Interview Performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoexile

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask. I'm applying for this years match and just had my first interview. I wanted to know how to evaluate your performance on the interview

I came out thinking that if they were scoring me I'd probably get a 7.5/10 on my interview (felt a bit uncomfortable at times). However, I have no clue to how to evaluate how well I am doing. I did some mock interviews with people and did generally fine with them. However, i'm unsure about this one.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just wanted to ask. I'm applying for this years match and just had my first interview in Florida. I wanted to know how to evaluate your performance on the interview

I came out thinking that if they were scoring me I'd probably get a 7.5/10 on my interview (felt a bit uncomfortable at times). However, I have no clue to how to evaluate how well I am doing. I did some mock interviews with people and did generally fine with them. However, i'm unsure about this one.

You could drive yourself crazy with these kinds of thoughts. It's OK to do some self assessment--did any of the questions catch you off guard? If so, think of how you'd respond should it come up again. Uncomfortable silence? Think of some questions for the interviewer to have in your back pocket. As you make your mental ROL, think about how YOU felt about the program and stop trying to guess how they felt about you. If you liked it and think you'd like to complete residency there, rank it high--if not, rank it low. If you absolutely hated it and would rather try your luck in SOAP than go there, don't rank it at all. But please don't expend a lot of energy trying to guess how you're being scored by programs when there's no way for you to know what criteria they use to evaluate interviews

Reactions: 4 users
I just wanted to ask. I'm applying for this years match and just had my first interview in Florida. I wanted to know how to evaluate your performance on the interview

People are very poor judges of how they interview, in any situation. Forget about this one; it's done, go on to the next one.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you have formal training in Human Resources and have a ton of interviewing skills it will be hard to judge unless you really just tank it.

So how do you know if you tank it? Aside from the standard insulting the interviewer, removing clothing and dancing on their desk, etc..

@neoexile I know this is a stressful time, but try to relax. This isn't a written test with quantifiable answers. One person might really enjoy talking with you, one might feel the opposite that's how conversations and interviews work. Be yourself, relax and be friendly. Use non-confrontational banter with other applicants and interviewers - sports is a good place to start, or where people are from/go to school and find some common ground. Avoid political discussions and don't be that applicant that brags about his or her application stats.

To be honest this is pretty common-sense stuff. Deep breaths and you'll get through it.

Reactions: 1 users
I was directly asked how many interviews I'd been on, and then, "how committed to this program are you?" How do you respond to that?

I was directly asked how many interviews I'd been on, and then, "how committed to this program are you?" How do you respond to that?
That sounds a little forward, sort of like that crazy girl dating meme.

At any rate, you answer honestly if its your #1 choice and the interview day hasn't changed that. If you're unsure, you answer you like you would on a date and say, "I've seen a lot of great things here today and am looking forward to learning more". If they continue to push you, then you say, "I will leave today with positive thoughts and can see myself here as a resident but need to do my due diligence and see the other programs I've been invited to interview at before making a commitment."

Then back away slowly and cross them off your ROL.

Reactions: 9 users

I always thought that the approach to those types of questions is if someone asks a stupid question, you give a stupid answer. The answer would be "This would be one of my top choices and I would love to be a resident here. Because of reasons x,y and z"

Conrad Fischer says just about the same thing.

That's not to say you shouldn't rank according to where you want to go. You should, at least, from my limited knowledge. However, during the interview, the program IS your number 1 until you come home and then decide whether it is or not.

Technically, they shouldn't be asking you that if this is a match position. Asking the applicant to commit or exploring where else they are applying is against the NRMP rules. I believe there is an anonymous system for reporting started by the NRMP, if you care.

Reactions: 7 users
Technically, they shouldn't be asking you that if this is a match position. Asking the applicant to commit or exploring where else they are applying is against the NRMP rules. I believe there is an anonymous system for reporting started by the NRMP, if you care.

But if asked an illegal question during the interview, you should respond the way that want you to respond at least for the moment?

Reactions: 1 user
But if asked an illegal question during the interview, you should respond the way that want you to respond at least for the moment?
I think so.

Jumping out of your seat, banging your fist on the desk ( or your shoe in Khrushchev style protest ) and yelling, “that’s an illegal question” and storming out is unlikely to be helpful.

Or you can do it my way (+/- the NRMP report). :p

Reactions: 5 users
I think so.

Jumping out of your seat, banging your fist on the desk ( or your shoe in Khrushchev style protest ) and yelling, “that’s an illegal question” and storming out is unlikely to be helpful.

Or you can do it my way (+/- the NRMP report). :p
Or you could throw your shoes at them, with or without shouting, "You lie!"

Reactions: 2 users
So how do you know if you tank it? Aside from the standard insulting the interviewer, removing clothing and dancing on their desk, etc..
So you're saying that showing off my tattoo of the hospital's logo on my butt was bad?

I guess hindsight really is 20/20...

(Go ahead and groan here.)

Can the I tell the program that I will rank them #1 after the interview, or is that against the rules? Are the rules just for the programs?

Can the I tell the program that I will rank them #1 after the interview, or is that against the rules? Are the rules just for the programs?
You can tell them whatever you want. They will assume that you are lying.

Unless this is the only program you interview at, you have no way of knowing, at the end of your interview day, that you will actually be ranking them #1.

You can tell them whatever you want. They will assume that you are lying.

Unless this is the only program you interview at, you have no way of knowing, at the end of your interview day, that you will actually be ranking them #1.
Thanks for your response. I want to make sure I understand, that at any point in season before ranking (not just right after an interview) it is not recommended to tell this to a program?

Thanks for your response. I want to make sure I understand, that at any point in season before ranking (not just right after an interview) it is not recommended to tell this to a program?
You can. Realistically it won't help if you weren't already going to be ranked to match, but if it makes you feel better it's unlikely to hurt.

Right. You can tell me where you are ranking me. I can tell you where I am ranking you. Neither of us can say "I'll rank you #1 if you rank me #1".

The problem from your end is that this board is full of threads in January asking "I told program A I was ranking them #1. But now I've really fallen in love with Program B and I want to rank it #1. What do I tell Program A?" And the answer, in case you were wondering, is that you never should have told Program A you were ranking them #1 in the first place.

As mentioned, any PD that's been doing this for a reasonable amount of time has been burned enough times by these statements that we simply don't believe them any more. And they don't really matter, since my best ranking strategy is to rank candidates in the order I want them and ignore your interest. (Although that's complicated, since in general all will be better in my program if I have people who actually want to be there, so it's possible that I might move people on my list based upon how much I think they want to come).

There always seems to be a bit of gamesmanship when it comes to picking interviewees. Programs want qualified candidates, but not so qualified that they go somewhere else. They want people with reasons to chose their program, such as location or a specific research opportunity. They do these things so that they don't have to interview a billion people and move way down their rank list. They also have a ton of information about you already (scores, standing in you class, etc), that most HR people in the private sector aren't privy to. By the time you go for an interview, it's already been established that the program is interested. Now, you just need to appear to be the person they want to work with to close the deal. While I'm not a PD, I've participated in interviews before.

I think there are some very basic questions you should be ready to answer:
1. Tell me about yourself - okay this isn't really a question
2. Why this field?
3. Why this program?
4. What are your goals?

Anything on your application, such as research or volunteer work, are fair game, so be prepared to talk about them. These are "gimme" questions where you get to brag a little, but people often fail them, so be prepared.

Most doctors aren't trained HR professionals, and tend to ask a lot of personal and/or "illegal" questions. Examples include asking about your cultural background, relationship status, family planning, etc. There are separate threads about dealing with these questions, but they come up frequently so you need a plan for when they do.

Some programs also have a mandate to train primary care doctors and/or doctors who will work in underserved communities. If you can credibly make the case that you will do these things, it can help your case. The PD is most likely a generalist, so keep that in mind. Of course, if your CV if filled with research on sub-specialized topics you might not be able to do this.

I agree with the "be yourself" and "don't brag" comments. Your CV speaks for itself, so no need to puff out your chest. I think it helps to think about non-medical things that come up over the course of the interview day. Politics and religion are best avoided, but it's good to know a little bit about local sports, music, movies, etc. Also, make sure you know if the hospital has been in the news lately for both good and bad reasons.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Just curious, but what do you think they’re getting at when they ask you how many places you are interviewing at?

I got asked that at quite a few of my fellowship interviews (not so much during my residency interviews).

I guess if you tell them you’re only interviewing at 3 programs, then the program will think they are highly desired. If you interview at 25 places then they might think they’re a backup? Or maybe telling them you have a lot of interviews says you’re a competitive applicant?

I’m not much of a liar, so I was honest and told them my range (which was more than the average # of interviews). But I’d explain how I’m really not geographically limited, and coming from a community residency program without a fellowship, I knew I might be at a disadvantage.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just curious, but what do you think they’re getting at when they ask you how many places you are interviewing at?

I always assumed this was to gauge how you did in the first phase of your application. They're trying to see if you got that Mass General interview because it lets them know if they have a realistic shot at retaining you.

Last edited:

I got asked that at quite a few of my fellowship interviews (not so much during my residency interviews).

Sometimes, it's just small talk. Depends on who it's coming from, I guess. The PD may use that information to gauge interest (though they out of everyone should be trained on illegal questions and shouldn't be asking), whereas other faculty members may just not know how many places people are applying. The residents/fellows frequently asked just to find out where in the process you were, to offer information to look for at other interviews, etc.

It’s just a strange question.

If I said 3 interviews- then you could interpret that as I was clearly committed to those 3 programs... or I wasn’t a good enough applicant to get more than 3 interview offers.

