMLE), and any informal thoughts on what percentage of the class passed Step I.
Thanks!

Sam or BMW,
How about updating us on how your third year is going? What are locations are available, quality of teaching (anything uniques about the teaching format), lodging provided (or not), any other cool experiences, thoughts on Step I (did anyone also take USMLE), and any informal thoughts on what percentage of the class passed Step I.
Thanks!

So far so good rotations-wise. I have done Family Med, Internal Med and am now on OB/GYN.

IM and OBGYN have been at Atl. Med. Center. I had a good time in IM, not so much with OBGYN - it is a field which does not interest me at all.

Our main hospitals include AMC, Gwinnet Medical Center, Columbus Regional, Floyd Medical, Spartanburg Regional and a bunch of smaller hospitals in GA, AL, TN, SC, FL.

Some students are spending a year in West Palm Beach FL, I dunno how they're doing.

I took comlex and did good, as did many others. several people took USMLE and have done well (in the 240's and higher). I don't know a passing rate yet as not everyone has taken boards yet, but would know probably in november or december.

There is no housing if the rotation is in atlanta or near school, but most other places have housing - some housing is good, some is so-so.

I have not had any problems being a DO student - everyone seems welcoming and doesn't care about your degree, just your performance and confidence.

At AMC, we take call often, and stay at the hospital upto 30 hours straight when on call, i'm sure its not different at other hospitals - depends on the attending doctors and senior residents.

Wow we actually have to be serious now? Ok I can do that....sort of

3rd year is going well. Anything is better than being out of the classroom (except OB according to SAM). The hospitals we have are quality, as Sam said everyone is going to have different experiences at the same hospital because you will be with different attendings and residents at different times of the year. Apparently July is not a fantastic time to be with residents from what I hear. I have only done FM, an elective and ER. ER at Dekalb Medical Center east of the city was quality and a great experience. No residents there so it is a different experience than AMC.

I did not take USMLE but have heard mixed things about scores. I did average on COMLEX and was somewhat disappointed. Felt better coming out of it than my score showed but its ok. Just have to rock Step II!

As Sam said we will not know pass rate until everyone has taken it. Apparently a school rule is to have to pass it by Dec. so we will prob know by then.

Hope this helps. Sorry you had to read our ramblings!

BMW-
Creator of this amazingly viewed thread

Sam or BMW,
Thanks!

Hey you guys! I was sitting here trying to study and thought to take a break and see what's happening on SDN. It is not the same without you. It is very quiet here. I actually get a lot of studying done!!!! I miss you all, don't forget to stop and say, "Hi" when you are doing your advanced clinicals.

Hello, could someone answer a question for me please?

I am interviewing in two days, and I've been kind of worried about residency.

Seeing how PCOM-Ga hasn't graduated a class yet, what is the word on residency?

Will PCOM-Ga match as well as PCOM in Philadelphia?

If this is a stupid question, just tell me. But I am seriously wondering...