1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

General Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by corey5546, Jul 28, 2015.

1. corey5546

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello all,

I am currently going into my third year of undergraduate coursework at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. My first year went well and I achieved a 3.96 GPA. However, I had a ton of medical issues my second year (which have hence resolved), but my GPA dropped to a 3.559 (I had a C in orgo 1 lecture and lab, but for orgo II I got a B- in the lecture and a C in the lab). I figured I can boost my GPA (maintaining A's in the rest of my classes from here on out, which is feasible for me) to a 3.8 by end of senior year. I am completely in love with Pitt med school and would love to get accepted there. Should I be worried about my GPA? I understand more goes into acceptance into medical school than GPA and MCAT scores but the median GPA at Pitt med was a 3.85. So far, I've been doing research since the end of my freshman year and my adviser hopes to publish by the end of my junior year. I worked at the local emergency department my Freshman year, but because of crazy hours that were incompatible with school, I've been working as a nursing assistant at another local hospital since last year. I also am currently a volunteer at my local fire department and work on their EMS unit. Is pitt med feasible? Do you think I would have decent chances? Of course, I will also apply elsewhere. Thank you in advance for your help!

**if it makes any difference, I am a biology major with two declared minors of chemistry and philosophy.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't ever obsess over any one med school. General rule of thumb. Pitt med is possible if you bring that GPA up to ~3.7.

4. ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I would kill to have 2 more full years of classes ahead of me. Don't sweat it, just bounce back!

5. corey5546

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you all!