Gen Chem and Orgo Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my question, do you have to remember a lot of things from the 2 semesters of gen chem for you to succeed in orgo chem? Or what I should ask is what topics are most useful for orgo chem?

I am doing well in gen chem, got an A in chem 1, and chem 2 isn't that bad either but for me I just want to know how much of what you learn in gen chem applies to orgo chem?

Members don't see this ad.

Familiarize yourself with acid-bases. Knowing some orbitals will also help learning the concepts of organic chemistry. Also familiarize yourself with resonance. Imo, knowing the concept of acid-bases will help you with reactions and knowing resonance will familiarize you to electron pushing arrows and stability of reactants. There won't be a lot of "numbers" in organic chemistry or formulas to memorize.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with acid-bases. Also molecular orbital and VESPR type stuff will be good to know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All I've used from Gen chm in orgo so far is endo/exo reactions, delta G and Ea.

Familiarize yourself with acid-bases. Knowing some orbitals will also help learning the concepts of organic chemistry. Also familiarize yourself with resonance. Imo, knowing the concept of acid-bases will help you with reactions and knowing resonance will familiarize you to electron pushing arrows and stability of reactants. There won't be a lot of "numbers" in organic chemistry or formulas to memorize.
I agree with acid-bases. Also molecular orbital and VESPR type stuff will be good to know.

n=1 but i'll argue the opposite. I learned way more about VSEPR, resonance and acid/base trends in my ochem class that proved to be useful in gen chem (well it was pchem, but similar enough). My point is, I don't think OP really needs a gen chem background to do well in ochem. All the necessary stuff is covered in the introductory chapters, stereochemistry, projections etc. in a solid ochem textbook or that Second Look book

of course a basic knowledge of chemistry ( which you would naturally have anyway after completeing gen chem 1 and 2) is needed to do well in O-Chem. But you don't need to remember any of the specifics details covered in your gen chem courses.

Last edited:
n=1 but i'll argue the opposite. I learned way more about VSEPR, resonance and acid/base trends in my ochem class that proved to be useful in gen chem (well it was pchem, but similar enough). My point is, I don't think OP really needs a gen chem background to do well in ochem. All the necessary stuff is covered in the introductory chapters, stereochemistry, projections etc. in a solid ochem textbook or that Second Look book
That is true. However having exposure to the concepts i mentioned in gen chem 2 will help grasping the topic much much easier. OP, gen chem and organic chemistry are vastly different but knowledge of gen chem 2 will help the transition from gen chem to orgo much easier.

That is true. However having exposure to the concepts i mentioned in gen chem 2 will help grasping the topic much much easier. OP, gen chem and organic chemistry are vastly different but knowledge of gen chem 2 will help the transition from gen chem to orgo much easier.

Agreed. I think I'm in a rare exception since my ochem prof in arguably the most difficult course in the sequence required me to explain why certain reactions occurred, describe the actual mechanism, rank compounds according to reactivity based on acidity/basicity etc. That was a nightmare, but it seemed more like gen chem if anything

Know the basics as the people above said. Otherwise, ochem is a completely different topic on it's own. One thing I noticed is that I had to tweak my study habits for ochem. Since the class moves so quickly, I tried to become more efficient in studying and tried to achieve a goal from that study session--try to look into your studying habits and find any improvements you can make.

Alright, thanks guys! I definitely need to brush up on VSEPR, and all the orbitals and the shapes and stuff. It sucks if reaction rates and mechanisms are also in orgo chem because we just started doing that stuff and I hate it lol.

Get your hands on a copy of Organic Chemistry as a Second Language and read the first few chapters before classes start. You could get through one chapter of that book in one or two nights easily and you'd probably already be set for your first exam.

RESONANCE!!! It explains lots of mechanisms and reasoning behind products. I'll also second knowing your molecular geometry, VSPER, molecular orbital theory, and acid-base characteristics.

Resonance by far though... CARBOCATION REARRANGEMENTS!

Reactions: 2 users
Get your hands on a copy of Organic Chemistry as a Second Language and read the first few chapters before classes start. You could get through one chapter of that book in one or two nights easily and you'd probably already be set for your first exam.

This. It's all you need.

Orgo is nothing but reactions and their mechanisms. Their rate laws aren't really important until the MCAT. But you should get good with rate law probs b they are high yield on the MCAT and guaranteed undergrad tests Qs. And they are usually worth quite a few points so try and nail them.

Gen chem 2 is basically an intro to analytical chem. I had a lot more math and formulas in my second semester. The most important parts of gen chem are: different types of bonds (ionic, covalent, polar covalent) and their relative strengths;

Nomenclature: not huge in gen chem, but pay attention bc it makes goo nomenclature easier

Trends of phys/chem props (solubility, melting, and boiling points);

reaction types, like acid base, and their rxn profiles (will make understanding SN1/2 mechanisms easier);

Certain fundamental formulas, like density are never going to go away

And I cannot emphasize enough how important inductive effects and resonance are for organic and the MCAT

Do all of the practice probs twice before the test and make sure you understand how to work through all of the mechs and you're good. Best of luck!

Orgo is nothing but reactions and their mechanisms. Their rate laws aren't really important until the MCAT. But you should get good with rate law probs b they are high yield on the MCAT and guaranteed undergrad tests Qs. And they are usually worth quite a few points so try and nail them.

Gen chem 2 is basically an intro to analytical chem. I had a lot more math and formulas in my second semester. The most important parts of gen chem are: different types of bonds (ionic, covalent, polar covalent) and their relative strengths;

Nomenclature: not huge in gen chem, but pay attention bc it makes goo nomenclature easier

Trends of phys/chem props (solubility, melting, and boiling points);

reaction types, like acid base, and their rxn profiles (will make understanding SN1/2 mechanisms easier);

Certain fundamental formulas, like density are never going to go away

And I cannot emphasize enough how important inductive effects and resonance are for organic and the MCAT

Do all of the practice probs twice before the test and make sure you understand how to work through all of the mechs and you're good. Best of luck!
I must be taking totally different mcat and classes than you. Lol.

It's really difficult to give you an exact answer b/c the rigor of and the material covered in o-chem differs school by school (not to say that one school is better than another, I am not trying to start a "who's-orgo-was-better"contest :D), and professor to professor. At my school, for example, there are different orgo sequences for bio majors and for chem majors. Both, however, require you to have basic knowledge and understanding of the material from gen chem. In my (chem-majors') orgo classes, esp. orgo II, we did a lot of thermodynamics and kinetics, and the professor righteously assumed we had a basic understanding of both concepts. They will also come in handy once you advance to biochem. In a nutshell, just try to understand and remember as much as you can in your gen chem classes. :)

You don't have to remember much from genchem for ochem. The first few chapters may be easier if you remember it well but you can learn what you need for ochem easily enough.

In decreasing order of importance: (for the BEGINNER ochem student!)

-Atomic theory and the periodic table (stoichiometry and balancing reactions are relevant topics)

-Lewis structures and the octet rule (resonance structures and formal charges are relevant topics)

-VSEPR theory and electron geometry (bond angles and hybridization are relevant topics)

-Electronegativity and polarity (electron affinity, ionization energy, acidity/basicity are relevant topics)

-MO theory and quantum (sigma and pi bonds, bond order, wave properties of electrons, Energy quanta and exciting an electron)

-Chemical equilibrium and(Versus) chemical kinetics

Last edited: