GenChem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDeac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the quantum numbers for the highest energy electron in Flourine?

So F is 1s2 2s2 2p5

Therefore we want an electron in the 2p subshell so

n=2 , l=1 , ml = 1, ms = 1/2

I understand why n=2 and l=1, but would the electrons with ml= 0 or -1 be less energy than the electrons in ml=1? Similarly, would electrons with spin -1/2 have less energy than spin with +1/2?

Members don't see this ad.

Another question.

The activation energy for a forward reaction is 96 kJ. The activation energy for the reverse reaction is 295 kJ and the energy of the products is 34 kJ. What is the energy of the reactants?

I know the answer is 233 kJ, but is this because the energy of the products + activation energy of the forward = activation energy of reverse + energy of products?

Photo233.jpg

Setting up the RXN progress graph helps

you could also just do

dH= forward - reverse

then after finding dH use this:

dH= Eproducts - Ereactants

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the quantum numbers for the highest energy electron in Flourine?

So F is 1s2 2s2 2p5

Therefore we want an electron in the 2p subshell so

n=2 , l=1 , ml = 1, ms = 1/2

I understand why n=2 and l=1, but would the electrons with ml= 0 or -1 be less energy than the electrons in ml=1? Similarly, would electrons with spin -1/2 have less energy than spin with +1/2?

Firstly I do not know that they would have any more energy. Secondly if you are saying that they do, just a hypothesis here, maybe because there is one orbital that is going to have an unpaired electron, the Ml #1 will have it and therefore have more energy than the rest??? i dunno if that is true or even makes sense but its a theory.???

you could also just do

dH= forward - reverse

then after finding dH use this:

dH= Eproducts - Ereactants

So if you just set them equal you have

forward - reverse = Eproducts - Ereactants

then move stuff around to get

forward + Ereactants = Eproducts - reverse

Firstly I do not know that they would have any more energy. Secondly if you are saying that they do, just a hypothesis here, maybe because there is one orbital that is going to have an unpaired electron, the Ml #1 will have it and therefore have more energy than the rest??? i dunno if that is true or even makes sense but its a theory.???

Yeah I think I know what you are saying about it being the unpaired electron so I'm guessing that would be the highest energy.

So another question would be do the electrons fill completely starting with -1, then 0, then 1? (I know they put one in each for the first time around but when adding a second electron to each orbital)

Hi everybody,
I planed to get ready for dental school. So I've started to study Kaplan book, and go back to what I've took 4 years ago. I am doing the Gen Chem in Kaplan, does any of you know what kind of book can I get to do some questions after each section I read. Since it's been a long time for me I think I need to take some questions to really understand the materials in chemistry.
Thank you so much,