HappyPerson

Nov 18, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I need advice. I have a 3.45 cGPA and a 3.12 sGPA. I have really good EC's ranging from scribing, medical assistant to volunteering at free clinics and at religious institutes. The only thing I didn't take is the MCAT. I feel like in order to have any chance this cycle I have to take the MCAT by June 20 at the latest so that I get my score back July 7th, and apply July 8-10. The thing is I am not that confident in scoring above a 510 with the amount of time I have left to prepare for the exam. Currently on my practice exams I am averaging between a 500-505. Also my personal statement still isn't 100%. I don't mind applying to DO schools, but would I be considered competitive for DO schools?

What should I do? Should I take a gap year and make sure I get 510+ on the MCAT. I finished my bachelors in under 3 years so I'm still early compared to my classmates, but If I do take a gap year, what should I do with it to really increase my shot at an MD in Michigan. I really want to stay instate but if that's not possible I can travel for medical schools. I know with my GPA I can't be picky, Id be lucky to even get a spot at an MD school, but a man can still hope.

Rachapkis

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
The key to medical admissions is excellence, not speed. Given that your GPA is on the low side, I would do everything that I could to make sure other aspects of your application were excellent before applying, potentially including postbac grade repair. Thus, based on the limited information you have provided, I would counsel in favor of a gap year.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.