General Chem Atomic Structure Question (TPR)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rephrase the question as follows: "Which one would fight the least if you tried to rip an electron off it?"
Answer is As. Br- is in a very stable configuration (noble gas), As is not.

Yes I understand that concept, it was just intesting that in the review book up to that point the book had not covered periodic trends, and in examples dealt solely with electron energy levels being related to the filling of the subshells.

I do not think (although I could be wrong) that you could rephrase this question to the point you want to make.. if I give you an element [Ar] 4s2 3d10 and another [Ar] 4s2 3p10 4p1. The second element has a higher electron energy level although it will "fight you the least if you tried to rip an electron off it". What I'm trying to save is that electron affinity (the ability to release energy upon gaining an electron); and ionization energy (the amount of energy needed to remove an electron) are not used in the determination of a specific energy level of an electron.

Using the Bohr model we know that electrons with greater amounts of energy orbited the nucleus at greater distances. Hence increasing the principle quantum number increases the amount of energy, as does increasing the secondary quantum number. So going off of the principle that being farther away increases energy, and given the atomic radius trend that going from left to right across the periodic table we decrease the atomic radius Br would have a "lower" electron energy since it is closer to the atom than As. This is support by Br having a slightly lower atomic radius (94 v 114 calculated). Im just not sure how the interaction of having the Br anion would increase the atomic radius slightly, im just not sure by how much...

So essential I still have no idea what I'm talking about, your probably right and I just don't understand how the highest energy of an electron is related to ionization energy

Br is more electron than As in this example and therefore has the highest e- configuration.
More e-=Highest e- configuration.