GEMS (Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jamaican MD said:
I'm just wondering if people who decide to do this program tend to apply earlier (say June/July) and just put on AMCAS that you're doing this program.

I'd imagine that people finishing up GEMS this past school year already NETWORKED with the admissions folks so that they are "expecting" to receive that application when they apply. At least that's what I would have done.......

On another subject, everyone says applying early is key but for students that registered for MedMar, most of the schools that are interested in you wouldn't have contacted you until late August/ early Sept. For students that are flexible in where they attend medical school, I'd think waiting a bit to see who contacts you would be important since it seems to be a good idea to apply to schools that have already seen a bit of your info and want you to apply. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Jamaican MD said:
Another question :D

I'm just wondering if people who decide to do this program tend to apply earlier (say June/July) and just put on AMCAS that you're doing this program. That way, the admissions committees have your info early, but they can also wait for your first grades as opposed to rejecting you right away.

thats what i did...i got my acceptance letter for GEMS in late MAY..and then I finished my AMCAS in late JUNE. Sounds like it would help right???...but turns out committees dont care...they still see your loooooooooooow MCAT and might reject you outright becuz of the screening process. Im sure it happened to me :( I even got a rejection pre-interview from a school that i interviewed at last year....so sometimes there is nothing you can do. But you still should apply to AMCAS and finish your secondaries as soon as possible....you have other things to worry about during your GEMS year...ie classes....so you dont want to have secondaries hanging over you well into December. After you complete a class during GEMS, send in your new grades to all the schools....that seems to help, plus it shows your continued interest in the school.....but even though i did all this....schools keep rejecting me :(

but my luck is looking up...becuz we just found out we got interviews for gtown coming up next week! so even if State School of Medicine (i made that up) feels the need to reject me....i can say that at least GTOWN sees my "potential"

hahahaha...guess i have the last laugh.

either way....wish me luck on my own POST-GEMS-interview at Gtown.

draino15 said:
thats what i did...i got my acceptance letter for GEMS in late MAY..and then I finished my AMCAS in late JUNE. .
Let me start by saying that I plan to apply to GEMS assuming I don't have any acceptances for the class entering in 2005.

Having said that, you reapplied to med school BEFORE you had retaken the MCAT and started GEMS? This means you applied with essentially the same academic record as before or with one that would already be potentially problematic to adcoms. Or maybe I misintrepreted something? :confused: I'm guess I'm thinking most people apply to GEMS AFTER they have applied to med school not before, you know like I plan to apply to med school in late summer 2004 and GEMS spring 2005?

draino15 said:
Sounds like it would help right???...but turns out committees dont care...they still see your loooooooooooow MCAT and might reject you outright becuz of the screening process. Im sure it happened to me :( I even got a rejection pre-interview from a school that i interviewed at last year....so sometimes there is nothing you can do..
No offense, but this is why an applicant shouldn't apply without reasonably competitive MCATS. For example, I'm thinking you apply to GEMS for 2005, with reasonable MCATS from the either April or August 2004. Again if a person scores reasonably well, contacting GEMS for a "meeting" after you've received your improved scores is a great way to network BEFORE submitting your application.

draino15 said:
But you still should apply to AMCAS and finish your secondaries as soon as possible....you have other things to worry about during your GEMS year...ie classes....so you dont want to have secondaries hanging over you well into December. .
Again, I have a difference of opinion. Applying ANYWHERE without a resonble record of academic achievement is a huge mistake. If a person has grades/MCATS that are so low that a school would reject them without "waiting" to see some improvement in grades/MCATS, then why waste your time/money applying?
draino15 said:
After you complete a class during GEMS, send in your new grades to all the schools....that seems to help, plus it shows your continued interest in the school.....but even though i did all this....schools keep rejecting me :(
Common guys, GEMS is an opportunity that most other applicants envy. Please don't blow your chances by applying at the wrong time. Talk to schools you're interested "in the off season" BEFORE you press that AMCAS submit button. Most of them are willing to give you an idea about your chances for admissions and/or ways to improve your application. Applying early with a "shaky" application will NEVER overcome applying late with a "solid" one. Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
pathdr2b said:
Let me start by saying that I plan to apply to GEMS assuming I don't have any acceptances for the class entering in 2005.

Having said that, you reapplied to med school BEFORE you had retaken the MCAT and started GEMS? This means you applied with essentially the same academic record as before or with one that would already be potentially problematic to adcoms. Or maybe I misintrepreted something? :confused: I'm guess I'm thinking most people apply to GEMS AFTER they have applied to med school not before, you know like I plan to apply to med school in late summer 2004 and GEMS spring 2005?

No offense, but this is why an applicant shouldn't apply without reasonably competitive MCATS. For example, I'm thinking you apply to GEMS for 2005, with reasonable MCATS from the either April or August 2004. Again if a person scores reasonably well, contacting GEMS for a "meeting" after you've received your improved scores is a great way to network BEFORE submitting your application.

Again, I have a difference of opinion. Applying ANYWHERE without a resonble record of academic achievement is a huge mistake. If a person has grades/MCATS that are so low that a school would reject them without "waiting" to see some improvement in grades/MCATS, then why waste your time/money applying?

Common guys, GEMS is an opportunity that most other applicants envy. Please don't blow your chances by applying at the wrong time. Talk to schools you're interested "in the off season" BEFORE you press that AMCAS submit button. Most of them are willing to give you an idea about your chances for admissions and/or ways to improve your application. Applying early with a "shaky" application will NEVER overcome applying late with a "solid" one. Good Luck!!!

Let me first start off by saying...maybe i was too candid. I was merely giving advice, not putting myself out there to be attacked. That being said...let me address a few misconceptions that you have.

I applied to medical schools to enter in Aug. 2003. Having already taken the MCAT and taking a look at my GPA from a top 5 undergraduate institution (US News & World Reports), I believed I would be accepted...regardless of whether my scores were below or at the schools average applicant or accepted student data. So i applied and was granted a couple of interviews (which implies that some schools *did* think i was qualified). However, by March, I had not yet recieved an acceptance leter. So I began looking for a backup plan in case the other interviews led to rejections as well. In so doing, I applied to GEMS.

Subsequently I was accepted into GEMS in late May. At that point I filled out the AMCAS primary Application for the upcoming application cycle. Explicitly showing the classes that I would be taking at gtown. So my *new* AMCAS application had updated grades from my Senior year in undergrad, and they were made aware that I would be attending "graduate school" (aka...GEMS)at Georgetown.

-----------------

but you need a little background on GEMS to clear a couple of things up.
GEMS is not for the student who has a 3.75 gpa and a 28 mcat (not saying that *you* personally have scores like that). As a matter of fact I am quite positive if someone had scores like that they would NOT be accepted into GEMS. GEMS is a program designed to help students who are "academically high-risk", but would make a significant contribution to medicine if they were properly prepared. Meaning that it is not your "ticket" to med school if you applied to Harvard, Yale and Stanford and were waitlisted.... but didnt get in. GEMS wouldnt be able to help you...or in other words...it would be a waste of time for you and GEMS, becuz you wouldnt have problems getting into med school....u just maybe applied to the wrong schools.

Additionally, the mission behind GEMS is not like any other post-bacc program where "they" are trying to get you into med school after some time...ie...after you retake the mcat, after you take a year off to work on some research, ETC..... GEMS is trying to get you into medical school the absolute NEXT APPLICATION CYCLE. So you would *have* to apply to AMCAS at the same time you are accepted to GEMS.

GEMS is out to prove that numbers do not tell the whole story about an applicant. There are any number of reasons why our stats may be lower than yours....but the GEMS program is a chance to prove that we can do the work, and maintain an average that is higher than the other students in the medical school class at georgetown.

So once you are accepted to GEMS, you dont have to take the MCAT again.....the numbers dont make the applicant. Your progession in the program however, does.

------------------------------

So...it is not a shot in the dark to apply to AMCAS in June...and being essentially the same applicant that you were the previous cycle. However...once i recieved secondaries... I did have to send in updated transcripts to reflect my progess in the program. A transcript that shows a student who has HONORS (top 10%) of the class in Embrology, and a HIGH Pass (the next 15%) in Biochemistry at Georgetown has shown that they can handle the work...dont you think?? So by the time my secondaries were complete...i was NOT the same student I was last year that I applied.

You were also, talking about "networking".
I still confused as to what you mean. GEMS is not run by the "admissions committee" for GTOWN...so you cant call up the GEMS office, and ask if you would make a good candidate for georgetown school of medicine. You can however ask if you would make a good applicant to GEMS. So your new and improved MCAT scores would do you no good from a "networking" perspective.

Outside of GEMS....sure...if you take the MCAT and improve 5 points..by all means call every admissions office that you were rejected from and ask if you are a better applicant with your new scores.
But the GEMS program is an almost---substitute for the MCAT..if you can see that analogy. After going through GEMS, your academic achievement should not be called into question.

I know a few people in my GEMS class who have been granted admission to other schools, when they had been rejected everywhere they applied last year. I dont think its a coincidence that this happend. GEMS is an excellent opportunity to *show* you can do the work, and not only do it, but excell at a level higher than the "regular" 1st year medical school class.

All in all, i think you have a misconception of what the GEMS program is...its not the same thing as Georgetown School of Medicine. They are two separate entities, however the GEMS program has a linkage into the med school IFF (if and only if) you complete the rigours of the program.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to prepare for the GEMS interview? What types of activities will I participate in, and what kinds of questions will they ask?

:scared:

draino15 said:
Let me first start off by saying...maybe i was too candid. I was merely giving advice, not putting myself out there to be attacked. That being said...let me address a few misconceptions that you have.

I applied to medical schools to enter in Aug. 2003. Having already taken the MCAT and taking a look at my GPA from a top 5 undergraduate institution (US News & World Reports), I believed I would be accepted...regardless of whether my scores were below or at the schools average applicant or accepted student data. So i applied and was granted a couple of interviews (which implies that some schools *did* think i was qualified). However, by March, I had not yet recieved an acceptance leter. So I began looking for a backup plan in case the other interviews led to rejections as well. In so doing, I applied to GEMS.

Subsequently I was accepted into GEMS in late May. At that point I filled out the AMCAS primary Application for the upcoming application cycle. Explicitly showing the classes that I would be taking at gtown. So my *new* AMCAS application had updated grades from my Senior year in undergrad, and they were made aware that I would be attending "graduate school" (aka...GEMS)at Georgetown.

-----------------

but you need a little background on GEMS to clear a couple of things up.
GEMS is not for the student who has a 3.75 gpa and a 28 mcat (not saying that *you* personally have scores like that). As a matter of fact I am quite positive if someone had scores like that they would NOT be accepted into GEMS. GEMS is a program designed to help students who are "academically high-risk", but would make a significant contribution to medicine if they were properly prepared. Meaning that it is not your "ticket" to med school if you applied to Harvard, Yale and Stanford and were waitlisted.... but didnt get in. GEMS wouldnt be able to help you...or in other words...it would be a waste of time for you and GEMS, becuz you wouldnt have problems getting into med school....u just maybe applied to the wrong schools.

Additionally, the mission behind GEMS is not like any other post-bacc program where "they" are trying to get you into med school after some time...ie...after you retake the mcat, after you take a year off to work on some research, ETC..... GEMS is trying to get you into medical school the absolute NEXT APPLICATION CYCLE. So you would *have* to apply to AMCAS at the same time you are accepted to GEMS.

GEMS is out to prove that numbers do not tell the whole story about an applicant. There are any number of reasons why our stats may be lower than yours....but the GEMS program is a chance to prove that we can do the work, and maintain an average that is higher than the other students in the medical school class at georgetown.

So once you are accepted to GEMS, you dont have to take the MCAT again.....the numbers dont make the applicant. Your progession in the program however, does.

------------------------------

So...it is not a shot in the dark to apply to AMCAS in June...and being essentially the same applicant that you were the previous cycle. However...once i recieved secondaries... I did have to send in updated transcripts to reflect my progess in the program. A transcript that shows a student who has HONORS (top 10%) of the class in Embrology, and a HIGH Pass (the next 15%) in Biochemistry at Georgetown has shown that they can handle the work...dont you think?? So by the time my secondaries were complete...i was NOT the same student I was last year that I applied.

I still confused as to what you mean. GEMS is not run by the "admissions committee" for GTOWN...so you cant call up the GEMS office, and ask if you would make a good candidate for georgetown school of medicine. You can however ask if you would make a good applicant to GEMS. So your new and improved MCAT scores would do you no good from a "networking" perspective.

Outside of GEMS....sure...if you take the MCAT and improve 5 points..by all means call every admissions office that you were rejected from and ask if you are a better applicant with your new scores.
But the GEMS program is an almost---substitute for the MCAT..if you can see that analogy. After going through GEMS, your academic achievement should not be called into question.

I know a few people in my GEMS class who have been granted admission to other schools, when they had been rejected everywhere they applied last year. I dont think its a coincidence that this happend. GEMS is an excellent opportunity to *show* you can do the work, and not only do it, but excell at a level higher than the "regular" 1st year medical school class.

All in all, i think you have a misconception of what the GEMS program is...its not the same thing as Georgetown School of Medicine. They are two separate entities, however the GEMS program has a linkage into the med school IFF (if and only if) you complete the rigours of the program.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on this one. You can't apply to GEMS unless you've appleid to med school, so the point is to get you in the follwoing cycle. Just like the point of the MS in Physio program is to get you in the next cycle. In my mind, I didn't think that schools would just reject you straight away because you were the "same" applicant, rather, they would see that you are doing a graduate level program.

I think ad coms know what GEMS is all about. I think they would probably put your app on HOLD until the 1st grades come in, but I would still apply early through AMCAS.

I think path has the right idea, though, when she says that it might be a good idea to contact the schools ahead of time, speak to someone on the committee, send in a letter as well (letting them know that although you may look the same on paper, that you're doing GEMS).

There are probably some GEMS who got interviews the year before GEMS even with the "risky" stats, so I guess it has to be an individual thing as to when one decides to apply.

draino15 said:
but my luck is looking up...becuz we just found out we got interviews for gtown coming up next week! so even if State School of Medicine (i made that up) feels the need to reject me....i can say that at least GTOWN sees my "potential"

hahahaha...guess i have the last laugh.

either way....wish me luck on my own POST-GEMS-interview at Gtown.

Good luck at GU!! You're almost in there :thumbup:

draino15 said:
First, my intention was NOT to attack you is I apologize if you took it that way. But we need to be clear this process which for which success is already stacked against the average URM applicant. That's ALL I'm trying to do is communicate MY expereinces to prevent someone from making the same stupid mistakes I've made.
draino15 said:
GEMS is not for the student who has a 3.75 gpa and a 28 mcat (not saying that *you* personally have scores like that). As a matter of fact I am quite positive if someone had scores like that they would NOT be accepted into GEMST..
This is pretty darn close to my academic situation but Ms.Williams encougared me to apply anyway. So you see, GEMS looks at a variety of backgrounds especially if that same applicant had been rejected by G'town (which wasn't my case)
draino15 said:
So once you are accepted to GEMS, you dont have to take the MCAT again.....the numbers dont make the applicant. Your progession in the program however, does..
The average MCAT for the GEMS matriculant a few years ago was a 21. I person would be a complete fool to not take the MCAT again to try to raise this score especially if they are interested in MD/PhD or Harvrad. I agree numbers don't tell the story but let me tell you that of the poeple I know that had low 20's MCATS they ALL struggled passing their boards. "Mastering" the MCAT NOW I think will save you much trouble later on, IMHO.
draino15 said:
I still confused as to what you mean. GEMS is not run by the "admissions committee" for GTOWN...so you cant call up the GEMS office, and ask if you would make a good candidate for georgetown school of medicine. You can however ask if you would make a good applicant to GEMS. So your new and improved MCAT scores would do you no good from a "networking" perspective...
I've spoken to Ms. Williams on a number of occasions and the year I was admitted to med school, I asked her what were my chances at G'town AND GEMS and her response was very good to GEMS and reasonably competitive to G'Town. But my first contact with Ms.Williams was by email and she was VERY good about responding to me. However, please tell me you don't really think a 28 MCAT up from 21 will NOT help you. This is simply ridiculous. It may not help you at G'town which I personally find inpossible to believe, but it may help you at the other 122 mediccal school in the US.
draino15 said:
All in all, i think you have a misconception of what the GEMS program is...
I'm actually VERY clear about what GEMS is having considered it myself years ago and with plans to apply to the program if I'm not admitted for 2005. But I don't believe in submitting half-a$$ed applications to ANY program which is exactly what I did when I applied to med school 12 years ago. No wonder, I wasn't admitted then (solid MCAT, but VERY low ungrad GPA,so what was I thinking?). But now, I take a VERY hard stand on this because I know rejection hurts but can be avoided if the application is solid. Believe it or not people DO have it in thier power to make their applications as strong as they can whether their applying to GEMS or Harvard.

I'm about proper preparation and networking as a means to get into medical school and if GEMS is the conduit for that then, Bravo !! But if not, study your a$$ off for the MCAT for a year if need be, go to grad school or do a post bacc to get that GPA up, and get that acceptance!!

pathdr2b said:
First, my intention was NOT to attack you is I apologize if you took it that way. But we need to be clear this process which for which success is already stacked against the average URM applicant. That's ALL I'm trying to do is communicate MY expereinces to prevent someone from making the same stupid mistakes I've made.

This is pretty darn close to my academic situation but Ms.Williams encougared me to apply anyway. So you see, GEMS looks at a variety of backgrounds especially if that same applicant had been rejected by G'town (which wasn't my case)

The average MCAT for the GEMS matriculant a few years ago was a 21. I person would be a complete fool to not take the MCAT again to try to raise this score especially if they are interested in MD/PhD or Harvrad. I agree numbers don't tell the story but let me tell you that of the poeple I know that had low 20's MCATS they ALL struggled passing their boards. "Mastering" the MCAT NOW I think will save you much trouble later on, IMHO.

