Gabapentin and Pregabalin Suck for Low Back Pain/Sciatica

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Anticonvulsants in the treatment of low back pain and lumbar radicular pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Oliver Enke, Heather A. New, Charles H. New, Stephanie Mathieson, Andrew J. McLachlan, Jane Latimer, Christopher G. Maher and C.-W. Christine Lin
CMAJ July 03, 2018 190 (26) E786-E793; DOI: Anticonvulsants in the treatment of low back pain and lumbar radicular pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Abstract
BACKGROUND: The use of anticonvulsants (e.g., gabapentin, pregabalin) to treat low back pain has increased substantially in recent years despite limited supporting evidence. We aimed to determine the efficacy and tolerability of anticonvulsants in the treatment of low back pain and lumbar radicular pain compared with placebo.

METHODS: A search was conducted in 5 databases for studies comparing an anticonvulsant to placebo in patients with nonspecific low back pain, sciatica or neurogenic claudication of any duration. The outcomes were self-reported pain, disability and adverse events. Risk of bias was assessed using the Physiotherapy Evidence Database (PEDro) scale, and quality of evidence was assessed using Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE). Data were pooled and treatment effects were quantified using mean differences for continuous and risk ratios for dichotomous outcomes.

RESULTS: Nine trials compared topiramate, gabapentin or pregabalin to placebo in 859 unique participants. Fourteen of 15 comparisons found anticonvulsants were not effective to reduce pain or disability in low back pain or lumbar radicular pain; for example, there was high-quality evidence of no effect of gabapentinoids versus placebo on chronic low back pain in the short term (pooled mean difference [MD] −0.0, 95% confidence interval [CI] −0.8 to 0.7) or for lumbar radicular pain in the immediate term (pooled MD −0.1, 95% CI −0.7 to 0.5). The lack of efficacy is accompanied by increased risk of adverse events from use of gabapentinoids, for which the level of evidence is high.

INTERPRETATION: There is moderate- to high-quality evidence that anticonvulsants are ineffective for treatment of low back pain or lumbar radicular pain. There is high-quality evidence that gabapentinoids have a higher risk for adverse events.

Members don't see this ad.

Another bullet in the gun of those who fire back at us stating “ only Percocet helps”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of what we do is Voodoo

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. GIGO.

2. Agree. worth a trial and then taper off if no benefit, as side effects are still more benign than those associated with opioids.

Reactions: 1 users
Topamax was the only one in all the studies that showed benefit for radiculopathy pain.
Side effect of weight loss. Patient says yes please.

Reactions: 5 users
Topamax was the only one in all the studies that showed benefit for radiculopathy pain.

Dopamax - side effect of stupidity
lucky if you get much weight loss

Stupemax.

I remember being excited about the weight loss side effect in fellowship and really selling it to people with that. I have never noticed nearly as much weight loss as cognitive side effects

I use qhs dosing of topamax and start low and go up slow. I have had several patients lose more than 100lb on it but most can only tolerate 125-150mg qhs.

Reactions: 2 users
Topamax's weight effects seem primarily related to changing the way food tastes and seems to help the really obese folks more.

My patients might just be too far gone to notice a decrement in cognitive ability. I do also stay at lower doses of 100 - 200/day. The literature suggests only 10% of people have problems with cognition in the broader population, but some of that may just be their underlying disorder or other medications for epilepsy/etc.

Plenty of success with topamax with weight loss. Not sure if it was only the topamax, as some coaching was involved.

What about glaucoma or hx of kidney stones in a patient you want to start on topamax? Is this significant?

Also...any thoughts on alpha lipoic acid for neuropathy?

What about glaucoma or hx of kidney stones in a patient you want to start on topamax? Is this significant?

Also...any thoughts on alpha lipoic acid for neuropathy?

I think it’s a risk assessment for the most part. No absolute contraindications for IR, just XR dealing with recent ETOH use and metabolic acidosis. Don’t have much experience with alpha lipoic acid, would love to learn more.

PM me for ALA discussion and we can discuss

Or, if others are interested, chime in and we can start a new thread

Regarding topiramate I’m so interested to hear so many of my thoughts echoes here. I’ve prescribed it a lot last couple years.

I have one friend who is an RN who never had kidney stones before and developed them on topiramate. Had to have lithotripsy x 2. But topiramate it helps her a lot. So I consulted urology. I was honestly floored about their lack of
Interest. They were like, just have them squeeze a lemon wedge into a big bottle of water to drink daily for the citrate issue and send urine and serum labs if it happens again.

I would have thought they would have had a more nuanced approach to

-what type of stone did they develop
-what were the serum an urine study results RE citrate and calcium and other stuff

So I looked on pubmed and I think I need to take my own approach to this to manage this risk, because it seems a lot can be done to further stratify their risk even if they have never had them before. Yes may be coincidence but kidney stones hurt bad and I never want to think any patients suffered through them without me doing all I could to prevent them. And all it would take to further stratify their risk is a handout they could take to their PCP

My experience (I titrate to effect or side effect, only qhs, and only up to 200mg/night)

-50-60%can tolerate it without being too sleepy in the morning (I agree it’s a function of many pain patients not living a life that requires much cognitive reserve...but who cares? The “dopamax” is not permanent; try it on a weeeknd and titrate to effect to see if it works...same w gabapentin...please correct my thinking if this is too cavalier...I never Rx with hx if closed angle glaucoma or kidney stones )
-half of the 50-60% loose a significant amount of weight, sleep through the night without pain, and have at least a small amount of reduced pain during the day...the weight loss is the significant satisfied
-my psychiatry buddies say the mood stabilizing effect is pretty weak but it’s there for some

I agree with what others here have said

Please give me feedback on my approach

Seems safe

Can also check a serum level if not sure or refer to neurology to consult if tolerating a starting dose but unsure of risk v benefit at therapeutic doses

Seems all my Topamax patients can't handle the side effects. Are you doing a VERY slow titration up to 50mg BID? I can rarely get anyone past this dose or up to this dose.

Seems all my Topamax patients can't handle the side effects. Are you doing a VERY slow titration up to 50mg BID? I can rarely get anyone past this dose or up to this dose.

25 bid if frail, 50 bid to start, 100 bid if not complaining of side effects and ongoing neuropathic pain.

What’s your success with Cymbalta for low back and lumbar radic?

What’s your success with Cymbalta for low back and lumbar radic?
1 in 10 get good relief. The rest either nothing, a little relief or couldn’t tolerate it due to nausea or sedation which I don’t get...nocebo effect

I see benefit, particularly from the anxiety and psychological component for pain, in about 40%. better than gabapentin. lyrica tends to be liked a bit more because it gets some people high.

which is what the data says...