GA-PCOM-Current Students-Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Munky28

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! My 2nd post ever on SDN! Wish I'd known about this before!

I was just accepted to GA-PCOM and I'm so excited! I've got a few questions I was too nervous to ask any of ya'll at the interview. How are your 3rd and 4th year clinicals structured? Do they have all the details hammered out? Will you have to travel to the Philadelphia campus?

I felt a crazy inclination for the first time yesterday that I might want to be an anesthesiologist. Any of you MS1 or MS2's thinking about it also? If you do well enough on the boards, is it possible to score a residency?

One last thing, are there any need based or academic scholarships for GA-PCOM students besides the military or NHSC programs?

Thanks so much for the help!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

MSII's will get there rotation schedule some time in the next few months. I am pretty sure that the rotations will all be in the south and you will not have to travel to Philli (unless you want to for electives).

There is a club for just about every specialty, so you should be able to find someone who shares your interest.

As for scholarships, you should get a packet pretty soon, but the best thing to do is contact the fin aid department and talk to them directly.

Hope this helps.

I also was just accepted to PCOM-Ga. Is anyone interested instarting a list for possibly setting up some roommates?

Members don't see this ad :)
The nice thing about our school is that unlike most new schools, our rotations were set up before the school was even built. The rotation sites have been well established for a while and the list is growing. You will mostly be in GA with the exception of possibly having to travel to AL or SC for a month or 2. It is a lottery system as is with most schools. I don't believe you can travel to Philly 3rd year but 4th year it is a good possibility.

Actually you are in a great position of if you want to do anesthesia because there are a good # of osteopathic Anest. residencies so you won't have to compete with the MD's if you don't want to.

The only new scholarship I have heard of is this Grad plus loan although I have to say it is not really a scholarship but more of a better loan option. I don't know that much about, maybe someone can chime in....

Hope this helps

BMW-

Hi Guys! My 2nd post ever on SDN! Wish I'd known about this before!

I was just accepted to GA-PCOM and I'm so excited! I've got a few questions I was too nervous to ask any of ya'll at the interview. How are your 3rd and 4th year clinicals structured? Do they have all the details hammered out? Will you have to travel to the Philadelphia campus?

I felt a crazy inclination for the first time yesterday that I might want to be an anesthesiologist. Any of you MS1 or MS2's thinking about it also? If you do well enough on the boards, is it possible to score a residency?

One last thing, are there any need based or academic scholarships for GA-PCOM students besides the military or NHSC programs?

Thanks so much for the help!!!:D

Adding to BMW's response;

Some of us have the option of spending all of third year rotations in the West Palm Beach area (essentailly the network NSU-COM uses). I belive there are 12 or 13 spots for this.

I have been told that this system is pretty good (about 4 hospitals) by a few Nova students and others, and it has residents in IM, FP, Surg, Derm and EM, so were surrounded by academic medicine. I haven't perosnally been to this site yet, but I plan on going down there to check it out.

Also, there is small option (about 6 students), who can spend their third year in Alabama - but this option is for Alabma residents only who are students at GA-PCOM.