GEMS (Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we had the financial aid before that official July date.
So the tuition payment comes out of your loan money, and then you get a refund check for the remaining amount, which you use to pay your rent, utilities, groceries...etc.
Draino15 has no money to come out of pocket with!!!
haha

Jamaican MD said:
Draino15,

In the acceptance letter, they say you are billed pretty much immediately in July. Did you get your financial aid in July? Or did you have to come out of pocket until the aid was disbursed??

Members don't see this ad.

Neither do I. . .that's why I was starting to panic! But (based on what you said) I see that they come through :D

How did you guys do with the GEMS interviews?

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really, I think they shouldn't look at race as much as financial issues. People who grew up poor tended to lack experiences that would help them get into medical school regardless of race. And in some places, whites are URMs truthfully but I don't see them getting any special treatment. On the other hand, just like I like to see a woman doctor perhaps people of other races care what color their doctor is. However, I grew up dating guys from different races and the one thing they all had in common was parents who valued education and were often from upper middle class backgrounds. It bothers me that those guys, who are just like most of us, have an edge. They never had any bad consequences of their race. Not only that, some of their families were from Africa and they even had servants.

neoncandle said:
Really, I think they shouldn't look at race as much as financial issues. People who grew up poor tended to lack experiences that would help them get into medical school regardless of race. And in some places, whites are URMs truthfully but I don't see them getting any special treatment. On the other hand, just like I like to see a woman doctor perhaps people of other races care what color their doctor is. However, I grew up dating guys from different races and the one thing they all had in common was parents who valued education and were often from upper middle class backgrounds. It bothers me that those guys, who are just like most of us, have an edge. They never had any bad consequences of their race. Not only that, some of their families were from Africa and they even had servants.

Huh? Are you trying to prove a point? Wrong thread, buddy. :rolleyes: Go back and read about GEMS and get your facts straight before you post and make a fool out of yourself.

stoleyerscrubz said:
How did you guys do with the GEMS interviews?

Good Luck.

Thanks for asking. Some of us SDNers are starting GEMS in a month and we are very excited! :D

neoncandle said:

It really os an individual thing. Just because one isn't a minority does not mean that s/he isn't disadvantaged. One can be educationally disadvantaged (i.e. first in family to obtain a higher education) or financially disadvantaged (i.e. poor). Most URMs tend to be both.

If a non-URM fits the profile of a disadvantaged student AND wants to serve the underserved, then by all means, apply to GEMS and other programs like it.

Good luck to everyone starting GEMS next month and kiss some serious booty!!! :thumbup:

Jamaican MD said:
Hey Persistence! :D

Hey Jamaican! How's your leg? Is the cast off?

So...will you be gracing us with your presence next month? :D You have some tough choices. Best of luck with your decision. :luck:

congrats to you all!!

Persistence101 said:
Hey Jamaican! How's your leg? Is the cast off?

So...will you be gracing us with your presence next month? :D You have some tough choices. Best of luck with your decision. :luck:

The cast is off, and I'm wearing a brace. Still not sure about next month. . .I have until Friday, and if I need to walk the contract in, I will!

Hey Draino,

I hope you are enjoying your summer thus far as a soon-to-be MS1. :D

Did most of the GEMS students your year revise/rewrite their personal statement, or did they send in basically the same thing with just an addendum that they'll be participating in GEMS? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Persistence, I asked Ms. Williams about that, and she said to definitely revise your PS to reflect that you are participating in GEMS.

And where is draino? We all want to hear about that acceptance!

Persistence101 said:
Hey Draino,

I hope you are enjoying your summer thus far as a soon-to-be MS1. :D

Did most of the GEMS students your year revise/rewrite their personal statement, or did they send in basically the same thing with just an addendum that they'll be participating in GEMS? Thanks.

I'm here....I'm still checkin up on yall in case you ever need some advice or some info. but nothing has come up recently, so ive just been reading the thread then signing off.

but to answer your question:

I personally liked my PS. I think it was very well written if i do say so myself. So i didnt revise it at all. The only thing i changed on AMCAS was...i added my senior year grades since i applied to go straight out of undergrad...and i updated the forms with the classes that i was gonna take during GEMS.
but i might be the exception. a lot of people changed their PS. Its not really necessary if you dont want to though, specially if your topic had nothing to do with school, grades, academic challenges, etc...
I wrote about a more personal subject, so i didnt see any need to change it.

------------------------------------------------

now...what have i been up to
ENJOYING MY FREAKIN SUMMER!
i found a job so that i can pay the bills and stay in my apt near school instead of move back into my parents house in Maryland.
But let me tell you this....there is no feeling like an acceptance letter :D
Most of us held out on buying any gtown shirts, hats, shorts, etc...until we were officially in (you know..cuz its bad luck). then when we got in, i think we bought every teeshirt and other random stuff that was in that bookstore! --- there is no reason to have a gtown waterbottle....but when your excited you buy crazy things!

I cant wait to start school, which is weird to say but when you work for a whole year tryin to get something, you appreciate it a whole lot more. We wont be back till Aug. 11th, but each one of us will drop in and say hi to your group and give you some advice when school starts for us.

All i can tell you now is to enjoy the next few "days" of your summer. As soon as you get your summer reading packet, the summer is over! hahahahahahahaha.
thats evil - i shouldnt say that.
even though its true.

congrats on your acceptances, i look forward to seein you guyz in the Fall!

Congrats draino!!

Do GEMS students tend to matriculate to Georgetown med right after the program, or do students attend other schools? While in the GEMS program, do students apply to med school, and the program sends 'updates' to the schools that they are applying to?

Thanks!

draino15 said:
then when we got in, i think we bought every teeshirt and other random stuff that was in that bookstore! --- there is no reason to have a gtown waterbottle....but when your excited you buy crazy things!

:laugh:

Do GEMS students have to complete the secondary application and re-submit LORS? Thanks.

Congratulations Draino :D

After a yearlong "bootcamp" You deserve every bit of GU para that you can buy!

DocKW said:
Do GEMS students tend to matriculate to Georgetown med right after the program, or do students attend other schools? While in the GEMS program, do students apply to med school, and the program sends 'updates' to the schools that they are applying to?

Thanks!

If you complete GEMS, AND are granted an interview, AND are accepted, then you can decide if you want to matriculate. Of course all 3 of those conditions must be met, and its NO GUARANTEE that you will complete the program, be granted an interview, OR be accepted. There has not been a year [that i am aware of] where at least one person who begins the program in July, has not had a problem with at least ONE of those 3 conditions, which as you can tell -- may occur at any point during the GEMS year.

But, if you are able to complete all 3 conditions, then it becomes a personal decision whether you want to stay at g'town or not. In my opinion, it makes sense to stay because the classes that you take as a GEMS will be counted, and you will not have to take them again the following year. Which makes your M1 year a whole lot easier since you have fewer classes to study for.

There have only been a few students who decided to go to other schools after doing GEMS, and that decision is usually based on being closer to family, rather than not liking G'town.

-----
Your other question:

You reapply to med school right before you start GEMS, so in the Summertime. Then, during GEMS, everytime you get a new grade from a class, you submit a new transcript to all of the schools that you applied to so that they can see your progress. However, that is YOUR OWN responsibility. GEMS doesnt send them out for you.

Persistence101 said:
:laugh:

Do GEMS students have to complete the secondary application and re-submit LORS? Thanks.

Well, im guessing your question is more about if you apply to G'town as apposed to other schools.

Its a good idea to apply to a couple other schools when you reapply thru AMCAS. Why? well...if you dont make it through GEMS, then you need to have a back up school, cuz g'town wont take you. Also, its always more fun to have more schools to choose from. What if you find out gtown is not the school for you -- with other options you can decide where you go, and not be 'forced' to go to gtown.

Now im not saying apply to 20 schools like you did last year! I only applied to 5 schools this year, even though i was pretty sure i would go to gtown if i got in. My 5 is a significant reduction from the # last year.

Now back to your question:
YES
haha...yea now that i think about it, you have to fill out the secondary and get LORS for all of the schools that you apply to. Even if you just apply to gtown, you still have to fill out the secondary, and send in LORS. So...start to think about the answer to the essay questions.

why gtown? AND
how will gtown prepare you as a physician?

PS...the application fee is waived for gtown if you do GEMS.

PSS...WHEN YOU DESIGNATE THE SCHOOLS ON YOUR AMCAS.........DON'T INCLUDE GTOWN
there is a special way to apply to gtown so that the fee is waived....they will tell you about it on your first day of GEMS....so just take my word for it!

How is our performance determined in courses with S/U grading (i.e., selected topics in physiology and biochemistry)? Is it through quizzes, active participation, papers, etc.? Thanks.

draino15 said:
Of course all 3 of those conditions must be met, and its NO GUARANTEE that you will complete the program, be granted an interview, OR be accepted. There has not been a year [that i am aware of] where at least one person who begins the program in July, has not had a problem with at least ONE of those 3 conditions, which as you can tell -- may occur at any point during the GEMS year.

If we get through the program and do well, is there a good chance we'll be given an interview?

is gems like a post-bacc program that if you do well in you can continue on to ms1?? do you take some ms1 classes in the gems year, ie, during real ms1, if you get in, you have to take less classes?? (i think finch has something like this)

Persistence101 said:
How is our performance determined in courses with S/U grading (i.e., selected topics in physiology and biochemistry)? Is it through quizzes, active participation, papers, etc.? Thanks.

dunno. i have yet to see a grade for those classes on my transcript. I havent checked since school ended, but last time i checked even the ones from first semester were absent.

Oh....and let me clarify what those are. Those classes are like Small group sessions with Dr. Myers for physiology and Dr. Davidson for biochemistry. Everything GEMS related is mandatory, as are the quizzes and your participation. So i guess everyone gets a S for those "classes".

But again, i never saw them on my transcript. They arent really "classes". Just some administrative credits to make us full-time students.

so the only real classes you need to worry about are the ones with EXAMS...ie...biochem, physiology, endocrine, and embryology.
and there is another class..."Issues in Healthcare" where you have to give a 2hour presentation on a healthcare topic to the GEMS, that class counts too.

No papers though!!!!!
[always a plus]

Persistence101 said:
If we get through the program and do well, is there a good chance we'll be given an interview?

YUP!!!!!!
automatic!!!

but if they tell you that you need to BEAT the med school average on your exam, then make sure that you BEAT THE MED SCHOOL AVERAGE. For embryology you only have one test, and the average WILL be around an 82% so on your ONE exam you have to beat that 82 or your mailbox will be visited by a pink sheet of paper which im sure you never want to ever see.

they have no problems with asking you to leave the program if your grades arent where they should be.

Physiology is the class that really determines whether or not you get an interview. You dont want to mess that class up. So BEAT the average.

They will keep reminding you of the contract you signed which says you will BEAT the med school average for every class you take or "risk" being excused from the program. [i put 'risk' in quotes becuz they dont kick you out right away like that, they are more lenient, but still don't take it lightly] Like i said before, i dont know of any year where someone isnt asked to leave. it makes you sad cuz you hate to start the program together, and not end together.

They are saving seats for ALL of the GEMS for the next years class, so your seat is just sitting there waiting for you. Don't let them take it away from you. GEMS is the "unofficial" way that gtown gets its URMs, so they want you to do well so they will have a diverse class the folowing year. But they dont want to keep you around if you cant handle the work, so work hard, and not only will you get an interview, but you will be in med school next year.

Disclaimer: The second to last statement above is not a Georgetown School of Medicine approved comment.
So i dont wanna hear anyone tryin to make me explain myself....hahaha :oops:

docmemi said:
is gems like a post-bacc program that if you do well in you can continue on to ms1?? do you take some ms1 classes in the gems year, ie, during real ms1, if you get in, you have to take less classes?? (i think finch has something like this)

Right on the nose.

Gtown has 2 major (although there are others) programs which serve this same kind of purpose:

1.) Special Masters in Physiology (SMP)
2.) GEMS

draino,
How many of y'all made it this year?

How many got interviews?
How many of those who got interviews got in?
For those who did not get in, why not?
Did anyone meet the requirements of the program (grades, etc) and STILL not make it?

draino15 said:
GEMS is the "unofficial" way that gtown gets its URMs, so they want you to do well so they will have a diverse class the folowing year.

I'd just like to OVERemphasize that over the past few yeasr it seems that over 90& of G'town Med URM's came from GEMS.

Jamaican MD said:
draino,
How many of y'all made it this year?

How many got interviews?
How many of those who got interviews got in?
For those who did not get in, why not?
Did anyone meet the requirements of the program (grades, etc) and STILL not make it?

-All of us (18 of the orig. 20)
-All of us (18 of the orig. 20)
-N/A
-nope

pathdr2b said:
I'd just like to OVERemphasize that over the past few yeasr it seems that over 90% of G'town Med URM's came from GEMS.

and u know i agree with you....but thats not a very PC statement to make....however, its COMPLETELY tru.

hey, congrats draino !...glad to see you made it thru......good luck !

m
( former GEMS black sheep :D )

divinemsm said:
hey, congrats draino !...glad to see you made it thru......good luck !

m
( former GEMS black sheep :D )

Hey divinemsm,

Did you decide not to attend Georgetown? How many GEMS students your year didn't make it into Georgetown and the reasons why. Thanks.

draino15 said:
and u know i agree with you....but thats not a very PC statement to make....however, its COMPLETELY tru.

:confused:

Not sure what being PC has to do with my statement?

Persistence101 said:
Hey divinemsm,

Did you decide not to attend Georgetown? How many GEMS students your year didn't make it into Georgetown and the reasons why. Thanks.

Oh....i didnt decide to not attend georgetown.....they decided for me......here's what happened:the first exam is embryology, in which there is only that one exam.....the med school mean was 82, i had an 80....they told me i was in danger of losing my slot......don't mess up.....biochem avg for GEMS students was 76 or so...i had a 74......told me i failed the class and said i had to go....a good friend of mine ( in the same boat, from the biochem standpoint ) got to stay. Anyway, the point is, I was kicked out, and I can speculate on the reasons for me personally, but fact is, when it came down to it, i didnt meet the " standards" of their loosely worded contract. I think there were 21 people in my class when we began , 4 were kicked out for the following reasons:
1. Me: see above
2. Almost failed embryo ( another person)
3. Low passed Physiology ( yet another)
4. Got to interview stage, but not offered admission( no idea why)

Luckily, I applied to other schools ( I am now a second year at Meharry....woo hoo! ) , but the other three were not so lucky. My advice?
( not that you asked , of course)

BEAT the mean always in GEMS

Have NO academic difficulties once in the med school..you might very well be repeating the whole year if you are a minority for " low passing " a class..mind you, the means at Georgetown range from mid-80's to low 90's.....often times " 80% " is " bad "

Play the " happy minority role" outwardly at ALL times...they like that , and it will bode well for you down the line( i was never good at that)

Get ready to pay 37,000 for tuition alone while living in the DC area....hope you are rich or have good credit for those private loan applications you will need

Please apply to other schools just so you will have other options....you never know if you may need them

Good Luck !

m

divinemsm said:
Oh....i didnt decide to not attend georgetown.....they decided for me......here's what happened:the first exam is embryology, in which there is only that one exam.....the med school mean was 82, i had an 80....they told me i was in danger of losing my slot......don't mess up.....biochem avg for GEMS students was 76 or so...i had a 74......told me i failed the class and said i had to go....a good friend of mine ( in the same boat, from the biochem standpoint ) got to stay. Anyway, the point is, I was kicked out, and I can speculate on the reasons for me personally, but fact is, when it came down to it, i didnt meet the " standards" of their loosely worded contract. I think there were 21 people in my class when we began , 4 were kicked out for the following reasons:
1. Me: see above
2. Almost failed embryo ( another person)
3. Low passed Physiology ( yet another)
4. Got to interview stage, but not offered admission( no idea why)

Luckily, I applied to other schools ( I am now a second year at Meharry....woo hoo! ) , but the other three were not so lucky. My advice?
( not that you asked , of course)

Have NO academic difficulties once in the med school..you might very well be repeating the whole year if you are a minority for " low passing " a class..mind you, the means at Georgetown range from mid-80's to low 90's.....often times " 80% " is " bad "

Play the " happy minority role" outwardly at ALL times...they like that , and it will bode well for you down the line( i was never good at that)

Get ready to pay 37,000 for tuition alone while living in the DC area....hope you are rich or have good credit for those private loan applications you will need

