Gaining Phlebotomy experience in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurosa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey cool people,

So I just started the first day of my classes in phlebotomy course to get a certificate as a phlebotomy technician -1. Which is required in CA to work. And I already love it. It is super cool and excited (for me personally) to get practically trained. The sad thing is I heard it is really difficult to get a job out there as a phlebotomist without any experience. Are there any people here who are already working and could you give me some tips on how to get a job? I am planning on doing it part time or per diem during undergrad (just finished my first year at a community college and will hopefully transfer next year)
Do you know if there is any volunteering position or something I could do to gain some experience? I am not picky about the pay, I just really want to be able to work in the field without losing the skills in the time that I will spend applying. (I hear some horror stories of people not getting hired for 5+ years..)
Thanks in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey cool people,

So I just started the first day of my classes in phlebotomy course to get a certificate as a phlebotomy technician -1. Which is required in CA to work. And I already love it. It is super cool and excited (for me personally) to get practically trained. The sad thing is I heard it is really difficult to get a job out there as a phlebotomist without any experience. Are there any people here who are already working and could you give me some tips on how to get a job? I am planning on doing it part time or per diem during undergrad (just finished my first year at a community college and will hopefully transfer next year)
Do you know if there is any volunteering position or something I could do to gain some experience? I am not picky about the pay, I just really want to be able to work in the field without losing the skills in the time that I will spend applying. (I hear some horror stories of people not getting hired for 5+ years..)
Thanks in advance:)
Wish I could offer some help and hope. I know 3 people in CA who couldn't find work and just gave up after a year. They were in the central coastal area of CA, and to be honest I really don't know how hard they tried. What area are you in? Hopefully the market might be better for you in your area.

Why would you go to a training course that you know has poor job prospects?