Gaining partial credit of residency after termination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentnow1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was terminated in June 2012 from a residency program. I successfully completed 8months of training, receiving passing scores for thoses months, but then the attendings started giving me low/ failing scores after I complained about the abuse of another Attending. I want to get partial credit for the rotations I successfully completed so I can use it to transfer to another program.

Can anyone give me some advice????

Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I was terminated in June 2012 from a residency program. I successfully completed 8months of training, receiving passing scores for thoses months, but then the attendings started giving me low/ failing scores after I complained about the abuse of another Attending. I want to get partial credit for the rotations I successfully completed so I can use it to transfer to another program.

Help!

Not gonna happen. I mean...it's theoretically possible. But PDs have complete discretion regarding credit for "time served." I've seen people complete 1-2 years who had to start over. It's honestly not worth the trouble.

Hi all!

Help!

Sounds like you need to find yourself another residency program and get yourself a lawyer to review all the documents and accusations against you.

You can have your credits count toward licensure, but thats about all you can do with them, and it is not enough to gain licensure in the US. However, I think there are some islands that take 6 months of residency, but Im not exactly sure. You'll have to check with the fsmb.org.

Some programs may take your credits, but usually it would have to be an off-cycle position. All in all you probably have to start over to become a physician. I have to do that too.

Since you were terminated, you would be able to take legal action and possibly win. I resigned voluntarily so relinquished that right. However, it is probably just better to move on. Legal action on your record doesn't look good for a physician, unfortunately.

Good luck!:luck:

I would recommend starting with something very basic and simple. Ask your prior program. They may be willing to document that you satisfactorily completed X number of months before being terminated. They may not. But you should simply ask as a first step.

If they refuse, there is honestly nothing you can do. Legal action is very difficult. You'd need to either prove you were discriminated against (i.e. because of your sex, race, religion, etc), or claim whistleblower protections. Other than that, you will not get far. Even with those options, unless you've got solid proof, you will likely lose.

I would recommend starting with something very basic and simple. Ask your prior program. They may be willing to document that you satisfactorily completed X number of months before being terminated. They may not. But you should simply ask as a first step.

If they refuse, there is honestly nothing you can do. Legal action is very difficult. You'd need to either prove you were discriminated against (i.e. because of your sex, race, religion, etc), or claim whistleblower protections. Other than that, you will not get far. Even with those options, unless you've got solid proof, you will likely lose.

And even if you come through all that on the other side a "winner," the most you're likely to get is an agreement from the program that fired you to not say anything mean about you when asked.

And again, no matter how much credit the program decides to grant you, it is completely up to the discretion of your next PD (assuming there is one) to decide how much of that credit to give you.

Not any help to you, I'm afraid, but the lesson for anyone else leaving a program (for whatever reason) is to get credits and references sorted out before you actually leave. Once you've left, the program has no interest in helping you out and you have no leverage on them.

"Not any help to you, I'm afraid, but the lesson for anyone else leaving a program (for whatever reason) is to get credits and references sorted out before you actually leave. Once you've left, the program has no interest in helping you out and you have no leverage on them."

Agree with this. The only ppl I know who got credit for time served in another residency were ppl who had good lawyers...which usually requires that your family has $ b/c otherwise where is a resident going to get the money for a good attorney? If you have a good atty, might be able to get them to sign something where they won't say anything bad about you to your next program, and get credit for x months of residency. But it will still be up to your new program director whether to accept the credit or not. 8 months is almost not enough to worry about...you are going to have to do another 3 yrs of residency anyway so I wouldn't spin your wheels now at this point trying to get credit b/c you probably won't. I would spend your energy just trying to get into a new residency, and to figure out what went wrong for you in the first place.

And even if you come through all that on the other side a "winner," the most you're likely to get is an agreement from the program that fired you to not say anything mean about you when asked.

And again, no matter how much credit the program decides to grant you, it is completely up to the discretion of your next PD (assuming there is one) to decide how much of that credit to give you.
Totally agree. I guess the point I was trying to make is that any new program has zero chance of giving you credit unless the old program gives you some credit. But as stated in the posts above this, this is complete at the new PD's discretion.

Always complain anonymously!!!!!!