General chemistery questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibo man

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please help me out on this one. I tried doing it but the I got D as the answer, while the right answer is E.

A) 5.8g of sodium chloride is added to 500g of water. The freezing point of the solution is approximately.
A. -1.9*C
B. -9*C
C. -3.8*C
D. -0.19*C
E. -0.75*C

B) An aqueous solution containing 0.5 moles of glucose has a boiling point of 100.3*C. What would be the approximate boiling point if 0.5 moles NaCl were used instead of 0.5 moles of glucose?

A. 100*C
B. 100.15*C
C. 100.3*C
D. 100.6*C
E. 100.9*C
for question B correct answer is D. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

question B tests on colligative properties. NaCl breaks into two ions, sugar is one so it essentially doubles the .3 degree increase. However the difference in the molar mass of glucose and NaCl might make you wonder, however, the gave molar amounts and not gram amounts so you actually have quite a difference in the mass of the two compounds.

In question A I am not sure how they get that answer? The equation that I would think to use is deltaT = Kmx. The molality of the soln is about .1 and the x value is 2 since NaCl breaks into two ions BUT WHERE IS K? HELP!