MD Gap Year Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZamboniBologna

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm looking to take a gap year to really solidify my application, and I would like some advice on how to further improve after graduation. Thus far, my plan includes adding research and volunteering hours, which I feel are my weakest components.

I'm an ORM female from Oregon attending a Texas university.

cGPA: Will probably end up at around a 3.70 (sitting a 3.67 right now)
sGPA: Will probably end up at around a 3.56 (Just lots of B+'s and B's. No B-'s, C's, or lower!)
Overall trend is upwards with a slight slump in sophomore year:
  • Freshman GPA Avg: 3.735
  • Sophomore GPA Avg: 3.39
  • Junior GPA Avg: 3.74
  • Estimated Senior GPA Avg: 3.83
MCAT: 508 (126/126/127/129)
ECs:
  • Strong (Hopefully!) Committee Letter
  • Shadowing: 40 hours with a general surgeon. Perhaps I could get shadowing with a primary care physician as well?
  • Volunteering*: 133 cumulative (54 clinical, 79 nonclinical). Would it be in my best interests to increase both clinical and nonclinical volunteering, or just one? I'm planning on adding another 30-50 hours by the time of my graduation.
  • Employment:
    • Medical Scribe: 1665 hours total. I did this over the summers between my school years.
    • Lab Assistant for Class: About 90 hours.
    • Website Administrator: Since freshman year; hours are hard to calculate
  • Research*: 0 hours due to working during the summers. I'm planning on doing research during my gap year - hopefully in Texas so that I can gain Texas residency and have a better chance at gaining admittance.
  • Misc. Activities:
    • Competitive/Recreational Ice Skating since the age of 3 for about 22,000 hours. I would probably write this one as a significant activity since it helped me become a driven and motivated individual.
    • Recreational Tennis: About 10 hours a month when I'm able (about 100 hours total).
    • Online Team Gaming: 2000 hours. I've learned a lot about teamwork and problem solving by leading an organization and "raid" group.
    • On Campus Organizations: Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED - honor society), Alpha Delta Pi (sorority), Order of Omega (honor society), Alpha Lambda Delta (honor society)
I'm looking at applying to MDs only. I've done research upon both DO and MD and I feel that MD would be a better degree option for what I'd like to do specialty wise. I understand that this might be an uphill battle in some instances, but I'm willing to give it a go. My list would probably consist of the following based off of my GPA and MCAT:
  • George Washington
  • Georgetown (Family ties/alumni)
  • Jefferson
  • Drexel
  • Creighton
  • Oregon Health and Science University (Family ties/alumni)
  • Texas A&M (Family ties)
  • UT Southwestern
  • UT Galveston
  • McGovern
  • UT San Antonio
  • UT Austin
  • Texas Tech Lubboch
  • Texas Tech El Paso
  • Albany
  • Geisinger
  • Loyola
  • NYMC
  • Penn State
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • St. Louis University
  • Wake Forest
  • Tulane
I would appreciate any comments, feedback, and recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.