Jul 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I am looking at dental schools in Texas. I've seen that Texas schools are OOS unfriendly but I am highly interested in attending one of them. I am considering permanently moving in with a relative that lives in Texas to gain residency and transferring to a college there. This way, even though it will be competitive to get in, it won't be too difficult to apply as if I were to apply as an OOS. Is this plan worth it?

caffeine jitters

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I would say it is worth it because their tuition is very low and the schools are great.

I see that you need to live in texas for 12 months before Texas schools consider you a resident. Would that mean you need to be a resident before you even apply?

About the Ads
Feb 7, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I did this( moved from CO to TX), you have to establish a domicile too, simply taking classes and living there ( only exception is if your relative is your parents) doesn't give you residency. There a few ways to do it; owning a physical business, owning property, or working an average of 20+ hours a week and paying your own taxes( what I did).

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I did this( moved from CO to TX), you have to establish a domicile too, simply taking classes and living there ( only exception is if your relative is your parents) doesn't give you residency. There a few ways to do it; owning a physical business, owning property, or working an average of 20+ hours a week and paying your own taxes( what I did).
Thank you for the response. So you're saying if the relative I'm referring to are my parents it doesn't give me residency? What if it's like a cousin or something and I move in with them would I be able to establish residency? Also for the job, could it be a campus job or does it have to be a regular job like retail?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.