Gender Ratio in a Typical Audiology Class and Title Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audballer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a good weekend! So I got a campus tour around AT Still University led by a second year Au. D. student the other week, and I can't help but notice the class is predominantly female. As a matter of fact, I only saw one male student on the computer. Is this typical for an audiology class? I'm just curious.

I was referred to an audiologist in my home area by one of the ATSU professors as well. I called her and was able to get an opportunity to shadow her for a few days next week. However, I still do not know whether to address her as "Doctor" or not. She has an Au. D. and is the Director of Audiology at a speech and hearing center. Can someone please help clarify?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In short: yes. My cohort is 8 women, and it's rare to have more than one guy in a class of 8. Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology are female-dominated professions.

Also, yes, it's appropriate to call someone with an AuD, "Doctor." Hearing aid technicians with a Master's or lower should not be addressed as "Doctor," as they have not completed a doctoral program.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! So I got a campus tour around AT Still University led by a second year Au. D. student the other week, and I can't help but notice the class is predominantly female. As a matter of fact, I only saw one male student on the computer. Is this typical for an audiology class? I'm just curious.

I was referred to an audiologist in my home area by one of the ATSU professors as well. I called her and was able to get an opportunity to shadow her for a few days next week. However, I still do not know whether to address her as "Doctor" or not. She has an Au. D. and is the Director of Audiology at a speech and hearing center. Can someone please help clarify?

Thanks

In short: yes. My cohort is 8 women, and it's rare to have more than one guy in a class of 8. Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology are female-dominated professions.

Also, yes, it's appropriate to call someone with an AuD, "Doctor." Hearing aid technicians with a Master's or lower should not be addressed as "Doctor," as they have not completed a doctoral program.

That was quick. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
my class is 8 women and 1 man. the class above me is 6 women to 2 men, and the class below me is 11 women to 1 man.

My incoming cohort consists of twelve females...no males. The classes above me normally consist of twelve to thirteen people with two or three males. You will probably find a more equal gender distribution amongst PhD students either AuD or SLP.

When in doubt, ALWAYS REFER TO SOMEONE AS DOCTOR. I know, it's slightly obnoxious to be capitalizing this but you will be chewed out or looked down upon if you make the mistake of not calling someone by their correct title.

My undergrad advisor once told me a story about how a student once sent an email to a faculty member (whose name I guarantee you will find in many textbooks related to this field) as "Hey Barbara" (changed the first name). This email was not only forwarded on to my advisor but to other faculty members as well. The advisor then kindly explained the proper etiquette to this student (which was why this email was forwarded to her in the first place).

More recently, a former classmate of mine emailed a professor at one of the SLP programs she was interested in. She couldn't find "PhD" after this person's name (despite this person being a full fledged professor at this university...PhD is a requirement for this position) so she referred to this person by their first name. This classmate received an email back from this professor admonishing her for this mistake. It's one thing if you make the mistake while you are in undergrad but during the application process, where professionalism is of upmost importance, not to make this mistake.

Some audiologists have their AuD or even their PhD but many have a MA/MS. About half the audiologists (who teach as well) in the student clinic at my school, have either a MA or MS. I call them by their first name, they even prefer it, they aren't "Dr." nor do they feel like they need to be called by "Mrs." However, if you are an applicant, be safe and call them "Dr." or if you know they don't have an AuD or PhD, call them by "Mrs.". Applicants, PLEASE pay attention to how you address people when applying. It's a touchy area and will rub people the wrong way if attention isn't paid.

on that note, our department instituted a policy a few years ago and now students must address everyone by their titles in conversation and writing whether it's "Dr." or "Mr." or "Ms." The title "Mrs." does not seem to be used here. I have some theories as to why but I'll save you all the feminist rant. :)

Call her by Dr. (last name) at all times; it's respectful and professional.

on that note, our department instituted a policy a few years ago and now students must address everyone by their titles in conversation and writing whether it's "Dr." or "Mr." or "Ms." The title "Mrs." does not seem to be used here. I have some theories as to why but I'll save you all the feminist rant. :)

Haha I totally get the feminist thing :). I can't see myself as a "Mrs" ever. Always, call them by their professional title unless otherwise personally specified. However, even if a PhD holding person asks you to call them by their first name, don't, call them by "Dr.". I was at a convention and a retired chair of my department, who prefers to go by his first name and told me so. However, I still called him by "Dr.". If a current faculty member heard a student call this person by his first name, it wouldn't look good :/.

