Gap Year, SMP, or apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breadsticks

Eat moar food
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I take it your numbers are AACOMAS numbers? if so, do NOT re-take or SMP, go directly to applying starting June 14 (I think it's too late in the cycle now).

If you're keen on MD, then SMP will be the way to go.

I take it your numbers are AACOMAS numbers? if so, do NOT re-take or SMP, go directly to applying starting June 14 (I think it's too late in the cycle now).

If you're keen on MD, then SMP will be the way to go.

Hi Goro!! Sorry those numbers were calculated from my university's gpa calculator, if I did it right my AACOMAS sGPA is currently a 3.35 and if I retake one class it will go up to a 3.45. I was originally planning on applying in early June 2014, so that is reassuring to hear! I am trying to avoid the SMP if possible, it would be quite expensive and I am not too worried about going MD. So it would be better to move on than to retake a class? Also, do you perhaps have any pointers on rounding out my EC's? And last question, sorry...what do you think my chances are at schools such as PCOM, DMU-COM, or NSU-COM? Thank you lots for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are fine for MD with the exception of your sGPA.

Try to get As in science courses this spring and you should be able to get a couple acceptances next cycle.

Other than that try to get more leadership and non clinical community service.

Thank you alpinism! I'm definitely going to work on non-clinical volunteering, and have been appointed as a TA next semester, so hopefully that will help with leadership

I don;t see a need to do any retaking with these numbers.

So it would be better to move on than to retake a class?

You might look evenmore impressive with something else non-clinical. I do like the animal shelter volunteering, having four rescue cats myself (as per my avatar). Check with your local houses of worship for volunteering possibilities.

Also, do you perhaps have any pointers on rounding out my EC's?

Chances look great (but are you referring to MSU-or Nova SE? If the former, being a MI resident will help a lot.)

! I hope you'll apply to my school, somewhere west of St Louis.

And last question, sorry...what do you think my chances are at schools such as PCOM, DMU-COM, or NSU-COM?

There are quite a few houses of worship in my area, I never would have thought of checking them out - thanks! And I was referring to Nova SE, I am unfortunately not a resident of MI.
Sorry to keep bumping this thread...I've put together a tentative school list and was hoping for a little feedback from everyone:

(DO)
ATSU-KCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCUMB
LECOM
NSU-COM
PCOM
Western U-Pomona
UNECOM
[Goro - hopefully your school is on there :thumbup:]

(MD)
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
The Commonwealth Medical College

I thought I would include a few MD schools on there, mainly to have more options to stay in the PA/NY area. I do enjoy being close to home, although moving out of the northeast is not something I am totally opposed to. If I should drop/add schools, do let me know!! :)

Last edited:
Sorry again to bump this old thread, but I thought it would be better than making a new one...I was just looking for a bit of advice on my updated school list:
Updated GPA's:
cGPA: ~3.55
sGPA: ~3.4

MD:

NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Commonwealth Medical College
Jefferson
Quinnipiac University Frank H. Netter School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Western Michigan University
Oakland University
Virginia Tech
Temple
Tulane
Tufts
WVU
Hofstra
Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest
Rush
USC
KUMC
Mercer
Loyola
Marshall
Maryland
Rutgers

DO:

Rowan SOM
DMU-COM
KCUMB
LECOM
Nova Southeastern
PCOM
Western U-Pomona

(I changed it a lot over the year haha)

My advisor said I should expand my MD school list and trim the DO school list, so this is what I ended up with. Are there any reaches on my MD school list that I need to get rid of? Anything I should add? I figured I would try to apply to a wide spread of schools since my stats are kind of borderline. Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm a PA resident!
Have you looked into these schools in the MSAR?
Some of them are great choices, others not so much.
For example, Rutgers interviewed 40/2088 OOS and matriculated none. That looks very low yield to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked into these schools in the MSAR?
Some of them are great choices, others not so much.
For example, Rutgers interviewed 40/2088 OOS and matriculated none. That looks very low yield to me.

Last edited: