gchem qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zriceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
prob 173 from destroyer:

N2h4(l) ------> N2(g) + 2H2(g)

change in H is -13 kcal.

The solution states reaction is spontaneous at all temperature.

I though reaction would not be spontaneous if temperature was too low with the hypothetical numbers for T and S:

G = H - TS
= -13 - (-25)(10)
= +237

so why would the reaction be spontaneous at ALL temps?

Members don't see this ad.

isnt T supposed to be in Kalvin???
which would make T positive at all temprature

isnt T supposed to be in Kalvin???
which would make T positive at all temprature

well suppose T was -25 Kelvin, the G would still be a positive number so how would G still be spontaneous at all T???

maybe i m getting something confused here, cuz i doubt the answer from Destroyer is wrong....

Since liquid----> gases, it means it would be less order, so entropy will be positive. Enthalpy is also positive, thus, the reaction will be spontaneous! :) Hope this help

Members don't see this ad :)
Since liquid----> gases, it means it would be less order, so entropy will be positive. Enthalpy is also positive, thus, the reaction will be spontaneous! :) Hope this help

The problem had set the enthalpy to -13 Kcal. So G has to be negative inorder for the reaction to spontaneous.

So i randomly assigned -25 Kevlin as the Temp and randomly assigned +10 for Entropy. The result is a positive G, which means the reaction under these assumed temp and entropy is not spontaneous.

But the answer states reaction is spontaneous at ALL temps. I m confused about the reasoning behind "all" temps.

Any other suggestions>??

Hi,:)
It's hard to get negative kelvin in the real world, becuase it will be -273c!!!!!!!!

Change in G = Change in H - T*Change in S

If you have a negative Change in H and Positive change in S then it is spontaneous for all temp.

If you have a positive chage in H and a negative change in S then it is nonspontaneous for all temp.

If you have negative change in H and negative change in S..then it is spontaneous at low temp.

If you have positive change in H and positive change in S...the it's spontaneous at at high temp.

Delta S is positive when you go from solid to liquid to gas. Therefore since you go from one equavalent of liquid to 2 equivalents of gas your entropy is very positive. If the Delta H is negative and the Entropy is positive then a negative-positive is equal to negative. therefore your Delta S is negative andf therefore its spontaneous at all temperatures Because negative temperatures are impossible.

Delta S is positive when you go from solid to liquid to gas. Therefore since you go from one equavalent of liquid to 2 equivalents of gas your entropy is very positive. If the Delta H is negative and the Entropy is positive then a negative-positive is equal to negative. therefore your Delta S is negative andf therefore its spontaneous at all temperatures Because negative temperatures are impossible.

Gotcha, now it makes sense. Apparently Lowest kelvin will be 0 degrees.

thanks.

Gotcha, now it makes sense. Apparently Lowest kelvin will be 0 degrees.

thanks.

you are right!!!
-25K would be -298C and i don't think the reaction would be feasible at that temp....gotta think within reasons...don't take it to extremes!!!

there is no such think as negative kelvin values. O degree kelvin is absolute cant go any lower.