Gauging interview performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

septoplasty

Exceptional
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyway to gauge ones performance? Ive been on a few interviews and most have gotten pretty "routine" with my comfort level being pretty good as well.

I havent gotten any "positive" or "negative" vibes either. :confused:

Also, people constantly asking if we (prospective residents) have any questions is starting to get super annoying haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyway to gauge ones performance? Ive been on a few interviews and most have gotten pretty "routine" with my comfort level being pretty good as well.

I havent gotten any "positive" or "negative" vibes either. :confused:

Also, people constantly asking if we (prospective residents) have any questions is starting to get super annoying haha.

It's extremely difficult to get much insight in how well you interview apart from the end result. Ive known many people who thought they interview badly and got great results, and many people who thought they interview great and didn't. You could do a mock interview with someone somewhat critical, but in terms of self evaluation most people will have no clue.

Its very difficult to tell how you perform during an interview. But I figure, if the interviewer is engaged while we are talking, I must be doing pretty well. Or if the interviewer agrees with something I'm discussing or acknowledges that I have a good point.

It's extremely difficult to get much insight in how well you interview apart from the end result. Ive known many people who thought they interview badly and got great results, and many people who thought they interview great and didn't.

This is one of the biggest issues with the mass interview system that is required in residency.

When you interview for a job in the real world (including after training for an attending job) and don't get it, it's common to go back to the interviewer (usually via phone or email) and ask what, if anything, could have been improved in your interview. The sheer size of the residency interview system precludes this for the most part. So...you basically need to just get a feel for your performance. Alternatively, you could email an interview you had a good rapport with and ask them the question.

Having said all that, as long as you don't come off creepy, stupid or a potential serial killer, you're interview probably went well enough.

This is one of the biggest issues with the mass interview system that is required in residency.

When you interview for a job in the real world (including after training for an attending job) and don't get it, it's common to go back to the interviewer (usually via phone or email) and ask what, if anything, could have been improved in your interview. The sheer size of the residency interview system precludes this for the most part. So...you basically need to just get a feel for your performance. Alternatively, you could email an interview you had a good rapport with and ask them the question.

Having said all that, as long as you don't come off creepy, stupid or a potential serial killer, you're interview probably went well enough.

I got a thank you letter from the very first program I interviewed at. They said a couple of nice things that were very specific to my file. I am assuming this is a nice thing. Made me feel good anyways.

I got a thank you letter from the very first program I interviewed at. They said a couple of nice things that were very specific to my file. I am assuming this is a nice thing. Made me feel good anyways.

Got a personalized letter from a program after the interview.

Didn't match there...don't think they ranked me highly at all.

Asked two people there via email how I could maybe improve interview style or if they had advice.

No response.