Gen Chem and Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im getting ready to register for my classes for the Fall. I was going to try and take Gen CHem I and Physics I (algebra based) at the same time.

I work about 50 hrs a week (cutting back on hours is not an option as I am married with a small child), so I was going to take physics in the morning before work and chem after work.

U guys think this is do-able? or should I just keep it at one course?

By the way, I am taking GEN CHEM as a retake. The first time I took it I received a 'D". Due to complications with my wifes pregnancy, she was in and out of the hospital with pre-term labor contractions. Because of this I missed one whole exam.... the prof. would not let me retake. sucks! (fortunatley my wife is okay, and we now have a beautiful baby girl).. I had an A in the class but that test affected my grade a great deal as you can see.

How do you guys think adcoms will view this.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad that your daughter is doing well and it's too bad that the professor wasn't very understanding. I would suggest that you contact the schools that interest you and ask them for advice. You might also want to look into applying DO, because if you retake gen chem and ace it the second time, they will forgive the first grade. If you go allopathic, AMCAS will not forgive the D; instead, they'll average both grades together. Good luck to you. :luck:

Chan -- congrats on putting your head down and getting back into the swing of things. As for taking two classes with a full-time workload, I don't think any of us will be able to answer that for you. I knew people during my postbac year who took one class while working full time, some who took full loads without working at all, and people in between. I didn't know anyone who took two classes with a 50-hour work week, but I'm not saying that it can't be done. If you honestly think you can handle the extra workload on top of your work schedule and your family responsibilities, then you should go ahead with your plan. If you have serious doubts, then I would not want to spend my tuition money on something so risky.

I will say this: Each of my classes took up a good amount of studying time at home. You're shooting for As in every class, and you don't ever want to fall behind or be put in a situation where you have to settle for less than an excellent grade. If you can't stay on top and ahead for the whole semester, maybe you should scale back your plans.

chan said:
Hey guys, Im getting ready to register for my classes for the Fall. I was going to try and take Gen CHem I and Physics I (algebra based) at the same time.

I work about 50 hrs a week (cutting back on hours is not an option as I am married with a small child), so I was going to take physics in the morning before work and chem after work.

U guys think this is do-able? or should I just keep it at one course?

By the way, I am taking GEN CHEM as a retake. The first time I took it I received a 'D". Due to complications with my wifes pregnancy, she was in and out of the hospital with pre-term labor contractions. Because of this I missed one whole exam.... the prof. would not let me retake. sucks! (fortunatley my wife is okay, and we now have a beautiful baby girl).. I had an A in the class but that test affected my grade a great deal as you can see.

How do you guys think adcoms will view this.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there,
If you missed a whole exam and still wound up with a D, you were doing pretty well to begin with in General Chemistry. You may be able to get both of these classes done but what is your hurry? One year later if it means that you have good grades, is not going to make much difference in the long run. If you are working 50 hours a week, you really have a more than a full-load on your plate. If you are overloaded, or if you get sick from all of the stress and you wind up not doing well in either class, you could be putting your dream out of reach. Think long and hard about committing yourself to this much coursework and employment. Will you have ANY time to spend with your wife and child? I am sure that they would love to see you once in a while.

Physics can take lots of time especially because there are loads of problems to be solved. Chemistry is also about problem-solving. I would caution you about taking more than one course at a time even if you are doing a repeat. It would be much better for your psyche, your family and your body, to do the repeat in General Chemistry, get an A and then take General Physics with that success behind you.

njbmd :)