Gap year advice and next steps (DIY vs. post-bacc vs. SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mangamind

Reaction score
Hello all! Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm looking for advice on what to do with my upcoming gap year(s).

I'm a senior about to graduate with bachelor's in biology in a couple of weeks. I realized that I want to be a doctor at the start of senior year and have started volunteering and shadowing and formulating gap year plans to build my app up to scratch since I'm behind the pack. This is definitely extremely late but I've been having motivational issues due to COVID affecting everything. I'm undecided at the moment and would love opinions on my situation and next steps.

I'm mainly interested in MD but not averse to DO.

Stats:
  • cGPA 3.50 (3.7 -> 3.1 -> 3.5 -> 3.8) and sGPA 3.47 (3.8 -> 2.9 -> 3.4 -> 4.0). Upward trend starting from sophomore through senior year. I was on track to do well this semester too but my institution is doing mandatory P/F in light of the pandemic so I'll finish with my fall GPA. Looking to enhance to be more competitive for MD.
  • No MCAT yet. Just started content review and am planning to take in early fall.
  • 50 hr clinical and 20 hr non-clinical volunteering, as well as 12 hours shadowing. I'm aware that I'm severely lacking in this department - partly why I'm taking a gap year.
  • 1 year physics TA and 3 years unpaid biology mentor.
  • 2.5 years ongoing research experience (split into 1.5 years and 1 year ongoing in two different wet lab focused on cell biology). No publications.
  • Officer in two different campus clubs with rising seniority over 3 years.
MCAT timing:

I realize that a lot of this is contingent on my MCAT score and I'm willing to spend a lot of time studying for it (hopefully the shortened exam doesn't spell disaster). But I also think my GPA needs enhancement, which I want to achieve by taking more science credits. I'm very undecided on the timing of either: whether I should take the MCAT soon before entering a post-bacc, or do it during or after, as I'm not sure how long I'll need to study to achieve a competitive MCAT. I'd like to avoid studying for the MCAT during the post-bacc or SMP since I've heard that doesn't end well.

DIY vs. formal post-bacc vs. SMP:

I've applied and am waiting to hear back from BU MAMS, JHU HSI, WashU, and UPenn. If anyone can shed light on these programs, that would be fantastic!

Assuming I get straight As, if I take 40 more science credits I can raise my cGPA to 3.65 and sGPA to 3.67. However, I'm very unsure as to whether I should do a DIY vs. formal enhancer vs. SMP. I see many people recommending a DIY to save money, but I really like the idea of having advising, a proper committee letter, and linkages. The committee letter in particular is intriguing as I don't see my undergrad letters being very strong. On the other hand most SMPs require an MCAT and the difficulty seems very high risk for my current GPA, so I've been leaning towards a formal enhancer post-bacc program, but they don't seem to offer as much advising as an SMP (and also don't seem to be as worth it based on testimonials I've seen here). While in a post-bacc, I could get more volunteering and shadowing in.

If I do enter a post-bacc for 2020-2021 I'd be looking at two gap years since I'd need to finish all of the courses before applying to med school for maximum enhancement. I'm thinking I could spend the second gap or glide year doing a paid clinical job and accumulating more volunteer hours.

Am I looking at this the right way or am I completely off? Thank you very much for reading, and I really appreciate any help and advice! :)

Members don't see this ad.