Gen Chem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m617911622

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So

Boiling pt can be determine by its inter molecular force, the stronger the force, the higher the boiling pt, the lower the melting pt. Is it right ?

And the lower the vapor pressure, the higher the boiling pt, and the lower the melting pt?

Thank s.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) Intermolecular forces are the same for boiling point and melting point. So higher IMF = higher boiling point and melting point.

2.) Lower vapor pressure = a higher boiling point and melting point

____
Edit: That's at least what I think and I'm by no means a genius. The only time I know there's an inverse relationship between melting and boiling is when you mix to substances - the boiling point will increase and the melting point will decrease.

Also, trans carbons have a higher melting point whereas cis carbons have a higher boiling point.

1.) Intermolecular forces are the same for boiling point and melting point. So higher IMF = higher boiling point and melting point.

2.) Lower vapor pressure = a higher boiling point and melting point

____
Edit: That's at least what I think and I'm by no means a genius. The only time I know there's an inverse relationship between melting and boiling is when you mix to substances - the boiling point will increase and the melting point will decrease.

Also, trans carbons have a higher melting point whereas cis carbons have a higher boiling point.
Thanks ss

So

Boiling pt can be determine by its inter molecular force, the stronger the force, the higher the boiling pt, the lower the melting pt. Is it right ?

And the lower the vapor pressure, the higher the boiling pt, and the lower the melting pt?

Thank s.
Please keep in mind of the common tricky question on this since this same topic crosses over into Orgo also :) .... Branching lowers boiling point BUT branching increase melting point

Reactions: 1 user