Gaining In-State Residency as an OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureToothFairy_12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at dental schools in Texas. I've seen that Texas schools are OOS unfriendly but I am highly interested in attending one of them. I am considering permanently moving in with a relative that lives in Texas to gain residency and transferring to a college there. This way, even though it will be competitive to get in, it won't be too difficult to apply as if I were to apply as an OOS. Is this plan worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it is worth it because their tuition is very low and the schools are great.

I see that you need to live in texas for 12 months before Texas schools consider you a resident. Would that mean you need to be a resident before you even apply?

I would say it is worth it because their tuition is very low and the schools are great.

I see that you need to live in texas for 12 months before Texas schools consider you a resident. Would that mean you need to be a resident before you even apply?
Yes that's what I was told.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did this( moved from CO to TX), you have to establish a domicile too, simply taking classes and living there ( only exception is if your relative is your parents) doesn't give you residency. There a few ways to do it; owning a physical business, owning property, or working an average of 20+ hours a week and paying your own taxes( what I did).

Reactions: 1 user
I did this( moved from CO to TX), you have to establish a domicile too, simply taking classes and living there ( only exception is if your relative is your parents) doesn't give you residency. There a few ways to do it; owning a physical business, owning property, or working an average of 20+ hours a week and paying your own taxes( what I did).
Thank you for the response. So you're saying if the relative I'm referring to are my parents it doesn't give me residency? What if it's like a cousin or something and I move in with them would I be able to establish residency? Also for the job, could it be a campus job or does it have to be a regular job like retail?