Gchem question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjw822

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In achiever test one in chem section//

How many milliliters of 3.0 M H2SO4 are required to neutralize 30.0 ml of 4.0 M NaOH?

I tried to do M1V1=M2V2

it doesnt work....

how do i do this???

Members don't see this ad.

you have 2 protons from H2SO4 for every 1 proton of NaOH...this is called normality, so you need to multiple by 2 on the H2SO4 side...

it should look like this:
(2)(3M)(V)=(4M)(30ml)
V=(4)(30)/(2)(3)
v=20ml

Use N1V1 = N2V2, where N is normality. N is always greater than or equal to the Molarity. Since you are working with compounds that have 2H's and 1 OH........like osims said, use Normality. But know that equation N1V1 = N2V2....b/c if you get rxn problems like these, they are not that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In achiever test one in chem section//

How many milliliters of 3.0 M H2SO4 are required to neutralize 30.0 ml of 4.0 M NaOH?

what type of question would it have to ask....when u subract the volume they give you by the volume u find....does ne1 know what im talking bout....some times u do n1v1=n2v2 but then its something like since your already have this amount of volume you subtract blah blha blha....i always get this confused