GAPCOM Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samdwi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear incoming GA-PCOMers. Does anyone know how the school's accreditation will pan out? I know that the AOA has said go-ahead on begining classes, but what happens after that?

I'll call GAPCOM on Monday, but till then, has anyone else asked this question? As we would be the first class, our careers depend on it to some extent.

Members don't see this ad.

samdwi said:
Dear incoming GA-PCOMers. Does anyone know how the school's accreditation will pan out? I know that the AOA has said go-ahead on begining classes, but what happens after that?

I'll call GAPCOM on Monday, but till then, has anyone else asked this question? As we would be the first class, our careers depend on it to some extent.

I think that DO schools only attain full accreditation after the first class graduates. But I could be misinformed.

cdreed said:
I think that DO schools only attain full accreditation after the first class graduates.

I too believe this to be true, not just DO schools but any school really. I wouldn't worry about it as an issue. We WILL get the accreditation. We've met all the requirements up to this point, why wouldn't we continue to meet (and exceed) the reqs for full accreditation? I'm sure it is really only a formality at this point :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
cdreed said:
I think that DO schools only attain full accreditation after the first class graduates. But I could be misinformed.

This is true. In order to have full accreditation, the school needs to graduate students.

Drugtech said:
I too believe this to be true, not just DO schools but any school really. I wouldn't worry about it as an issue. We WILL get the accreditation. We've met all the requirements up to this point, why wouldn't we continue to meet (and exceed) the reqs for full accreditation? I'm sure it is really only a formality at this point :thumbup:

I have little doubt that we will get the required accreditation. But what happens if for some reason we do not? What is the process thereafter? Does our medical degree mean anything then? I believe FSU med school (MD) had some problems when they were starting out, so...

I now have to choose between GAPCOM and NSU, and I am leaning towards GAPCOM strongly, even though it is more expensive and is brand-spankin' new, but I have to weigh each school for its merits and shortcomings.

samdwi said:
I have little doubt that we will get the required accreditation. But what happens if for some reason we do not? What is the process thereafter? Does our medical degree mean anything then? I believe FSU med school (MD) had some problems when they were starting out, so...

I now have to choose between GAPCOM and NSU, and I am leaning towards GAPCOM strongly, even though it is more expensive and is brand-spankin' new, but I have to weigh each school for its merits and shortcomings.

I completely understand where you're coming from. There is, IMO, minimal risk involved in joining a school that is not fully accredited yet. If this were a school just opening that were not affiliated with another well-known school, I would be concerned as well; however, since we are affiliated with PCOM, I can't even fathom the idea that the accreditation won't be there. PCOM has a pristine record in the DO and MD circles, they won't let anything happen to us. Having said that, I'm not sure what the process would be if we didn't get accredited. I think in order to be denied accreditation the school would really have to make some serious mistakes! Good luck deciding and hopefully we'll see you in August :thumbup:

When I went to the financial aid meeting I asked DR. Fleischmann about the accreditation and he said since we are a branch campus that we will be able to get our accrediation by the end of next school year if every thing goes as planned. If someone asked the people on the LECOM-FL forum they may know a little more about it since they are a year ahead.

Yeah, I heard just about the same thing as Brent. I called Ms. Carol Fox back in January and she told me that we should get full accreditation by February and if there is any complications about the accreditation then they would send us to Philadelphia branch.