This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

todentornottodent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know that there are probably other threads out there where I could find the answers I'm looking for if I did some digging, but I'm looking for recent answers to just a couple questions so I'mma go ahead a create a new thread,

(1) When should I apply to HPSP (or I guess reach out to a recruiter)? I'm a current applicant in the 2022/23 cycle and have 2 interviews currently. I'm guessing the answers gonna be "right now" or "very soon" haha.

(2) Which branches offer a sign on bonus, and how much is it?

(3) Which is a better option for someone who plans on HPSP only for the minimum 4 years (but potentially open to more): Air Force or Navy or Army (I'm mostly interested in Air Force or Navy, but am open to any oversights re: the army)

(4) Which branches have in-house residencies, if any? (I assume they're competitive and am not that interested in specializing but am curious)

(5) I am paying for my own dental school, but I have family in dentistry that I could work with and potentially take over their practice (for a cost of course). Based on the schools I have interviews at I'll be paying ~100k a year. Do the benefits of HPSP outweigh working with my family and learning how to run a practice from them?

Members don't see this ad.

this is just based on my brief experience so if I’m incorrect please let me know

To answer your first question I don’t even think they’ll consider you for HPSP until you have an acceptance letter in hand. But I would at least speak with a recruiter to get your application started if you’re seriously interested.

I believe all 3 branches offer a sign on bonus of some type. Navy I know is 20k or at least that was what I was told when I spoke with the recruiter when I had inquiries about it.

Air Force is the hardest to get because it’s the most wanted, navy is also pretty difficult that I’ve heard. Unsure about army.

I can’t speak for the last two so hopefully others can help you there.

Truthfully I don’t know much, I spoke with a recruiter and he pretty much told me that I wouldn’t get it because of my anxiety, so make sure you’ll pass the health screening and talk to the recruiter about your health so you don’t waste your time with all the paperwork only to be denied later on. He saved me some time. Hope this helped a tiny bit!

Reactions: 1 user
I can answer 3 and 5, at least.

For 3, none of them are better or worse than the next.

As for 5, financially speaking, yes, I can say without a doubt, you will be better off with HPSP. Financially. Emphasis on just that word, and that word alone. If you want to do HPSP, I would highly recommend you do it because you want to serve on top of it, not just for financial reasons. I would also like to mention that, at least according to the pros on this forum, that if ownership is your goal and you have a way to get into ASAP, you could probably make a relatively fast recovery from your debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I know that there are probably other threads out there where I could find the answers I'm looking for if I did some digging, but I'm looking for recent answers to just a couple questions so I'mma go ahead a create a new thread,

(1) When should I apply to HPSP (or I guess reach out to a recruiter)? I'm a current applicant in the 2022/23 cycle and have 2 interviews currently. I'm guessing the answers gonna be "right now" or "very soon" haha.

(3) Which is a better option for someone who plans on HPSP only for the minimum 4 years (but potentially open to more): Air Force or Navy or Army (I'm mostly interested in Air Force or Navy, but am open to any oversights re: the army)

(4) Which branches have in-house residencies, if any? (I assume they're competitive and am not that interested in specializing but am curious)

(5) I am paying for my own dental school, but I have family in dentistry that I could work with and potentially take over their practice (for a cost of course). Based on the schools I have interviews at I'll be paying ~100k a year. Do the benefits of HPSP outweigh working with my family and learning how to run a practice from them?
1) I started filling out my application mid October (for the Army). That was the right time. Unsure for other branches.
2) Army and Navy both offer $20k signing bonus. The Air Force does not offer a signing bonus.
3) The Air Force has a required 1 year AEGD. The other branches do not require AEGD attendance. So if you join the AF, you have 1 year of AEGD+4 years of pay back. The others would be 4 years if you opt out of the AEGD.
When choosing which to join, I'd probably look mainly towards duty station locations. Where you think you'll be the happiest.
4) All branches have residencies available. The Army is the biggest, so typical it's thought that they have the most spots available. Everything is fairly competitive, but probably slightly less competitive than with civilian programs, except some residencies only have 1-2 spots per year. Those are obviously more competitive.
5) Answering this is a personal question. If it's a money thing, if you feel like you can pay off all your loans in less than 4 years, then it's probably better to not do it. If you feel like it'd take 10+ years to pay off your loans, it may be better to do it. You'll have to run your own scenarios and see how much you think you'll make and all that. Also consider the training and skill difference gained in private vs military. A dentist with 5 years of private practice experience is going to be a very different dentist than one with 5 years of military experience.

