Gap year help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spikebee

Reaction score
I am a senior trying to decide how to spend my gap year. I have an offer from City Year with Americorps but don't know if clinical experience or clinical research would be better for my application and don't know whether I can survive on the City Year stipend. Would appreciate any advice on what people think I should do with this year to improve my application and hopefully get into the best med school I can.
Here's my resume:
-3.91 gpa from a top public school
-524 mcat
-neuroscience and psychology major
-4 years of weekly hospital volunteering - become the program director for this after 2 years
-did research in a cognition lab for one year
-switched to a neuroscience lab and will have been there for 2.5 years by the time I graduate, doing 10-12 hours per week - writing a thesis and should have some middle author publications by graduation
-started weekly tutoring in a local high school this year
-worked at a camp as an inclusion coach for children with disabilities one summer
-supervisor at a gym on campus for about 12 hours a week
-philanthropy coordinator for my sorority
-about 70 shadowing hours across a variety of specialties

Please let me know what you think will make me stand out as an applicant or whether I need to scribe or do clinical research to gain more experience! It would also be great if I could make some money to pay off undergrad loans. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the exact (or approximate) hours of both your clinical and non-clinical volunteering? You seem to have a lot of research, so more research won't really help you much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Those are great numbers. It never hurts to get more hours with those that are underserved. Other than that, I think you are very competitive. As far as the gap year, just do whatever interests you the most. Don't think of it as something that will make you "stand out."

Agreed with ihoop. You're already competitive for medical school, so it's a great idea to take a year and do something that will be personally fulfilling outside of medicine before medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors