MD Gauge my chances of acceptance....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathWiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

I wanted to see if anyone was willing to help me gauge my competitiveness for allopathic medical school admissions.

I am attending East Carolina University, majoring in Public Health with a dual minor in Psychology and Biochemistry.

Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Mcat Score (2015): 491 *I plan to retake MCAT this next summer

Research: Freshman year, received grant for an independent project studying the biophysical modeling of isomer aquaporin-z in E. coli. It was a biophysics project using the Kedem-Katchalsky equations for membrane permeability.

Teaching Assistant in Cellular/Molecular Biology - taught 2 sections of recitation and covered 2 sections of lab

Tutor in Calculus sequence (II and III), General Chemistry (I and II), and Biology - clocked over 200 hours over freshman and sophomore year

I have had several shadowing/internship and volunteer experiences:
Current Internship in Surgery within UNC Healthcare system - 350+ hours, 126 surgeries seen (scrubbed
in and at the table)
Neurosurgery - 6 cases observed, 32 patient clinic consultations seen
General Surgery - 117 cases observed * General Surgery has been my focus and primary interest
Plastic Surgery - 1 case observed
Urology - 2 cases observed
GYN - 2 cases observed
Emergency Medicine/Trauma - 10 hours of experience

Internship in Anatomic Pathology at Penn State Hershey Medical Center - 50 hours of clinical/diagnostic experience as well as attended 2 resident/fellow seminars on breast and endocrine pathologies

Volunteer Internship in General Pediatrics and Family Medicine - 70 hours of experience

Internship Cumberland County Coroner's Office and Forensic Pathology Group - 100+ hours of
experience and aided in ~ 60 forensic autopsies

Hospital Volunteer at Carlisle Regional Medical Center - 56 hours

Volunteer Youth Leader at church and also run mixed media on sunday mornings for service

Medical Volunteer for PA Church of God Youth Camp - 4 summers

I'm a member of National Honors societies and several clubs/organizations on campus and I will be going to Uganda in January for 10 days with a group of surgeons from UNC to operate pro bono.

As far as medical schools go, my dream school is Yale, but I plan to also apply to UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, ECU, Harvard, Penn State, Penn, U of VA, VCU, WVU, Columbia, Tufts, etc...

Does my applications have any deficits? What are my chances? Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you already know your MCAT score if you took it in 2015? From what I've heard, the scaled score for the earliest administration of the 2015 MCAT test will not be available until mid-June. Only percentile ranges are out at this point, and they're fairly broad. If you're estimating based on that, keep in mind that your score could be quite higher or lower.