Gay Friendly Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
indo said:
My roommate routinely calls me a "homo", even though he's the one with the teal colored "scrubby" in his shower, so I truly, truly feel your pain.

Also, I'll be sure to keep my hole shut.

:sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping UT-Houston is fairly gay friendly since i'll be starting in August. :thumbup:

Many Southerners during the time of the Civil War thought the idea of treating blacks equally with full rights of citizenship was morally abhorrent. I'll feel free to insist that my civil rights (as a gay man wishing for equality under the law in my relationship) are non-negotiable and certainly not subject to some capricious reading of a text written thousands of years ago that has been quoted to promote the subjugation of woman, the enslavement of blacks, the genocide of Jews and the oppression of sexual minorities.

Of course, it has been used to just the opposite ends, too. :rolleyes:

Little wonder that slavery first died in the Christian world (it's still going on in forms in the ME, in Africa, and Asia). Ever heard of John Woolman, arguably the first abolitionist? Go read some of his diaries, and he'll raise the hair on your neck, but he was a hardcore abolitiionist.

Let's get this straight: the Civil Rights movement was led primarily by:

A) Hippies
B) Gays
C) Church leaders
D) the girl scouts.

Correct answer? I'll let you fill in the blank.

The genocide of Jews? Ever read how the Vatican was involved in just the opposite during WWII? Or are you actually relying on men like John Cornwell and their accounts on history? There is a reason listening to Vatican Radio was a crime punishable by death in Nazi Germany. Sure, you can go back several hundred years ago to the pogroms.

You're right that you didn't make the rules, but these are not the rules. Biblical scholars who have actually gone back to original texts (those written at the time) and have shown that none of these apply to homosexuals in monogamous comitted relationships.

This is a giant stretch, to say the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
NPursuit said:
Of course, it has been used to just the opposite ends, too. :rolleyes:

Little wonder that slavery first died in the Christian world (it's still going on in forms in the ME, in Africa, and Asia). Ever heard of John Woolman, arguably the first abolitionist? Go read some of his diaries, and he'll raise the hair on your neck, but he was a hardcore abolitiionist.

Let's get this straight: the Civil Rights movement was led primarily by:

A) Hippies
B) Gays
C) Church leaders
D) the girl scouts.

Correct answer? I'll let you fill in the blank.

The genocide of Jews? Ever read how the Vatican was involved in just the opposite during WWII? Or are you actually relying on men like John Cornwell and their accounts on history? There is a reason listening to Vatican Radio was a crime punishable by death in Nazi Germany. Sure, you can go back several hundred years ago to the pogroms.

This is a giant stretch, to say the least.

The civil rights movement may have been led by preachers such as MLK, but he WAS black. How many gay church leaders do you know that can do the same for gay rights?

freaker said:
There were so many church leaders that weren't black, and they are entirely ignored. My grandfather was one of them, and he was one of many from my small town who travelled hundreds of miles to march and to speak across the country. And no, my town was not even in the middle of the civil rights clashes. Just a southern town with good church-going people..

ok

Although I don't agree with Psycho Doctor, I do have to concur with him that Christians get hit with the stereotypes unfairly too.. I'm Catholic (though not really practicing), and it really grated on me when our Ob/Gyn course director (a homosexual man who does 2nd trimester abortions) gave us a lecture on abortion and how "it's illegal in those NICE CATHOLIC countries" and smirked about how "born-again Christians (exactly who is he referring to here??)" and Catholics make up most of those having abortions (he showed "statistics" about this which I don't quite buy). OK, so I happen to believe that abortion is morally questionable (FTLOG, PLEASE don't start up on this topic now!), but no one deserves to be stereotyped in that way. This especially pi$$ed me off b/c I have always voted Democrat for many reasons, and my parents are quite similar; Dad was arrested in a Civil Rights demonstration in CA in the late 60's and I am VERY proud of him for that. I also don't think that any of what my course director does or who he is personally is any of my business, I just don't like that he felt the need to stoop to the level of people who have probably given him crap in the past about it.

Just a different prospective on that, but the statement "homosexuals are not poor" isn't what I've seen, many gay male patients with HIV/AIDS that I've seen have a LOT of socioeconomic issues going on, and just like any other patients in the Boston area hospitals, often have issues with substance abuse. I would say that this population is medically underserved, no?

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you knew how gay friendly Thomas Jefferson MEdical College was, its in Philadelphia. I am starting medical school there this August and I am moving with my gf. Nice to meet all of you

Kikinin said:
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you knew how gay friendly Thomas Jefferson MEdical College was, its in Philadelphia. I am starting medical school there this August and I am moving with my gf. Nice to meet all of you

Philly is very gay friendly... No idea about TJMC, though.

I hope it works out for you!

Hey Kikinin, Jefferson is arguably in the most gay-friendly part of Philadelphia. It's near the center city area, which has a high concentration of gays. The area is very nice (though also pricey), and I don't think you will encounter any problems.