Or if I had said 20, it could say I’m not confident enough in my application, or I was competitive enough to get 20 interviews... or the program is just 1 out of 20 other programs I’m looking at.. ‍♀️

Whenever I was asked by other applicants how many interviews I’m going on, I either got “wow you are overdoing it” or “wow you got a lot of interviews!”

This post is funny as hell now. I matched at this program. XD Andddd I'm happy. :))))))

Reactions: 4 users
Other than geographical locations, what are some criteria that applicants have used to rank programs ? Of course fit is a good judgement, but i can only imagine residents and faculty are going to seem nice and caring while they have applicants at their hospital. Are the number of beds important ? Or # of admissions/year? Not sure what i should consider when the time comes to rank programs.

Other than geographical locations, what are some criteria that applicants have used to rank programs ? Of course fit is a good judgement, but i can only imagine residents and faculty are going to seem nice and caring while they have applicants at their hospital. Are the number of beds important ? Or # of admissions/year? Not sure what i should consider when the time comes to rank programs.

Gut feeling, mostly. I interviewed at a place where, while everyone was very nice and accepting, I got a bad feeling about matching there. Turns out, the subspecialty I was interested in pursuing was getting ready to undergo a major upheaval.

I also took into account things like salary and cost of living and size of the program, but the end really came down to that gut feeling.

- Cost of living
- Size of the program (in terms of how many co-residents you’ll have)
- Schedule (hours, call schedule)
- Clinical volume: you want to see a good variety of pathology, but maybe not be overwhelmed either.
- Research opportunities, especially if interested in fellowship
- Level of resident autonomy
- Rotation schedule: depends on what you’re interested in, but can evaluate how the program uses your time.
- If you’re doing surgery/procedures in your specialty: surgical/procedural volume, how much involvement do you actually have in the OR, etc.

But as the above poster mentioned, I agree that it mostly comes down to your gut feeling- how much you fit in with the co-residents and faculty, and if you can really see yourself working there.

- Cost of living
- Size of the program (in terms of how many co-residents you’ll have)
- Schedule (hours, call schedule)
- Clinical volume: you want to see a good variety of pathology, but maybe not be overwhelmed either.
- Research opportunities, especially if interested in fellowship
- Level of resident autonomy
- Rotation schedule: depends on what you’re interested in, but can evaluate how the program uses your time.
- If you’re doing surgery/procedures in your specialty: surgical/procedural volume, how much involvement do you actually have in the OR, etc.

But as the above poster mentioned, I agree that it mostly comes down to your gut feeling- how much you fit in with the co-residents and faculty, and if you can really see yourself working there.

In terms of how many co-residents you'll have? Is there a number thats too many or too few? and what are the benefits of each? If there is a lot of co-residents does that mean less call schedule?

In terms of how many co-residents you'll have? Is there a number thats too many or too few? and what are the benefits of each? If there is a lot of co-residents does that mean less call schedule?
It's going to depend on the specialty. Especially for surgical fields, too many residents means fewer cases. While this is true across the board for all specialties, it tends to be less of an issue in IM and FM since there are plenty of patients to go around. But if you can't get enough time in the OR, you can't graduate.

Gut feeling is important. Once you're at any sufficiently large academic program, realistically you're going to get a good training, so geographic location and how much you like the city/people you meet when you interview is important. Beyond that, if you're interested in a fellowship, you should look at how well-respected their fellowship program is (if they have one) and how successful they have been at matching residents in that specialty (and where their graduates have gone).

Everything else is noise. Again, unless you're looking at smaller community programs you're going to have plenty of clinical volume. I know everyone wants some magical formula where you can put everything in a spreadsheet and have it spit out the "best" program, but that just doesn't exist and trying to make up such a formula is a waste of time.
Probably the most relevant piece is that with a larger number of co-residents likely have a more forgiving backup call system--fewer days that each individual resident is responsible for backup, and program overall is more able to adjust to extended leaves for things like maternity leave, significant medical leave, etc. Obviously those are positives, but if for whatever reason you like a smaller program so you can be more "tight-knit," that's fine too.

Totally agree with the above posts.

In terms of program size- for example for residency I interviewed at programs with anywhere from 3 to 12 residents per class. 3 seemed awfully small to me with less flexible call schedule.

But on one hand with a smaller program, you may get to know your faculty more closely and possibly have the tight knit feel. But on the other hand, maybe you want a bigger class to blend in, or have a wider selection of residents to hang out with lol. So there’s no magic number, just depends on what you’re looking for and your personality.

And you may compare the resident class size relative to the patient volume to get an idea of how spread thin the residents are or if they get enough cases, etc.

But as they’ve mentioned. Don’t focus too much on numbers, just try to get the feel of a program.

I appreciate all the answers. Hopefully i get that feeling on the interview trail. Got my first 1 in a few days