I've spoken to Ms. Williams on a number of occasions and the year I was admitted to med school, I asked her what were my chances at G'town AND GEMS and her response was very good to GEMS and reasonably competitive to G'Town. But my first contact with Ms.Williams was by email and she was VERY good about responding to me. However, please tell me you don't really think a 28 MCAT up from 21 will NOT help you. This is simply ridiculous. It may not help you at G'town which I personally find inpossible to believe, but it may help you at the other 122 mediccal school in the US.

I'm actually VERY clear about what GEMS is having considered it myself years ago and with plans to apply to the program if I'm not admitted for 2005. But I don't believe in submitting half-a$$ed applications to ANY program which is exactly what I did when I applied to med school 12 years ago. No wonder, I wasn't admitted then (solid MCAT, but VERY low ungrad GPA,so what was I thinking?). But now, I take a VERY hard stand on this because I know rejection hurts but can be avoided if the application is solid. Believe it or not people DO have it in thier power to make their applications as strong as they can whether their applying to GEMS or Harvard.

I'm about proper preparation and networking as a means to get into medical school and if GEMS is the conduit for that then, Bravo !! But if not, study your a$$ off for the MCAT for a year if need be, go to grad school or do a post bacc to get that GPA up, and get that acceptance!!

NOW..i agree with you.

As for your scores...the average for GEMS this year was a 23 mcat and a 3.2 gpa. Now im not saying that if you get a 28 mcat your chance arent good at getting into med school...indeed they are. But as for getting into the GEMS program itself, its a different story. Your specific situation was different..it isnt so much your grades or MCAT..but rather the amount of time you have taken off before going to medical school that makes you interesting to the GEMS admissions committee.

It doesnt make sense for them to take people who are already able to get into med school. GEMS is to help those who otherwise might not even have a shot at getting into ANY school. They give you the proper study tools, and academic preparation to be able to handle the work.

IMHO...if you are trying to get into harvard...that very intent makes you "over qualified" for GEMS. It seems near impossible to go from ZERO acceptances one year to Harvard the next. So thats where i see the disconnect. If you wanted to do the MD/PHD and/or Harvard...then you *do* need to retake the MCAT....why waste the time in GEMS taking four classes?...your gpa isnt going to jump that much. So your app. for Harvard will still be "suspect" following your GEMS year.

BTW....statistics have shown that GEMS have around a 95% chance of passing STEP 1 on the first try. So its not necessarily the low MCAT scores..but rather the preparation you get while in GEMS that dictates your success on the boards.

draino15 said:
It doesnt make sense for them to take people who are already able to get into med school. GEMS is to help those who otherwise might not even have a shot at getting into ANY school.

First let me state that I think having this discussion is absolutely a great idea. People should have various viewpoints before making a decision.

However, I think we should define what a "good" record for getting into medical school is. With very few exceptions, I don't beleive there is any such thing a "record good enough to get into medical school" because there are NO guarentees in this process. On the other hand, the "magic number" for URM's to be essentially guarented an acceptance somewhere appears to be 30. However, suppose you have a URM applicant with great LOR's, EC's and MCAT of 24, GPA 3.6. While we can say with reasonable certainity that this person can get into a medical school somewhere you're assuming this person can AFFORD to apply to many schools. As you know for many URM's this is NOT the case. Suppose this same student is limited to applying to schools in Baltimore only for personal reasons, which already limits them to Hopkins and UMaryland. I can tell you that Hopkins wants their URM's to have at least a "30" to even get a interview (or so I was told by the minority admissions director). So in theory this person is left with UMaryland and imagine they were late to the interview (traffic) and had a bad interview. Don't you think it's fair that if this applicant is willing to relocate to DC that she/he should have a shot at GEMS? I certainily think so.

draino15 said:
IMHO...if you are trying to get into harvard...that very intent makes you "over qualified" for GEMS. .
Did I read this right? Are you saying that a person (like myself a few years ago) that for whatever reason has an interest in Harvard shouldn't consider GEMS? The bottom line is to GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL. I'd ride a Rhinonoserous if I had to if that's what it took to get in. Do me a favor and ask Ms.Williams where GEMS students end up. I'd be willing to bet that since they had a brother matriculate MD/PhD a few years back at G'town I believe, there's bound to be a few IVY league/Top 10 or 20 medical schools in the mix also.

