Gap year before dental school? (what to do?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Netanel791

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see if anyone has advice that can help me out.

I reapplied to dental school this cycle (3rd time reapplying) and I'm debating on whether I should spend this year working in the field as a dental assistant while I wait to hear back or should I just work in any kind of job that pays well and try and find a back up job?

I have a masters, and experience working as a dental lab tech for a dental school (however I took the DAT 4x and have an 18 as my highest score).

Would working in a dental-related job for this year make the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied during my gap year. I did full time research which paid decently well and bolstered my resume for getting an industry job in case I didn't get into my state school. As long as you have a decent amount of dental experience, I'd say you should get a real world well paying job. If you don't get in, you'll at least have quality work experience and a decent amount in savings. It sounds like your DAT is holding you back and not your dental experience since your DAT is only an 18 anyways.

I applied during my gap year. I did full time research which paid decently well and bolstered my resume for getting an industry job in case I didn't get into my state school. As long as you have a decent amount of dental experience, I'd say you should get a real world well paying job. If you don't get in, you'll at least have quality work experience and a decent amount in savings. It sounds like your DAT is holding you back and not your dental experience since your DAT is only an 18 anyways.
Yeah more or less my dat is an issue
I have some interviews for dental assistant positions
But I’m trying to find a job in the meantime that will be a good back up

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you end up getting in? Did you enjoy your gap year?

Where did you end up getting in? Did you enjoy your gap year?
I got into and attend my state school. I interviewed at two of the ivies but withdrew my app because they were too expensive. I was state school or bust pretty much.
I enjoyed my gap year. I had zero stress at my job so it was a nice break. Now that I'm in dental school, I miss not having to study every night lol.

I got into and attend my state school. I interviewed at two of the ivies but withdrew my app because they were too expensive. I was state school or bust pretty much.
I enjoyed my gap year. I had zero stress at my job so it was a nice break. Now that I'm in dental school, I miss not having to study every night lol.
Yeah I bet
It must’ve been nice to not have to study worry about anything. I have a bunch of friends in dental school and as much as they love it they says it’s really rough

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently in my gap year working in industry (also applied this cycle). I agree with what was said above, try to save some money by getting a decent paying job. Not sure what the maximum number of DAT retakes is but if you can take it again that might be worth it. Good luck!

I'm currently in my gap year working in industry (also applied this cycle). I agree with what was said above, try to save some money by getting a decent paying job. Not sure what the maximum number of DAT retakes is but if you can take it again that might be worth it. Good luck!

The maximum amount of times you can take it is 3. You can take it a 4th time if you send in an appeal to ADEA. Taking it so many times will show on your application and most dental schools don’t recommend taking it that many times. Some schools even have on their website that you should reconsider dentistry if you took it that many times.

Reactions: 1 user
The maximum amount of times you can take it is 3. You can take it a 4th time if you send in an appeal to ADEA. Taking it so many times will show on your application and most dental schools don’t recommend taking it that many times. Some schools even have on their website that you should reconsider dentistry if you took it that many times.
I already took the DAT 4 times. So now I'm at the point where I dont know what else I can do.
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

I also was in a bridge program at a dental school this past year and didn't move on only because I missed the B in my last class by .5% due to personal and medical reasons. Otherwise I did well and proved that can do well in a dental curriculum. Which is why I reapplied this cycle.

Last edited: