This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeanJeff

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am taking two gap years. Here are my stats:
GPA: 3:95 from Hopkins
MCAT: 506 (I am struggling with CARS and the mental fatigue it causes. Moved to the US 5 years ago. Will retake next year in May)
4 years of basic research

I graduated in June and have an offer from an NIH basic lab to do a postbac starting from Sept 30. However, after one month of applying to basic labs, I now find myself more interested in a clinical job such as EMT (I have EMT-B) or clinical research, but those might take until November to get.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I commit to the NIH basic research lab and find a clinical position next year? Or risk waiting for a a clinical offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am taking two gap years. Here are my stats:
GPA: 3:95 from Hopkins
MCAT: 506 (I am struggling with CARS and the mental fatigue it causes. Moved to the US 5 years ago. Will retake next year in May)
4 years of basic research

I graduated in June and have an offer from an NIH basic lab to do a postbac starting from Sept 30. However, after one month of applying to basic labs, I now find myself more interested in a clinical job such as EMT (I have EMT-B) or clinical research, but those might take until November to get.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I commit to the NIH basic research lab and find a clinical position next year? Or risk waiting for a a clinical offer?
You have more than enough research already. What clinical experience have you accumulated?

Reactions: 1 user
You have more than enough research already. What clinical experience have you accumulated?
I did one and a half year in a post-op unit. One summerin the ER. 1.5 year of meals on wheels volunteering. And also got an EMT licence but never used it for work or volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t need gap years, unless you feel you’re not ready for med school yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-I did one and a half year in a post-op unit.
-One summer in the ER.

-1.5 year of meals on wheels volunteering.

-And also got an EMT licence but never used it for work or volunteering.
Do you have 150-200 hours total hospital volunteering? If so, you're in good shape there. How many physician shadowing hours do you have and with what specialties?

Your non-clinical community service looks good.

Really, you could go for whatever job you like (without it being directly related to your med school application), like one that pays well and has benefits, and continue to keep your clinical & non-clinical experience fresh with additional volunteering.

In my opinion: Take the NIH postbac job and find clinical experience to do outside of work. I wouldn't turn down a sure offer for maybe finding a clinical job - a bird in the hand, etc. My opinion might be different if it wasn't an NIH spot, but I personally think working at the NIH is a unique opportunity that can open a lot of doors (including into clinical opportunities).

Should I start the NIH job and apply to other places in hopes of transferring out at the same time? I'm afraid I might not like the basic lab.