Gap year between undergrad and pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blipc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior undergrad who applied to a few pharmacy schools this year. I got into a couple of private schools but not my state school so I'm seriously considering taking a year off and reapplying. I was just wondering how many people here took a year off between undergrad and pharmacy school and what you did during that time. Any suggestions on what to do for the year off besides work as a pharmacy technician? I've considered applying to be a research technician at a major research university (my major is Biology) but I don't really know how difficult it is to get those jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a senior undergrad who applied to a few pharmacy schools this year. I got into a couple of private schools but not my state school so I'm seriously considering taking a year off and reapplying. I was just wondering how many people here took a year off between undergrad and pharmacy school and what you did during that time. Any suggestions on what to do for the year off besides work as a pharmacy technician? I've considered applying to be a research technician at a major research university (my major is Biology) but I don't really know how difficult it is to get those jobs.

i graduated in 2006 in biology and just got into pharmacy school. i worked as a tech since then, but i also did a fair amount of traveling that i wasn't able to do while i was in school. personally, i wanted some time off of school. i kind of burned myself out taking 21 hours a few semesters in a row towards the end of my undergrad. research would definitely look good for apps. if you don't have any pharmacy tech experience, that would probably look even better than research assuming you had to pick one or the other. pharmacy experience is almost a necessity during the admissions process. if you have vacations or other leisure activities you have put off due to school, you might want to look into doing them now as well. you probably won't have much free time to enjoy once you start pharmacy school.

I am currently in my year off (graduated 09), and I love it! I am doing a full time research job and have taken time off to travel. There are many other people like me, going to grad school/med school/other, that are taking a year or two off, and they all love it. I have yet to talk to someone who regrets it. Sometimes, you really need some time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also didn't get into schools in my state, but I did other states. I'm taking a year off to improve my application. I was told that retaking pre-req classes that I received Cs in is a good start in addition to taking more difficult biology/chemistry classes. I have been working as a technician for a year now. Does anyone have advice as to what I should do as far as where to take the classes, and if I should go for a Post-Bac?

I'm also an '09 grad who took some time off. I've been working as a tech and taking some pre-req classes that I didn't have to take for my degree. Personally, I'm glad I took the time off. The break is nice and my application can use the boost of tech experience to help offset my bad GPA.

Take into consideration that the reason you weren't accepted to your state school could have been due to a lack of pharmacy experience. Though research isn't a bad route, the technician experience would look a lot better when you try to reapply.

I took 2 years off after getting my B.S. in Chemistry, and have worked as a development chemist during the time. I'll be starting school in the fall.

Personally, I don't know how people can go straight into grad school after 4 years of undergrad. I feel like I matured a lot during these two years, and was really able to make better decisions for what I wanted to do with my life. Even if I could start over again, and go into an 0 to 6 program or whatever, I would not have done it. Not to mention I've been living with my parents and saving all the money I've been making (my only real expense was buying a new car). I was burned out after college, but now I feel really really motivated to do well in school.

There is no rush to get "finished" with life and work... society puts an emphasis that we must finish school by age-X and get married/have children by age-Y.

Find what would make you happy; would you rather go back to school immediately? Do some study-abroad program? Travel/back-pack?

I finished my Masters, PhD, and worked between my undergrad years and pharm. school. Absolutely 0 regrets because I'll be able to do research AND clinical work.

I too can attest that taking time off is good...after finishing undergrad in 06 I only worked, worked out and partied. My undergrad GPA is nothing to be proud of so I am going to try and offset some of those bad grades with A's in my master's program. If I dont get it in to any schools in FL or GA this year I will apply next year. Time off is definitely needed for the mind!