Gen peds job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue.jay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My spouse is starting third year of residency. I heard many places are not hiring because of covid19. Realistically what are the chances of having an out-patient gen peds job lined up when she graduates in june 2021? Most likely covid situation would be controlled by that time, if the hiring freeze lasts longer should we consider fellowship options like nicu ?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know the job opportunities but the timing could be stressful here because to enter a nicu fellowship your spouse would have to be applying basically right now. Would she be ready to throw an application together with just a few week’s notice?

I don’t know the job opportunities but the timing could be stressful here because to enter a nicu fellowship your spouse would have to be applying basically right now. Would she be ready to throw an application together with just a few week’s notice?

Her program has in-house fellowship, she worked closely with faculty and they all like her; they are willing to take her pre-match if shes is interested. Over the lst 5 years her program as gone unfilled, its not a top nicu program/children's hospital. I think she can talk to her PD before November and still have a chance of securing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
5 years going unfilled? doesn't that raise some huge red flags in her mind?

It is not a malignant place to train. There is a huge academic stand alone children's hospital 5 miles away; probably why its overlooked by applicants. She would probably match there if she applies.

Good for her! I’m hopeful for myself at least that the job market will improve by next year. I think it might come down more to whether she wants to do nicu or not. Doing nicu fellowship just because the gen peds job market is temporarily in a lull doesn’t seem like the best reason.

Reactions: 1 user
My spouse is starting third year of residency. I heard many places are not hiring because of covid19. Realistically what are the chances of having an out-patient gen peds job lined up when she graduates in june 2021? Most likely covid situation would be controlled by that time, if the hiring freeze lasts longer should we consider fellowship options like nicu ?
Depends on the location but there are still Gen Peds jobs out there, might be with a slightly lower pay

Someone posted in another thread that her husband got into a 0.8 Gen Peds position with a PP group in NorCal for $240k which is in line with MGMA's median. A cousin of mine got into a Peds hospitalist position in upstate NY for $230k (7 off 7 on)

If fellowship isn't a possibility, I'd say look into rural gigs

Update:

She has 2 job offers that are very different.

1st one in Arizona (pop 50,000) has a 15k sign on bonus and guaranteed salary of 185k for 2yrs, then production based on top of a base 150k. The median wRVU is 44$ and the expected 50th percentile pay is 232k. We have family in AZ and she likes this job as it's M-F clinic hours and near a good school district suburb. There is no call or newborn nursery. CME 4000$ for 5 days a year. Retirement 4% Match after 1 year. 4 week vacation.

The second offer is in Wisconsin. Their pay is straight up 235k with no mention of RVU or production but she is on 1:4 call with nursery rounding. This is in a rural area (pop 10,000) where we don't see ourself living for more than 3years. She is also not thrilled about being on call every 4th day. Similar benefits and CME. Retiremenr is 3% match. Vacation is 4 weeks.
Income tax in Wisconsin is also higher than Arizona.

The straight salary 235k in Wisconsin seems good but we don't know if that can decrease if she isn't productive and doest have a full patient panel.

My question is how common are calls in general pediatrician jobs? Is it sustainable ? Is there better income potential by increasing your patient panel seeing deliveries ? Any differences AZ vs WI I've heard new articles saying WI is the best paying state for pediatricians.

Update:

She has 2 job offers that are very different.

1st one in Arizona (pop 50,000) has a 15k sign on bonus and guaranteed salary of 185k for 2yrs, then production based on top of a base 150k. The median wRVU is 44$ and the expected 50th percentile pay is 232k. We have family in AZ and she likes this job as it's M-F clinic hours and near a good school district suburb. There is no call or newborn nursery. CME 4000$ for 5 days a year. Retirement 4% Match after 1 year. 4 week vacation.

The second offer is in Wisconsin. Their pay is straight up 235k with no mention of RVU or production but she is on 1:4 call with nursery rounding. This is in a rural area (pop 10,000) where we don't see ourself living for more than 3years. She is also not thrilled about being on call every 4th day. Similar benefits and CME. Retiremenr is 3% match. Vacation is 4 weeks.
Income tax in Wisconsin is also higher than Arizona.

The straight salary 235k in Wisconsin seems good but we don't know if that can decrease if she isn't productive and doest have a full patient panel.

My question is how common are calls in general pediatrician jobs? Is it sustainable ? Is there better income potential by increasing your patient panel seeing deliveries ? Any differences AZ vs WI I've heard new articles saying WI is the best paying state for pediatricians.
Are either of these PP and any possibility to be made a partner 2-3 years down the lane?

I personally would opt for AZ despite WI's higher base. I've visited WI quite a few times, mostly the places in & around Milwaukee and I wouldn't live there even for the 75th percentile, there's literally nothing to do...midwest is pretty flat and boring for my taste, 4+ months of cold harsh winters and isn't much scenic either except for the fall colors which you'd be bored out within 2 hrs. Her family being in AZ is another added advantage and AZ has tons of outdoor stuff to do. If it's anywhere closer to Phoenix or even Tucson, y'all could drive down to the beaches of SoCal or even Vegas under 6hrs

MGMA's median for Gen Peds is almost the same for Midwest and Western

I’d prob go with Arizona. It’s sounds more like her ideal job. If the 50% is 232k then you shouldn’t have a hard time reaching that once she has a full panel.

IMG_20200819_120958.jpg

IMG_20200819_120939.jpg

Is this offer pretty typical ? I don't understand the RVU structure and tiers in this model