Haha I totally get the feminist thing :). I can't see myself as a "Mrs" ever. Always, call them by their professional title unless otherwise personally specified. However, even if a PhD holding person asks you to call them by their first name, don't, call them by "Dr.". I was at a convention and a retired chair of my department, who prefers to go by his first name and told me so. However, I still called him by "Dr.". If a current faculty member heard a student call this person by his first name, it wouldn't look good :/.

It bothers me when some professors prefer to be addressed on a first-name basis, because it screws up the standard!

PS. Good points regarding the gold standard for "unsure" situations.

In the class 2 above me it was 3 women, 1 man, in the class below that it was 1 man, 7 women, in my class it was 5 women, 2 men, and in the class below me it is 10 women and 2 men. So in short yes more women than men is typical.

As for the whole Dr. thing....call them Dr. I am in my 4th year now, so if an AuD asks to call them by their first name I do because we are co-workers and not teacher/student and I feel that that is more appropriate. For my professors, however, I still call them by Dr. because they still are my professors.

It bothers me when some professors prefer to be addressed on a first-name basis, because it screws up the standard!

PS. Good points regarding the gold standard for "unsure" situations.
x2.. I'm just now becoming comfortable with professors who like to be pals with their students. Calling them Dr. is the way to go unless they request otherwise multiple times.

As for the gender ratio, I'm definitely somewhat of a misfit in my program. We probably have more male students than most programs across the four classes, but most are not really like me. And I don't mean anything negative by that at all. I just don't get many sports conversations until I hang out with my friends on the weekends.

13 classmates for me when I was in school. 10 women. The reminder were that simple minded gender of which I am part of.

As far as the title is concerned I'm in agreement with what has already been said. Start off with Dr. SoandSo and change it according to what they tell you. If the correspondence is in writing, I'd continue to use the title even if they sign simply with their first name until told otherwise. Although I think too many people get caught up in the whole doctor thing nowadays - ESPECIALLY the masters degree people who got their degrees online. ALWAYS ADDRESS THEM BY TITLE IN FRONT OF PATIENTS.

I personally never use my title actually because my last name is difficult for people to both hear and understand given that I am Greek. I figure if they want to know what my degree is they can look at my diploma on the wall or ask me. Receptionists typically give titles though when making appts and the like.

-D

Just curious, do you think it helps being a boy while applying to grad schools since there is such a big discrepancy in the ratio?

The class ahead of me is 1/7 male, my class is 2/6 male and the new first years are 2/13 male. The current fourth years are 0/4 male.

To echo everyone else. Use Dr. if he/she has the Au.D. There are still plenty of audiologists still practicing with just their master's degree, I would use Mr./Ms. for them.

Are many programs growing this fast?

The class ahead of me is 1/7 male, my class is 2/6 male and the new first years are 2/13 male. The current fourth years are 0/4 male.

For us it more law of averages and the admitting policy. Typically the school admits 20, no waiting list. Then, they just wait to see how many accept. This year they held an open house in the spring to invite potential students to come visit. From what I have heard both of these were very successful and may have also contributed to the class size. I know a couple years ago they had back to back classes of 12 and 11. The incoming SLP class was also up though, from 24 to 30, so there may be some growth occurring. Memphis is a very good bargain as far as tuition goes ($4600/semester instate) so we draw strongly from TN. They also do 5 GA positions/class that cover out of state + plus half of in state + a stipend, so that is a really good deal also.

UIowa grew to 8 recently, but it's up from like 6. There is a hard-and-fast cap on cohort size because of the need to guarantee 3rd- and 4th-year placements, and adequate supervisor attention. I think the goal here is quality, not quantity.

I do know that some other programs almost doubled their size, recently. I'm not sure if this is a funding thing or simply a desire to maximize program size (perhaps in preparation for adding more faculty).

If someone has an Au.D., Ph.D., M.D., or other doctorate, then, yes, you should address that person as "Doctor." If the doctor says you can call him or her by his or her first name, feel free to do so.