Please apply to other schools just so you will have other options....you never know if you may need them

Good Luck !

m

Thanks for the reply. What year did you do the GEMS program? What do you mean by play the "happy minority role" (i.e., act happy at all times??) ? Thanks

2002-2003......i'm laughing to myself now, 'cause i have visions of the georgetown people/powers that be seeing my posts on this forum, and being like " that !##@ m ! "but i digress.......by happy minority i mean show NO signs of " militance", have NO opinion on the methods of education in the GEMS program, have NO signs of " black attitude", preferably, be as docile as possible, and express nothing of yourself and your individuality:Think im joking? I am NOT. People at the top of their class have had problems, and there is at LEAST one GEMS per year in the med school who has to repeat , be it 2nd, or3rd year ( unheard of anywhere else)You can PM me if you want specifics. It's probably quite obvious at this point to those people at G'town who I am .

m

divinemsm said:
2002-2003......i'm laughing to myself now, 'cause i have visions of the georgetown people/powers that be seeing my posts on this forum, and being like " that !##@ m ! "but i digress.......by happy minority i mean show NO signs of " militance", have NO opinion on the methods of education in the GEMS program, have NO signs of " black attitude", preferably, be as docile as possible, and express nothing of yourself and your individuality:Think im joking? I am NOT. People at the top of their class have had problems, and there is at LEAST one GEMS per year in the med school who has to repeat , be it 2nd, or3rd year ( unheard of anywhere else)You can PM me if you want specifics. It's probably quite obvious at this point to those people at G'town who I am .

m

Thanks for the honesty. :thumbup:

divinemsm said:

See this bothers me. On interview day, one of the MS1 students said he was a repeat first year. When he first said it, I thought he was joking. Then he said it again during another part of the convo.

Is that policy for ALL students (regardles of race) that if s/he low passes, s/he must repeat first year? If not, that's not right. . .

I would assume that with any post-bacc program, the administration is going to be watching you VERY closely throughout the med school years, since youdidn't get in through the "regular" route.

Jamaican MD said:
I would assume that with any post-bacc program, the administration is going to be watching you VERY closely throughout the med school years, since we didn't get in through the "regular" route.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't function too well under this kind of stress. It reminds me of how at Carolina, if you're a minority and you decelerate or take your 1st year in 2, you're "labelled" in the same way.

Sounds like the KEY is just to blow out the MCAT in the first place and make things "easier" for youself.

pathdr2b said:
I don't know about you guys, but I don't function too well under this kind of stress. It reminds me of how at Carolina, if you're a minority and you decelerate or take your 1st year in 2, you're "labelled" in the same way.

Sounds like the KEY is just to blow out the MCAT in the first place and make things "easier" for youself.

Yep, path, I definitely don't like this kind of stress.

But if all else fails and one HAS to do a pb program, just strive to exceed every expectation.

Jamaican MD said:
See this bothers me. On interview day, one of the MS1 students said he was a repeat first year. When he first said it, I thought he was joking. Then he said it again during another part of the convo.

Is that policy for ALL students (regardles of race) that if s/he low passes, s/he must repeat first year? If not, that's not right. . .

I would assume that with any post-bacc program, the administration is going to be watching you VERY closely throughout the med school years, since youdidn't get in through the "regular" route.

....hey JamaicanMD!...how are ya ? Please believe your concerns are real....make no mistake about it. If you do end up in GEMS, DONT be like me , and not take seriously what people in the years ahead of you say. I lost a year unneccessarily because of it ( was accepted to Meharry the same year as GEMS , but foolishly chose " Georgetown" for the " name "....having to reapply to medical school . EVERY year, 1st, 2nd, and THIRD ( which is OUTRAGEOUS..because at this point, it is supposed to be no problem,as you have passed the hurdle of USMLE step 1 ) there is a former GEMS
( sometimes more than one ):

1. repeating the WHOLE year

2. May or may not be paying tuition again BUT they will be borrowing MORE money to cover the additional living expenses of the extra year

3. The maximum amount of Stafford ( govt ) money one can borrow is 38,500
( not sure if that will extend for a fifth year or not, but I'm SAYIN......Med school tuition is 37 K !!!!!!...you do the math)How many of us have money like that ? Your debt burden will be HUGE and accruing INTEREST

Like I said, whether or not GEMS/former GEMS are forthcoming about what is going on at Georgetown, HAVE NO ACADEMIC PROBLEMS EVER. It then becomes an issue of " ya know....he/she is a FORMER GEMS"....at G'town you are alloted two chances , in essence, to " mess up " .....though it is unspoken, but, not perhaps unwritten, GEMS is the first chance. Hear me on this for real.They are looking for a reason to detain you/ defer your goals. SO ....keep up with 80-85 above in EVERY CLASS, and you are smooth sailing....right ?No worries....

