Gap Year: Master's, post bacc, research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grod1018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in my third year right now studying Biomedical sciences in Puerto Rico. I have an overall GPA of 3.7. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I was considering taking it in August or September. Although I'm considering waiting and taking it some other time during the year since I'm taking some summer classes.

I'm not really a stellar applicant, I have close to no volunteer and research experience. I've been considering taking a gap year to work on my application and perhaps retake the MCAT if I need to. So my biggest doubt is what I'm going to do once I graduate. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. I've been considering applying for a post bacc or a one year Master's program. I checked and they're very expensive. I've also considered research opportunities or getting myself a job. I just honestly want something productive do for a whole year, while also strengthening my medical school application in the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is fine, so I don't think a post-bac or Master's program would be of much benefit. I would consider doing something service-oriented, like AmeriCorps, or research (while also doing a lot of volunteering).

Your GPA is fine, so I don't think a post-bac or Master's program would be of much benefit. I would consider doing something service-oriented, like AmeriCorps, or research (while also doing a lot of volunteering).

That does sound like a better option than investing money. Med school is expensive as it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
you need clinical volunteeering and community service. your GPA does not seem to indicate post bacc or masters. You may be better served with an Americorps or some service type employment. Sadly with the issues in govt budget in PR, there may be much need for people in such service

There's a local veteran's hospital that I've been looking into. I feel like it would be a good experience. And yes I have looked into Americorps and Peace corps. Peacecorps would be great if it wasn't a 2 year commitment.

Peace Corps or Military Service may be the most impactful non-academic related factor to an application. I wouldnt do it solely for that reason, but two years in Peace Corps may indeed open up more med schools to you

Yeah that's completely true. It's more than adding something to my application, it's a commitment. Thanks for the reply.