Gap in employment as a retail pharmacist

Started by domo0708
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

domo0708

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently graduated pharmacy school and began working as a retail pharmacist. I've always wanted to take a year off to travel, but I have not been able to achieve this goal yet. I am hoping to do this after 2-3 years of working and saving money, but am not sure if I should be even considering this given the current outlook for pharmacist jobs. I wanted to hear some thoughts of other pharmacists out there. Is this dream way too far fetched given the current job outlook?
 
Not at all. I know a couple of pharmacists in my district who took off and traveled for a few years and they're doing fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Lnsean
Did the pharmacists who took off do so after many years of practice and how hard of a time did they have finding their current position after travel?
 
Last edited:
This is my first time on sdn and I will be able to pay off my loans by the end of the year

If you had already paid of your loan then it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Have other pharmacists done it before and had no problem finding work? Sure. However, it doesn't mean you will be able to do it as well. It is a risk you will have to take. Good luck.
 
You might search for the other thread. The basic consensus was, if you can show you were doing something constructive during your travel time (like Doctors Without Borders or Red Cross or other volunteer work), it should all be good. If you are traveling, just because you don't want to be working, it makes you look uncommitted and a poor employment risk. Which doesn't mean you won't be able to find a job, it just most likely won't be your ideal job or in a desirable locale.