2022 Graduate Job Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivybme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured it might be good to post an actual list of the jobs that grads have received so that we have actual, concrete data of the job market in 2022. This is just a snapshot and does not necessarily mean jobs will get better or worse, but I figured this would be a good place to start. I'll start with the Big 3 (as mentioned in a different thread), and post some other ones later on.

EDIT: PP means both private practice and non-academic hospital employment.

MDACC:

MDACC
MDACC Satellite
MDACC Satellite
PP Upstate NY
PP Kentucky
PP Florida
PP Texas

MSKCC:
PP Tennessee
MSKCC
Duke University
UT Southwestern
UNC
Rockefeller University (post doc)?

HROP:
MDACC
MGH
MGH
BWH
BWH Satellite

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Other "Top 10" programs (please PM me if I am incorrect anywhere):

Penn
Penn Satellite
PP IL (Chicago Metro)
PP MA (Boston Metro)
PP DE

Mayo
Mayo
PP AZ
PP NY (Rochester)

Stanford
Stanford
University of Washington
Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic FL
PP KY

UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF

WashU
MDACC
PP IL
PP MO
PP WI

Johns Hopkins
UNC
Case Western
NYU
PP PA

Michigan
PP SC
PP HI

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Some other programs:

UCSD
OHSU
PP OR
PP WA

Yale
Penn
Northwell / Hofstra
PP VA

Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic Satellite
PP NC
PP IL

UChicago
UChicago
Dartmouth

Duke

Duke
Duke (postdoc)
UNC

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some other programs:

UCSD
OHSU
PP OR
PP WA

Yale
Penn
Northwell / Hofstra
PP VA

Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic Satellite
PP NC
PP IL
This is for people that started working in summer 2022? Or next year?

I am included in this list above for a PP job. I reached out to my eventual employer towards end of med school (when I matched) and remained in consistent contact throughout all of residency. Feel lucky to have my gig. It was "not posted on ASTRO board".

Other thing to point out is how many of those academic jobs above are fellowships or instructor positions...I don't know anyone personally that took one of these jobs so can't really ask specifics, but some of those academic positions are not at the level of asst professor and I worry are not necessarily fairly compensated.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Not sure if all are true PP in the sense of the word... A lot of non-academic hospital employment getting labeled as PP
That's true, all PP are technically just non-academic. I will clarify this.

Last edited:
Some additional statistics of the graduates of these 15 programs:
35/57 residents (62%) ended up in academic jobs (5 of which were satellites), and thus 38% were non-academic jobs.
19/57 residents (33%) ended up in a home program.

Of these 15 programs:
9/14 programs had a resident go to a non-home academic program (MDACC, Penn, Mayo, UCSF, CCF only had residents land academic jobs in their home program; UM only had PP programs so did not count).
4/15 programs ONLY had residents going into academics (HROP, UCSF, UChicago, Duke)
1/15 programs ONLY had residents going into non-academics (UM)

Some more programs:

Beaumont (corrected)
PP Long Island
PP Ann Arbor
PP Port Huron

Last edited:
I am included in this list above for a PP job. I reached out to my eventual employer towards end of med school (when I matched) and remained in consistent contact throughout all of residency. Feel lucky to have my gig. It was "not posted on ASTRO board".

Other thing to point out is how many of those academic jobs above are fellowships or instructor positions...I don't know anyone personally that took one of these jobs so can't really ask specifics, but some of those academic positions are not at the level of asst professor and I worry are not necessarily fairly compensated.

Based on the data I've seen fellowships more common than instructor and both are relatively rare. Less than 20 total in 2018. There should be 0 though.

I would love to hear more thoughts about the "happiness outcome" from people like you that targeted a job before even starting residency and got it. Strong work, congrats!

Based on the data I've seen fellowships more common than instructor and both are relatively rare. Less than 20 total in 2018. There should be 0 though.
Still haven't heard a legit reason to do a fellowship in rad Onc outside of brachy except to wait out the job market a year...

Still haven't heard a legit reason to do a fellowship in rad Onc outside of brachy except to wait out the job market a year...

It should be goal directed and needs a dedicated mentor to make sense. Research fellowship for a PS is a good example. You need more training than MD-PhD and residency to know how to run a lab well. Another example, I once met a person that was doing a proton fellowship and planned to go back home outside the US to run a proton center.

Still disagree brachy fellowships are needed. It's not like surgical oncology specialities, there are plenty of ROs doing high volume brachy that are not fellowship trained and it would be hard to show they do a worse job than those who go to fellowship.

If a program cant support high volume brachy training in some way, it shouldn't exist.

Reactions: 5 users
It should be goal directed and needs a dedicated mentor to make sense. Research fellowship for a PS is a good example. You need more training than MD-PhD and residency to know how to run a lab well. Another example, I once met a person that was doing a proton fellowship and planned to go back home outside the US to run a proton center.

Still disagree brachy fellowships are needed. It's not like surgical oncology specialities, there are plenty of ROs doing high volume brachy that are not fellowship trained and it would be hard to show they do a worse job than those who go to fellowship.

If a program cant support high volume brachy training in some way, it shouldn't exist.
Fair point.... So basically for grads practicing clinically in the US no legit need for fellowships, fits in with the fact that none of them are accredited. I feel similarly about peds also... If you have to go to st Jude's to get your peds done, your institution probably isn't big enough to warrant having a residency program (needs to be a tertiary care center with peds onc at the minimum).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users