Gap Year before Dental School, What should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentgal111

Reaction score
I'm a senior graduating in May and I will be taking a gap year after that as I am applying to dental schools this upcoming cycle. Any suggestions on what to do during the year?

Have not done research yet and was planning on doing summer research and also plan on keeping up with volunteering/shadowing during the year. I'm also considering doing a dental mission trip. But as more of a job, what is recommended? I am currently a private tutor and would like to continue that but I was also considering things like:
-Kumon or Mathnasium
-Scribe
-Some sort of dental related job, even if it means working front desk (but I do need something part-time ideally)

That's all I can think of.

Also I graduate with a french minor and really wanted to do a summer study abroad and was thinking I would do it the summer before I'd go into dental school. Any thoughts? I was originally going to do it this summer however I know sometimes interviews can be extended quite early in the cycle and I would hate to risk pushing a potential interview back bc I'm out the country and also the corona virus right now haha

Members don't see this ad.

You should have fun. If you can afford it then travel.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d suggest finding a research or dental-related job, they’d both be good talking points during interviews and on your app. I also wouldn’t worry about summer interviews, the vast majority of schools didn’t even start sending invites until like late July/August, some even September, this cycle. Plus, they generally give you different dates to choose from so you’d be able to pick something that doesn’t interfere with your trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical scribe is good even though it’s technically not “dental related“ you still work in a medical setting and get paid a pretty good sum. Most times you only have to work 2 days a week!

As long as your technical stats are strong and your pockets are deep, you should definitely take up that summer abroad opportunity. Enriching cultural experiences coupled with your language minor is an extremely powerful asset for your application. Not to mention how much you would learn and enjoy yourself!

A lot of spring break study abroad programs have already been suspended near me due to the virus, so hopefully that opportunity will still be available to you come the summer.