I should also point out that the main goal isn't just about getting in for URM's , but getting in somewhere you'll be comfortable as a URM. Based on the number of URM's that have graduated from G'town and the fact that they have the GEMS program, this school (assuming no extenuating circumstances) should be on the list of EVERY URM applicant, IMHO.

draino15 said:
why waste the time in GEMS taking four classes?...your gpa isnt going to jump that much. So your app. for Harvard will still be "suspect" following your GEMS year..
I could NEVER see a waste in excelling at medical school courses, because in the end somebody is going to be impressed. This is just one of the many reasons a person should do GEMS to get exposure to medical school courses, to get emotional support in the process, and to impress an adcom. I'd personally welcome the opportunity to divide the first year into 2, which is essentially what happens with GEMS students that matriculate at G'town the following year. For students the complete GEMS and go to school elswhere, they are at an advantage academically at the medial school they do attend. How can prior exposure to the coursework in medical school EVER be a waste?
draino15 said:
BTW....statistics have shown that GEMS have around a 95% chance of passing STEP 1 on the first try. So its not necessarily the low MCAT scores..but rather the preparation you get while in GEMS that dictates your success on the boards.
While this may be true, this is STILL high compared to other medical schools overall. Again, the goal should be 100% so this number is completely meaningless to me and it should be to you too.

draino15 said:
I applied to medical schools to enter in Aug. 2003. Having already taken the MCAT and taking a look at my GPA from a top 5 undergraduate institution (US News & World Reports), I believed I would be accepted...regardless of whether my scores were below or at the schools average applicant or accepted student data. So i applied and was granted a couple of interviews (which implies that some schools *did* think i was qualified). .
Please tell me that you fully understand what is inherently wrong with making assumptions like these... I'm sorry to call you out like this but I would be a crime and a shame to have other URM's or applicants reading this thinking that was the attitude they should have when they apply to med school. AA is in place the give URM's a leg up when they have done all they can do to get in, NOT to substitute for what are obvious red flags in our applications.

While I think it's fantastic that you received interviews, acceptance is the goal. It's kinda like loosing an election by one vote, it's still a loss in the end.

At any rate, I wish you the best but lets try hard in the future not to give anyone the impression we don't have our expectations set realisticly yet high.

pathdr2b said:
Please tell me that you fully understand what is inherently wrong with making assumptions like these... I'm sorry to call you out like this but I would be a crime and a shame to have other URM's or applicants reading this thinking that was the attitude they should have when they apply to med school. AA is in place the give URM's a leg up when they have done all they can do to get in, NOT to substitute for what are obvious red flags in our applications.

While I think it's fantastic that you received interviews, acceptance is the goal. It's kinda like loosing an election by one vote, it's still a loss in the end.

At any rate, I wish you the best but lets try hard in the future not to give anyone the impression we don't have our expectations set realisticly yet high.

By that statment, I was trying to state, that I was thought, and to an extent do still think that my GPA and mcat scores were acceptable for med school. And they were....since i did get interviews. Maybe you think thats me being naive...but i personally dont think that. As a definition, the AVERAGE statistic means some are below and some are above. So if you are around the average, shouldnt you fall into the middle of the pack?

What im getting from you is that you believe that as URMs we shouldnt settle for the middle of the pack. I agree, but not all of us are prepared to take time off to start back with all the pre-reqs, or do some extensive research, or pull their mcat up 5+ points. And if you do try all of those...what do you do if you are still unsuccessful....give up your dreams of becoming a physician? I say there is nothing wrong with taking a chance. And IF unsuccessful, then try to find a pathway that leads you to your goal. This is where your networking idea comes into play. Call schools and see why you didnt get in, ask who you can improve your application.

What would be a crime is for URMs to give up on a dream without even trying...and thats my point.

Maybe thats where i would have found myself without a program such as GEMS...but hey...you have to apply to medical school and be applying as a re-applicant to even be considered for GEMS. To put it another way...GEMS is not a bunch of students who should have never applied to med school because they had no chance. All of us are competitive applicants...this is just a way of getting a chance to prove we CAN excell.

Im lucky to have found a program like GEMS which helps secure those study skills and helps build an academic foundation so that you are not behind when you begin your formal medical education. And trust me...my scores have been well above average at gtown. There is a very high standard of excellence that you must achieve at GEMS, and people have been let go if they were unable to attain it. But i can honestly say i am a better student because of GEMS, and others who have gone through programs such as it im sure would say the same.

