Quantcast

Gap year question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legendary13

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on having a gap year during which no classes are taken? Does it look bad? If it does look bad, then what are some things I should do?

-I will have to take that gap year because I want to try to graduate in 4 years, with a prerequisite dental course being taken during the last semester of my 4th year.

-If I wanted to apply after this year (end of my third year), do I need to have all of the pre-reqs completed by the end of this year before I apply? Or can those pre-req courses be completed during my 4th year, after I apply to dental schools?

Thank you guys in advance!

CrazyToothLady

Reaction score
Have you done any research?

You do not need to complete all your pre-reqs in 3 years. The application has a place for you to enter your 'planned courses' for the following year.

It doesn't necessarily look bad if you take a year off between undergrad and dental school.. as long as you are being productive.. e.g. working in the dental field/taking more classes.

LogOff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in three years and I'm in my gap year right now. I've been working as a junior high science teacher/substitute. My last interviewer loved that I was a teacher, so if you're going to take a break think about something in education (only if you also enjoy it though).