Gen Chem Q?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeghanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My University only offers 1 quarter (4 credits) of General Chemistry. I know many schools require 8 semester hours. What should I do-- after Gen Chem I the next sequence is O Chem I? (sorry if this is a dumb question)

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you'll have to take it somewhere else. That's really odd, what do other premed students do?

Quarter credits transfer differently, so either take two more quarters or two semesters elsewhere

take upper div inorganic chemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
take upper div inorganic chemistry

I'm not sure they are comparable? I've taken both and inorganic is a 1 semester 300-level class while gen chem is a 2 semester 100-level class sequence (at least at my school). I would not suggest this.

OP, ask your pre-med advisor what is generally done at your school.

I'm not sure they are comparable? I've taken both and inorganic is a 1 semester 300-level class while gen chem is a 2 semester 100-level class sequence (at least at my school). I would not suggest this.

OP, ask your pre-med advisor what is generally done at your school.

That depends on the school, I suppose. Upper div inorganic chem here is a 1 year series (3 quarters)

Reactions: 1 user
I started out as an engineering major, and at my school they had only an accelerated 1 semester course for engineers. When I became premed they wouldn't allow me to take the second semester of the chemistry that non-engineers took. My only option was to take an upper level chem class, so I took quantitative analysis. It was unfortunate but it worked out fine to meet requirements at all schools I applied to.

You can take upper div Chemistry, but if you can take the lower level elsewhere, why not? It'll probably be easier and hopefully a GPA bosster.

You need a year of non-organic chemistry for med schools, so if your school only offers a quarter of general chemistry, you should take inorganic chemistry (you COULD take Physical/Analytical chemistry too but I doubt you'd want to do that LOL).