General Bio & Organic Chemistry Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightdream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I am wondering whether worth taking General Bio and Organic Chem (both with lab) on the fall. Does it sound doable? Do both lab take usually take a lot of time from someone to finish?
I know the bottom line it is my call but advice from someone has experience with it can direct someone lost. This is the first time for me to have these classes. Therefore, I don't know if that's very heavy load. Please provide any advice from your experience.
Please DO NOT mean comments. If you have it, keep it to yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to regret it if you do this on top of all the biology classes you have to take. Then again, I did poorly in Gen Chem, so would do I know?

Also, I'm not sure how you would take both at the same time anyways. Generally, Gen Chem is a prerequisite for O Chem. The only way around that would be if you got special permission... which is probably unlikely since it sounds like you're a freshman and the professors won't really know you or anything about your chemistry background/ability.

Hi buddy,
I have finished general Chemistry already and I had 2 As and 1 B. At the same time, which I meant on the same term. For example, Principle of Bio I and Organic Chem I (both with lab). So with general chemistry would be safe to have them?

Thanks brother.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very common, almost all bio majors have taken either these classes or similar classes together with labs. So yes, it's very doable.

Totally doable. Besides, take a look at a dental school curriculum for their first semester. Omg. You'll want practice taking multiple time consuming classes at once. And plus this is Bio 1, yes? I had plenty of friends taking even harder bios at the same time they took organic. No biggie.

You can definitely do this. I graduated last May without any of the pre-reqs and wanted to complete them within one calendar year. After taking gen chem 1/2 in the summer I took bio, orgo and physics for the fall and spring semesters. Just try to focus on what you want to accomplish and you will be fine.

Hi everybody!
I am wondering whether worth taking General Bio and Organic Chem (both with lab) on the fall. Does it sound doable? Do both lab take usually take a lot of time from someone to finish?
I know the bottom line it is my call but advice from someone has experience with it can direct someone lost. This is the first time for me to have these classes. Therefore, I don't know if that's very heavy load. Please provide any advice from your experience.
Please DO NOT mean comments. If you have it, keep it to yourself.
With a resounding yes, especially if you're pursuing dental school.

General biology and ochem/orgo I is a very, very common mixture. And, in fact, some even throw in college/university physics I along with the mixture.

For me, labs in organic chemistry I was moderately long; however, labs in organic chemistry II was long and this was all because of refluxing.

Make sure you build a strong foundation in ochem/orgo I.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1024152

Good luck.:)

Hi buddy,
I have finished general Chemistry already and I had 2 As and 1 B. At the same time, which I meant on the same term. For example, Principle of Bio I and Organic Chem I (both with lab). So with general chemistry would be safe to have them?

Thanks brother.

I appreciate you not lashing out at me, as I clearly can't read! Sorry for misreading this, I thought you were going to take Gen Chem + O Chem at the same time. Thanks for showing a bit of grace, and yeah that's definitely doable.

My apologies!

Totally doable. Besides, take a look at a dental school curriculum for their first semester. Omg. You'll want practice taking multiple time consuming classes at once. And plus this is Bio 1, yes? I had plenty of friends taking even harder bios at the same time they took organic. No biggie.

Depends where you go to school. I took Ochem and molecular biology at the same time and that could've been bad if I didn't know what I was doing.

Depends where you go to school. I took Ochem and molecular biology at the same time and that could've been bad if I didn't know what I was doing.

Yes and I took physiology, physics, and organic chemistry in the same semester and did perfectly fine (at a great school). What I'm saying is that this is something future dental students need to get used to. If somebody can't handle freshman level biology and organic chemistry in the same semester then it's going to be a pretty serious wake up call in dental school. Better to learn how to manage your time now rather than later.

I'm taking bio and lab, orgo. And physics and lab all together for one quarter. Should be fine, although it will be tough