Hello, I'm going through the process RIGHT now so I'll try to answer as best as I can, but of course, best source of info is your local recruiter

(1) When should I apply to HPSP (or I guess reach out to a recruiter)? RIGHT NOW, or at least get started on asking for recs. I asked my rec writers for dental schools to alter theirs, and look 2 weeks. Reach out to your recruiter and start on your application packet

I think all of them do- I'm applying to Air Force and Navy- depending on which branch/how many year scholarships, but I think on average, it's $20k

I think the "better" option is really relative, depending on what you are looking for what different branches offer. But in my opinion overall, the "better"-ness of the programs are reflective on the competitiveness (Air Force> Navy > Army).

All- but remember these are not counted towards your required 4-year service

My dad also has a private practice that I can work in after dental school. This took a lot of soul searching and reflection. But in the end, I realized that I want to stay relatively debt-free (and getting paid to go to dental school since the stipend is well over my living costs) was very appealing to me. And I know that my dad would not be retiring in the next 5 years, so I always have the option to work with him after the program. I also want to leave home and potentially have new experiences/ meet new people outside my hometown. So there are a lot of personal factors.

As far as I know, the board will be meeting to decide on scholarships within the next few days. Does anyone know more details? I’ve been told we should hear back end of January or beginning of February most likely. If anyone has different information it would be much appreciated!

As far as I know, the board will be meeting to decide on scholarships within the next few days. Does anyone know more details? I’ve been told we should hear back end of January or beginning of February most likely. If anyone has different information it would be much appreciated!
Air Force board is overdue, Army board is closing, Navy board deadline is mid-March. Usually it takes two weeks for students to know whether they get the scholarship or not

Reactions: 1 users
1. ASAP
2. all three branches all offer bonus
3. they all have pros and cons. Air Force has an easy life, but horrible duty station locations. Army, rough life, most opportunities if you wanna specialize. Navy, best locations, good specialization opportunities
4. Army>=Navy>>>>>>Air Force
5. you will only lose money if you stay in the military for 30 years and work as an oral surgeron. otherwise, the military is a good deal.

1. ASAP
2. all three branches all offer bonus
3. they all have pros and cons. Air Force has an easy life, but horrible duty station locations. Army, rough life, most opportunities if you wanna specialize. Navy, best locations, good specialization opportunities
4. Army>=Navy>>>>>>Air Force
5. you will only lose money if you stay in the military for 30 years and work as an oral surgeron. otherwise, the military is a good deal.
My recruiter for the army yesterday said the deadline was up for army and navy for students starting in this Summer... Do you have any insight into the AF process or was my recruiter incorrect?

Also could you explain #5 a bit?

My recruiter for the army yesterday said the deadline was up for army and navy for students starting in this Summer... Do you have any insight into the AF process or was my recruiter incorrect?

Also could you explain #5 a bit?
1. AF board is in mid-Dec. you do not need an acceptance letter for your application packet. Once your selected, you wait for your acceptance and continue to rest as part of the HPSP. The AF drops your application if you do not get in that cycle.

2. In the military, you get paid by your rank and time in service. In addition, once you become an attending physician, or in the dental corp, you finish your residency, and you get bonus pay every year.
say you are a general surgical resident, while your in the military, you get paid as a captain(O-3), plus all the benefits, you are looking at $70k-100K/year depending on where you station at. most civilian resident gets paid around $50k/yr. so you make more as a resident than your civilian peers.
After you finish your military residency, you are an independent provider, say you get promoted to major and add more time in service and get special pay, you would look at 120-150k/yr. while your civilian general surgeon peers start at $300k/yr as a fresh new attending physician (not including bonus). now you start you lose money.

So overall, you have zero debt, you make more during your residency, or the first few years of practice, but your civilian peers will catch up very quickly. that's why I said, the longer you stay, moneywise, the more you will lose.