Jamaican MD said:
But if all else fails and one HAS to do a pb program, just strive to exceed every expectation

Yeah, in life you have to "pick" your battles. But the fact is that 80-85% doesn't seem to realistic a goal for a person with familial responsibilites not that it can't be done. It just seems to me that folks with families are just happy to "C" their way out of med school. You know that old saying C = MD :thumbup:

divinemsm said:
.... EVERY year, 1st, 2nd, and THIRD ( which is OUTRAGEOUS..because at this point, it is supposed to be no problem,as you have passed the hurdle of USMLE step 1 ) there is a former GEMS
( sometimes more than one ):

1. repeating the WHOLE year

Hey divinemsm. I need some clarification on this point: Are you sayin that one can go thru GEMS, succesfully complete the prog, and in their 3rd yr of med school get a LP in a course and have to repeat an entire yr? :eek:

We've received our summer reading packet. GEMS has unofficially started for us. :D Call me crazy, but the topics look pretty interesting, especially the clinically related stuff (I looked ahead at future chapters in the book). It sure beats having to learn minute details of Shh and Hox genes in developmental bio. :p

Draino, what other resources/books do you suggest us buying/using to supplement with the reading? What other resources did you find helpful? Also, do you have any tips on what we can do to improve our presentation and conceptualization skills? Thanks.

BTW, I've been reading about GOcards on the Georgetown site and it states we should send in passport photos once we receive our net ID. Should we take care of this now?

Persistence101 said:
We've received our summer reading packet. GEMS has unofficially started for us. :D Call me crazy, but the topics look pretty interesting, especially the clinically related stuff (I looked ahead at future chapters in the book). It sure beats having to learn minute details of Shh and Hox genes in developmental bio. :p

Draino, what other resources/books do you suggest us buying/using to supplement with the reading? What other resources did you find helpful? Also, do you have any tips on what we can do to improve our presentation and conceptualization skills? Thanks.

BTW, I've been reading about GOcards on the Georgetown site and it states we should send in passport photos once we receive our net ID. Should we take care of this now?

Well I would say NOT to buy any books or other resources until you meet your Big Sib. They will probably give you most if not all of the resources that they have for free. So why waste the money now. During "boot camp" you will only need to use the stuff Dave gives you. Or you can check things out from the library. But definitely dont buy anything now.

Shh and Hox are all over Embryology, so dont forget them just yet. And you'd be surprised the amount of minucia that you will be "forced" to learn during GEMS.....haha....oh the memories.

As far as presentations......after you finish a couple pages in the packet. Try writing a detailed presentation on it from memory. Using pictures, bullet points, etc. Thats what Dave will have you doing anyway each and every day. So might as well get good at it before you start.

We got our GOcards on the first day of GEMS. So unless you get a letter from gtown telling you to send in a passport photo....just wait till then. It doesnt take them long to make, and its not like you can use it till you get here anyway...so its no rush.

:D

draino15 said:
Well I would say NOT to buy any books or other resources until you meet your Big Sib. They will probably give you most if not all of the resources that they have for free. So why waste the money now. During "boot camp" you will only need to use the stuff Dave gives you. Or you can check things out from the library. But definitely dont buy anything now.

:D

Oh great, I wasted 40 bucks on an embryo book. :( Anyone wanna buy it off me? j/k :D

Jamaican MD said:
Persistence, you're just ahead of the curve ;)

I've read the 1st chapter so far, and it's pretty interesting. I'm just not sure how much of the historical stuff we'll need to know (i.e. how the Egyptians thought conception occurred).

So Jamaican MD, have you decided on G'town?

Bumping to see how the program is going for you guys this year. . .

how is the program going?