Can anyone (draino or a recent interviewee) address the finaicial aid component of the program? How much FEDERAL aid is available to cover the costs of the program (not private). I try to avoid private borrowing like the plague. I'm wondering if it's the same $10, 500 you get as an undergraduate. If so, that leaves about $1200 not covered. Also, does anyone work? I know it's probably not a GREAT idea. But what about 12-20 hours a week? I know the program is full time Mon-Fri. Do you guys typically take the weekend off (xcept if there's an exam coming up) or did you find yourself studying round the clock.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamaican MD said:
Can anyone (draino or a recent interviewee) address the finaicial aid component of the program? How much FEDERAL aid is available to cover the costs of the program (not private). I try to avoid private borrowing like the plague. I'm wondering if it's the same $10, 500 you get as an undergraduate. If so, that leaves about $1200 not covered. Also, does anyone work? I know it's probably not a GREAT idea. But what about 12-20 hours a week? I know the program is full time Mon-Fri. Do you guys typically take the weekend off (xcept if there's an exam coming up) or did you find yourself studying round the clock.

Federal regulations govern how a school may award funds to certain
students. The GEMS Program is a certificate program; federal
regulations set the Stafford Loan limits at $6,625.00 for certificate
programs. In addition to the Federal Stafford Loan, students in the
GEMS Program are eligible for the following loans:

$4,000 - Federal Perkins Loan (subsidized)
$10,000 - Georgetown Student Loan (subsidized)
$7,969 - private loan (unsubsidized - loan is provided by the lender who
makes your Federal Stafford Loan and is based upon their review of your
credit history)

In total, GEMS students may borrow the total estimated cost of the
program ($28,594.00) through these loan programs, so there is no need
for you to go to an "outside" lender in order to secure funding. As
long as you have filed the FAFSA and completed the Georgetown Financial
Aid Application, the FinAid office will review your file and package you up to
the full eligibility for the program.

ALSO...i dont know of anyone who works. There really is no time. You really only have time to study and sleep since you NEED to beat the average for the med school on each test. The risk is too great to work a part time job and then try to maintain scores above average. If GEMS is your "last chance" to get into med school...u dont wanna risk it. Yea, and studying on the weekends is a must....its not even "catch up time"....its "staying up to date with the work time" on the weekends. I'm lucky if i can afford to go out and party one night of the week.

However..once you are in med school things change..there is more money to be had from FinAid...and you have more freetime. So working is a better option saved for your 1st year of medical school instead of your GEMS year.

Thanks for clearing that up draino15 ;) Earlier, when I called fin aid office, the lady only mentioned the stafford as a non-private loan option.

Jamaican MD said:
Thanks for clearing that up draino15 ;) Earlier, when I called fin aid office, the lady only mentioned the stafford as a non-private loan option.

I MUST be old because I remember the time when GEMS was FREE and all a student had to do was borrow for living expenses.

pathdr2b said:
I MUST be old because I remember the time when GEMS was FREE and all a student had to do was borrowhttp://forums.studentdoctor.net/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0&forumid=10 for living expenses.

FREE?? :eek:

That must have been nice! Then I would have almost no living expenses seeing as how I live at home (which is 30 min away).

Jamaican MD said:
FREE?? :eek:

That must have been nice! Then I would have almost no living expenses seeing as how I live at home (which is 30 min away).

Yeah, those were the good ole' days (early 90's).

let me add one more thing.......

Tuition ALONE is like $12,000 now.
but with living expenses, books, food, travel, etc...the TOTAL amount budgeted for students is $23,000.

draino15, were you at the lunch or Q&A segment on Monday? I was trying to figure out who my fellow SDners were!

Jamaican MD said:
draino15, were you at the lunch or Q&A segment on Monday? I was trying to figure out who my fellow SDners were!

yup..we were required to be there.
i was at lunch too....so i probably talked to you without knowing who you were.

Jamaican MD said:

Jamaican,

He's a top-secret spy agent. ;) I had the pleasure of meeting him on Monday...he's a hottie! :laugh: Sorry draino, didn't mean to embarass you like this. :D

Persistence101 said:
He's a top-secret spy agent. ;) I had the pleasure of meeting him on Monday...he's a hottie!

:laugh: Alright Persistence! Go on and put it out there! No shame in your game! ;)

Jamaican MD said:
:laugh: Alright Persistence! Go on and put it out there! No shame in your game! ;)

Alrighty...there were lots of hotties on Monday. It must be the water in D.C. :D

C

Last edited:
007 said:
Can anyone who recently interviewed comment on how the interview day went? How many people recieved interviews? how were the other applicants and current GEM students? did u get good vibes about the people, program, Gtown, etc?

IMO, it's a wonderful program. Are you thinking about applying? Everyone in GEMS is so nice and friendly....just overall wonderful people. I'm not surprised why they got selected.

