Gastroenterologist Shortage Is Forecast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
1000 in 10 years doesnt sound too bad

I used to laugh at my cousin's career choice, but +1 for her.

Nice. Gastroenterology is one of my top choices as of now.

Aren't there forecasts for shortages in most specialties? Particularly those that deal with aging populations - orthopedics, oncology, etc?

I remember some kid told me that he wanted to be a GI back when we were in seventh grade. I guess he knew more than I gave him credit for.

I shadowed one, quite interesting how they manipulate that scope like a snake through your colon, but definately not for me

I think in general, if you become a doctor then you're going to be stable financially. You probably won't ever become rich, unless you bag Sanjay Gupta's open spot at CNN, but you'll definitely float comfortably.

That's the only real guarantee we get from all the sacrifice, that we won't be living in our car at any point.

Ahaha, it's funny you say this because I just shadowed a gastroenterologist today. Looks like I'm going to have to rethink that as an option.

I think in general, if you become a doctor then you're going to be stable financially. You probably won't ever become rich, unless you bag Sanjay Gupta's open spot at CNN, but you'll definitely float comfortably.

That's the only real guarantee we get from all the sacrifice, that we won't be living in our car at any point.
Wow, I'd like to know your definitions of "rich" and "comfortably". :laugh:

Luckily, most of the doctors around here are what the vast majority would call rich.