Gap Year Advice-SMP or DIY Postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

charmedones

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I am in need of some sound advice on this matter. I was recently accepted into my top choice for my Special Masters Program. It recently dawned on me about the cost of living if I were to move to where the program is. I would be taking out a hefty loan of about 80k which would put me in a heap of student loans. I want to make the right decision and I am willing to do whatever it takes at this point. But the interest that I will accrue with the loans I have already taken out for my undergrad, unsettles me. I have the other option to take “DIY Postbacc” at a local college around me. But I am unsure if that will raise up my gpa for graduate courses to show I can handle the course load. I have not taken the MCAT so being able to do the DIY will give me the flexibility I need but without any advising or linkage. Not sure what my chances are.

My stats: 3.39(cGPA), 3.22 (sGPA)

Thank you guys in advance!
 
Last edited:
What are your goals (MD vs DO)? Does the SMP have a linkage (guaranteed interview/conditional acceptance) to a med school?
 
What are your goals (MD vs DO)? Does the SMP have a linkage (guaranteed interview/conditional acceptance) to a med school?
The students who do the program don’t get any linkage but they if they get an interview they are put in a separate pool or something along those lines.

I am not picky about MD or DO. I would be happy to be accepted in either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not a fan of SMPs without linkages--they're risky both financially and academically. Your GPAs aren't so bad that they'll bar you from DO schools. Instead, start a DIY post bac and demonstrate academic excellence for a couple of full-time semesters. Study for the MCAT and take it when you're ready. You'll need a +505 for DO. With your stats, I would much rather wait a year and improve my app than hastily enrolling in an SMP with no guarantees to anything.

Read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

See my signature for a list of DO schools with their stats.
 
I'm not a fan of SMPs without linkages--they're risky both financially and academically. Your GPAs aren't so bad that they'll bar you from DO schools. Instead, start a DIY post bac and demonstrate academic excellence for a couple of full-time semesters. Study for the MCAT and take it when you're ready. You'll need a +505 for DO. With your stats, I would much rather wait a year and improve my app than hastily enrolling in an SMP with no guarantees to anything.

Read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

See my signature for a list of DO schools with their stats.
Wow thank you and I felt that would be the best of option being that tuition is almost 60k (not including cost of living). I’ll be taking 2 years off school. So would you recommend I take 4 semesters of classes? I was going to take 2 classes per semester but I’m hearing from others to do three. I just don’t want to over burden myself.
 
Wow thank you and I felt that would be the best of option being that tuition is almost 60k (not including cost of living). I’ll be taking 2 years off school. So would you recommend I take 4 semesters of classes? I was going to take 2 classes per semester but I’m hearing from others to do three. I just don’t want to over burden myself.

No problem.

I would recommend full-time because you need to show adcoms you're able to handle the rigors of a med school course-load. If part-time is your only option, then take enough semesters to reach at least 30 credits.