Feb 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hey all,

I'm wondering if admissions committee look down upon applicants taking a year or however long needed between undergrad to professional schooling? Those who are in programs already, I'm wondering if you've found classmates who have done this path? Or generally is the class made up of students directly from undergrad into optometry programs? Thanks.

Jun 5, 2011
Status
Optometry Student
I think it depends on what you do during your gap year. I took 2 years off to finish my prerequisites (was not a science major) as well as getting more experience to make sure that I am making the right choice. I had no problem getting acceptances.

Jan 26, 2013
Status
Optometry Student
I took a gap year and I didn't really do anything except work and study for the OAT. I didn't even have a good job. I worked at a carnival.

Anyway, I got into all the schools I interviewed at so I really don't think it's a problem as long as you tell them that you did something to keep yourself occupied.

Apr 19, 2012
Status
Pre-Optometry
I took a year off too and was still accepted. It wasn't really an issue for me either. I just spent my year off volunteering and studying for the OAT.

Sep 30, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
I took a gap year and I didn't really do anything except work and study for the OAT. I didn't even have a good job. I worked at a carnival.

Anyway, I got into all the schools I interviewed at so I really don't think it's a problem as long as you tell them that you did something to keep yourself occupied.
What! That's not possible, are you me? I took a year off after undergrad before applying to Optometry school, and did nothing but study for the OAT and worked a short period of time, at a carnival as a ride operator. That's a crazy coincidence.

Loptometriste

5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2012
Status
Optometrist
I took three years off. I got married and worked as a certified ophthalmic assistant and on a dairy farm. Went to local uni and retook two courses for a higher grade. Now I'm ready to hit the books harder than if I would have gone straight through with out a break. I would have burnt out. Totally refreshed now. :)

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
Nah, you're fine. I took 4.6 years to graduate AND I took a year off. I worked as an optician/optometric assistant in 2 places, but they didn't even really ask me about any of that. They tended to ask more about my poor-ass grades. :p Either way, as long as you're not doing something felonious, I don't think it will hurt you. I'm a 3rd year, born in 1986, most of my classmates are born in 1988 and came right out of undegrad. But you almost forget the age difference because you're all friends and peers. You'll be fine!

OP
P
Feb 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Optometry
Thank you all! I didn't want to seem "out of place" in the group for taking time off, I just feel burned out at the moment and am not ready to throw myself into an intense professional program...