Gen Chem II.... better getting B or W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blkmamba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the B. The W isn't such a big deal, but why repeat the course? A B is a fine grade. A 3.4 is a very competitive GPA and don't forget, you still have other classes to take, and you will likely improve as you seem really motivated.

Sounds like kind of a non-issue to me. One or two Ws won't hurt you (I had probably 6 or 7), and your GPA isn't bad. For myself, I'd rather take the B and not let it screw up my scheduling, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not 100% up on what it takes to get into CA schools. How big a drop are we talking in GPA from what an A would put you at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the B and move on with your life. If you don't, you'll have to pay for the class again and it will potentially mess up your scheduling. One B never killed anybody...yet. :smuggrin:

Overall will drop .1... I've taken 45 semester units counting this class and this is a 5 unit class so it hurts :(

I want to go to UCSD or USC for pharm school and looking at the avg GPA.... its about a 3.7...

A withdrawal is going to hurt more in the long run. You will still have time to bring your GPA up now but explaining a withdrawal later on to a school will be lingering until after an interview.

Concur with the above comments.

Besides, if you are asked about getting a W (Given that this is your second W, so you're establishing a poor trend after only 1 year of college), what are you going to say? "I was worried about getting a B in the class, so I decided to drop it."

Furthermore, what are you going to do if you perform poorly on an exam in another pre-req ... or Even worse, when you're in Pharmacy school? Withdraw from yet another class? Chances are that you won't be able to drop a class during your program, so you won't be able to drop a class.

At some point, you have to stop allowing yourself to think about withdrawing from classes because your grades aren't what you want them to be and put in the effort before the exam to get the grades that you want.

Take the B and ace your organics. You should be fine.

Take the B.

Taking a summer session right now for Gen Chem II at a California Community College and bombed the first test.... my chances for an A are pretty slim.... I can get a B for sure though.... should I take the W?

I got an A in Gen Chem I. How bad will the W look? Will be my first W for a major course but 2nd W overall. Entering my sophmore year of community college. Will be applying to UCLA and USC in the fall and GPA will be a 3.7 overall if I get the B. Major GPA will be a 3.4 though after the B. I want to go to a CA pharm school afterwards...

Are you seriously stressing about a B in chem II with a 3.4/3.7?

Unbelievable...

When I look at the back side of my official transcripts, I see the following legend:

A: Excellent, B: Good, C: Average, D: Inferior/Poor, F: Failing

Translation: A "B" is a good grade; it will not hurt you

As a side note, my transcripts are a few years old, so I don't know whether the mentioned legend is still printed on transcripts...but the grade meanings are the same. In the time I have been out of school I have stayed around in the academic environment. In that capacity, I have had no dealings with pharmacy adcoms whatsoever. But, I do know many other professors who place more of a stigma on a W than a B or C. Many (especially the older ones) think that students would not be dropping a class if they had a good grade ("B" = Good) in it, so a W must mean the opposite. IMO, the bottom line is drop a class if you have to (a few W's usually won't hurt you), but don't drop if you are going to get a good grade.

W's are better used for C's and below, especially since generally it is a lot easier to go from an F, D or C to a B or an A then go from a B to an A. Basically there is too big.of chance getting a B again, one grade can bring you down there and then retaking the class becomes a waste.

Take the B and move on.

Just because you bombed the first exam doesn't mean you're bound to get a B. I'm unsure of how the grading system and percentages work in your class, but let's factor in test grades only. Let's assume there's four exams and a final.

Exam 1) 30
Exam 2) 95
Exam 3) 95
Exam 4) 95
Final Exam) 95

That average in itself is an 82 Average for tests alone. I'm sure the lab is anywhere from 15-25%

You still have a chance for an A.

Talk to your professor beforehand if you can schedule an appointment, go to all the tutoring hours you can. Master each and every single question down to a T to as much of your ability as possible. Do exceptionally well on the labs...

Also I'm unsure if your professor does curve, but if he/she does, then that too can help. If there any extra credit opportunities do them too.

The sky is the limit, look at the glass as half full. If you STUDY and LEARN the material like a maniac, the bright side is, there's still a possibility to get an A, and heck even with a B, that's still amazing, and most importantly, you'll know the INFO darn good and it'll help you on your PCAT exam.

I say go for it, don't quit, just look forward, keep your head up, and you will make an A in the class. It's not too late my friend. Peace.