I :love: GEMS!!!

007 said:
Can anyone who recently interviewed comment on how the interview day went? How many people recieved interviews? how were the other applicants and current GEM students? did u get good vibes about the people, program, Gtown, etc?

there were 2 interview days, and about 33 applicants I believe. . .The vibe was good. GEMS is a good program. You will get worked/pimped, but think of it as preparation for the future. Everyone was nice--interviewees, current and former GEMS. For me, the coolest thing was seeing the 4th years and MDs who were GEMS. I think it's easy to get caught up in "dang, I have to do another year, and apply all over again!!!" But if being a doctor is what you really want to be, one more year won't really matter.

Persistence101 said:
Alrighty...there were lots of hotties on Monday. It must be the water in D.C. :D

I concur. :cool:

And girl, I have to add that you were rockin' during that group exercise! I was like, dang, she knows her stuff. (Neuro was never my fav)

yea. i wanted to apply for next yr and was just wonderin what the interview day was like and if the program is worth all that money.

Persistence101 said:

So there are a lot of hotties in GEMS? its good to know that there is some eye candy w/ brains too. thats always an added bonus! :)

Persistence101 said:

Hahaha...Ya'll are crazy, but I can't argue with you!

Jamaican MD - nice work :laugh: (she knows what I'm talking about)

PhillyGrrl said:

:laugh: yup lol!

Persistence101 said:
Jamaican,

He's a top-secret spy agent. ;) I had the pleasure of meeting him on Monday...he's a hottie! :laugh: Sorry draino, didn't mean to embarass you like this. :D

ha!.....thanks i 'preciate that

Jamaican MD said:
I concur. :cool:

And girl, I have to add that you were rockin' during that group exercise! I was like, dang, she knows her stuff. (Neuro was never my fav)

Hehe...thanks, you didn't do so bad yourself (you know your phosphorylations ;) ). We make a great team, don't we? :cool:

PhillyGrrl said:

PhillyGrrl,

Were you there on Monday?

Persistence101 said:
We make a great team, don't we? :cool:

:thumbup:
I hope that I see you and Phillygrl there! Countdown to May 30 (the date by which we'll know something).

Jamaican MD said:
:thumbup:
I hope that I see you and Phillygrl there! Countdown to May 30 (the date by which we'll know something).

Good luck ladies!

so who is who?
i saw each and everyone one of you...but even with city names still cant put a name and/or a face together.

lareina882 said:
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to prepare for the GEMS interview? What types of activities will I participate in, and what kinds of questions will they ask?

:scared:

Hey lareina, where have you been? Come out and play with us too. :D

For the GEMS applicants this year, I'm wondering if you guys also applied to G'town this year or if it was required to do so. I guess I'm wondering because in the past, the overwhelming majority of all the G'town URM's have come from the GEMS program.

Thanks!

pathdr2b said:
For the GEMS applicants this year, I'm wondering if you guys also applied to G'town this year or if it was required to do so. I guess I'm wondering because in the past, the overwhelming majority of all the G'town URM's have come from the GEMS program.

Thanks!

You don;t have to apply to Georgetown to apply to GEMS, you just have to submit an AMCAS application showing the GEMS committee that you applied to medical school.

How selective are they in the GEMS program. I just found out about it and want to apply for 2005-2006

Hey Guys,
I see I'm not the only that fell in love with Georgetown. By the way, I am the girl from long Island NY. Did anyone else apply to other Post bacc's??

lareina882 said:
Hey Guys,
I see I'm not the only that fell in love with Georgetown. By the way, I am the girl from long Island NY. Did anyone else apply to other Post bacc's??

I didn't apply to any other post-bacc's, but if I don't get accepted to GEMS then I probably will apply to other programs.

Draino15 - How was your interview for the med school? Did they give you a decision yet?

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know!

PhillyGrrl said:
I didn't apply to any other post-bacc's, but if I don't get accepted to GEMS then I probably will apply to other programs.

Draino15 - How was your interview for the med school? Did they give you a decision yet?

oh it was cool....much easier than the GEMS interview(s). They say we should know around the same time that you all find out about GEMS...so any day/week now.
But im pretty confident.

draino15 said:
They say we should know around the same time that you all find out about GEMS...so any day/week now.
But im pretty confident.

Confidence? Gotta love it because either way, looks like you're set!! :thumbup:

Draino15,

In the acceptance letter, they say you are billed pretty much immediately in July. Did you get your financial aid in July? Or did you have to come out of pocket until the aid was disbursed??