Gap year questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afro5692

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am pursuing dental school as a nontraditional student. I graduated in 2012 with a BS in education, and will be returning to a 4-year to complete prerequisites. Because I have none as of yet, I won't be able to apply until the cycle after the post bacc year of prereqs. That being said, what should I do with my gap year? As an adult, I need to continue to have an income, but what are some options for me? On the flip side, should I take a couple of prereqs before post bacc year and apply the summer that I begin post bacc, in hopes of eliminating a gap year altogether?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in classes now? If not, some schools don't offer Bio 1 or Chem 1 in the Spring, so you may have to wait until Summer 2014 to start the trek. If you're going to be working full time, or even part time, this schedule may not work for you, but I'd attack it like this if you want to go to dental school as soon as possible:

Summer 2014 -
Chem I w/ lab
Chem II w/ lab
Shadow/Volunteer

Fall 2014 -
Physicis I w/ lab
Orgo I w/ lab
Bio I w/ lab

Spring 2015 -
Physicis II w/ lab
Orgo II w/ lab
Bio II w/ lab

Apply June 1, 2015

Summer 2015 -
Study for and take DAT
Shadow/Volunteer

Fall 2015 - I'd keep this fall light, as interviewing with a heavy courseload can be tough
Anatomy & Phys
Biochem

If you'll be working full time, I'd probably stretch the above schedule out a bit.

I definitely like what free 99 said. I too am a non traditional applicant. I already have a master's degree but no science prerequisites. I will be applying June 2014. I believe you will always have to have a gap year. When you go for you apply most of your prerequisites should be complete. This is because the schools will need to see your science gpa, if you don't have one then you need to build it up by taking classes. I work full-time, its really tough, but doable. Here is the schedule I'm currently on. Keep in mind the school I attend also has a one month winter session too!! Good Luck. During your gap year you can take some different upper divisional classes. I'll probably do microbiology, anatomy and physiology, it all depends on the schools you want to get into.

Winter 2013 (5 weeks)
Chem 1 w/lab
Pre-calc

Spring 2013
Chem 2 w/lab

Summer 2013
Orgo 1 w/lab
Orgo 2 w/lab

Fall 2013
Bio 1 w/lab
Physic 1 w/lab

Winter 2014 (5weeks)
Calculus
Physics 2 w/lab

Spring 2014
Bio 2 w/lab
Biochemistry

Hi all! I am pursuing dental school as a nontraditional student. I graduated in 2012 with a BS in education, and will be returning to a 4-year to complete prerequisites. Because I have none as of yet, I won't be able to apply until the cycle after the post bacc year of prereqs. That being said, what should I do with my gap year? As an adult, I need to continue to have an income, but what are some options for me? On the flip side, should I take a couple of prereqs before post bacc year and apply the summer that I begin post bacc, in hopes of eliminating a gap year altogether?

You need to establish a solid BCP and science GPA with a good amount of units, so it looks like you can't avoid a gap year. Try to have most of your prereqs done by the time you apply, and take recommended courses during the gap year. Keep in mind you'll also need time to study for the DAT while you take your prereqs, and it's good to have many of those classes done before you take the test. One mistake I made was to get into some new EC's during my gap year, JUST AFTER I applied, which is still personally worth it for me to do, but I do wish I had those things on my app :/ Look into EC's during your post bacc year b/c you still need to have those to be MOST competitive.