Gap Year to Maximize Competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOther

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fresh MS3 here interested in academic/county EM (eg. USC-LAC would be the dream).

I'm considering taking a gap year between MS3 and MS4 to maximize my competitiveness for EM -- maybe do some research along with an online MPH or Masters in MedEd. I have yet to get my Step 1 score back, but assuming it's competitive enough (240+), I'm curious what opinions/thoughts on this is. I'd love to hear from residents, attendings, PDs, APDs, etc.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Fresh MS3 here interested in academic/county EM (eg. USC-LAC would be the dream).

I'm considering taking a gap year between MS3 and MS4 to maximize my competitiveness for EM -- maybe do some research along with an online MPH or Masters in MedEd. I have yet to get my Step 1 score back, but assuming it's competitive enough (240+), I'm curious what opinions/thoughts on this is. I'd love to hear from residents, attendings, PDs, APDs, etc.

Thanks for your time!

Maybe others with more experience can weigh in on this more but as someone who just went through the whole process, I'd say that having an MPH/doing research definitely helps, but it's also definitely not going to be what gets you interviews at those places. A high step 1 is pretty important (I'd even say necessary), but almost more important would be your letters and doing an away or two in the region you want to be in, and nailing those rotations. That's what will get you interviews there, and from there it's just how well you fit on interview day that gets you a spot. So overall I don't think there's a definitive answer on whether it's a good idea or not, but it's definitely not the most important thing.

That said, anecdotally, I know two people this year from aways/the trail who did just that (took a year off for an MPH at a very well known academic institution), and they both ended up at pretty big name county programs. Again, they took a year off to do the MPH in-person at a very big academic spot. And more importantly, I can tell you that both of them did the MPH not as a resume builder, but because they had a previous interest in a particular aspect of EM that was enhanced by that MPH (one was super involved in global health, and the other super involved in health policy). In my mind that was the reason their MPH degrees helped - not because they just had them, but because they had them for a reason and for something they were passionate about and would be bringing to their residency.

Edited typo

I have nothing to do with academic medicine, but I would see a "year off" regardless of what you do, as more of a red flag than a bonus. Just get good step scores. Do well on away rotations and get good audition rotation recs and save yourself 1 year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had good research and know other people who had a lot..was probably the least mentioned thing in interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

As someone who did a graduate degree in policy at a very big academic place, I reiterate the second reply. Don't do a graduate degree for the sake of improving your chances at big-name places. Do it for your passion. For example, I thought I was going to go into a complete different specialty and without this year, I would have made a seriously expensive mistake. I needed this extra year to fine tune my passions, figure-out my research niche, add a degree that tells my story, etc. PM me for more details.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate all of the responses so far.

To clarify, I have an interest in all of these areas so none of them would be simply for the sake of buffing my resume -- I just don't have a particularly strong interest yet. Eg. I've done work with the homeless and gone abroad on missions trips, worked in research for a few years before starting med school, and got involved with tutoring fellow med students these last 2 years. I'd ideally like to do a bit of each throughout my career, but my concern for now is if any of these pursuits warrant taking a gap year. I understand there's unlikely a clear-cut answer so I'm grateful for everyone sharing their various experiences.

In my opinion, EM isn't one of the specialties where a gap year for research/MPH/whatever adds a whole lot. The absolute number one factor is your SLOEs, followed by Step scores and overall academic success. Not to say that it won't add to your application. If it's something that you are really interested in and you can convey that passion to the interviewers then it will give you something more unique, but don't do it simply because you think it will make you more competitive.

That being said, USC/LAC did put a lot of emphasis on serving the underserved during interview day, so if you have activities that show a commitment to the underserved then that would be looked upon favorably.

Assuming your step 1 is solid, get aways at big name county places (perhaps even USC/LAC or Harbor UCLA) and kick ass to get great SLOEs. Also take Step 2 earlier on and you should be golden.

I appreciate all of the responses so far.

To clarify, I have an interest in all of these areas so none of them would be simply for the sake of buffing my resume -- I just don't have a particularly strong interest yet. Eg. I've done work with the homeless and gone abroad on missions trips, worked in research for a few years before starting med school, and got involved with tutoring fellow med students these last 2 years. I'd ideally like to do a bit of each throughout my career, but my concern for now is if any of these pursuits warrant taking a gap year. I understand there's unlikely a clear-cut answer so I'm grateful for everyone sharing their various experiences.

Actually, I think that there is a clear cut answer: it won't help. As others have pointed out, what is really important is pursuing the things that are important to you and finding a place that values those same things. At LAC+USC, they do have a strong focus on education and at-risk populations. You'll be more attractive to them if you can demonstrate your commitment to these issues in a sincere way but I don't think that that sincerity requires a gap year as "proof." Moreover, I think it will limit you at enough other places that the opportunity costs are not worth any possible benefit at any single program.

Not recommended unless you're actually super interested in getting an mph/research/whatever.

My experience working with EM residents who have a phd/mph is that they are more likely to be slow, elicit patient complaints, and have a "can't see the forest for the trees" mentality when it comes to running an emergency department.

If it's something you really like, it's probably not going to be a detriment to your application as long as you're a normal person. Unlikely to be a significant positive however, and essentially burns a year of your life.

As someone who did a graduate degree in policy at a very big academic place, I reiterate the second reply. Don't do a graduate degree for the sake of improving your chances at big-name places. Do it for your passion. For example, I thought I was going to go into a complete different specialty and without this year, I would have made a seriously expensive mistake. I needed this extra year to fine tune my passions, figure-out my research niche, add a degree that tells my story, etc. PM me for more details.

This response is my spirit animal.
Also doing a year out for an additional degree - business side of medicine :) love.