General Chemistry Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What grade did you get in General Chemistry?

• A

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • A-

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • B+

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • B

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • B-

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • C+

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • C or lower

Votes: 10 7.2%

• Total voters

DrHoosier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get an idea of how people have done in General Chemistry in the past. I'm on track to get around a B or B+ but I'm not really sure what the average is.

Members don't see this ad.

Average grade in a chem 101 class is a C, chem 102 is probably C-. They are conventionally the big weed out classes. You need to do practice problems in those classes if you want to do well.
I personally got a B in chem 101 ( 88% and there was no curve) and no B+'s.

I got an A in both and then went on to grade General and Organic exams for various professors. I can tell you that the average for Gen Chem I was around a 72% for the few years I graded the exams. This average was not dependent on the professor. So, as the above poster stated, the average is probably in the C range, and I know for a fact what the average was at my undergrad while I graded ~72% :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended a different universities for Gen Chem I and II. In gen chem I, the average was 49%, so they had to curve the grades (this in a class of 150, mind you)... I made a B. For Gen Chem II, at another university, the teacher had realistic tests where the average was a 70. I got an A in that class... perhaps because my other gen chem class was completely brutal.

I had an A in the first semester and a B in the second semester. Both were taken at the same school, a small private school with a class size of 25 or so. I honestly think adcoms have to take into account where your grades are coming from when they evaluate your application so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just do your best and you really should be fine.

I made a C in Chem 1 with an A in the lab, retook and made a B in lecture. For some reason Dalton's laws kicked my butt.

I got a 4.0 in chem 1, 2 and labs... but it was mostly review from really strong high school chem classes.

I fell back to earth with orgo.

B or B+ is plenty good enough though, you just have to 4.0 other things.

I had to re-take chem 101 and got an B, then I got an A in chem 102 because I learned my errors from chem 101. You are on the right track no worries just do your best.

I set the curve for general chemistry and here I am (with no acceptances).

So don't lose hope yet ;p

Btw it only gets better. Gen chem = holy **** math. Orgo = yay pictures!

general chem is teh sux.:thumbdown:
I got a B- in gen chem I and a C+ in gen chem II. I was, however, able to pull A's in ochem. again...gen chem blows!!!! If you're worried, dont....ochem is much more fun.

general chem is teh sux.:thumbdown:
I got a B- in gen chem I and a C+ in gen chem II. I was, however, able to pull A's in ochem. again...gen chem blows!!!! If you're worried, dont....ochem is much more fun.

For some people. :p I loved gen chem, hated o-chem, and I like biochem pretty well. They're all very different courses; success in one does not mean you'll be successful in the other. As long as you pull B's or better in chemistry classes, there's nothing to worry about. One C will not necessarily doom you either, even though it's not ideal (*living proof*).

For some people. :p I loved gen chem, hated o-chem, and I like biochem pretty well. They're all very different courses; success in one does not mean you'll be successful in the other. As long as you pull B's or better in chemistry classes, there's nothing to worry about. One C will not necessarily doom you either, even though it's not ideal (*living proof*).
I didn't imply that success in one led to success in the other....especially since I wasn't very successful in gen chem and went on to to good in ochem, and since you generally have to take gen chem before ochem you'll probably never know if success in ochem will lead to success in gen chem. Theres nothing to worry about if you get C's in chemistry either (*living proof) A couple of D's and W's elsewhere will not doom you either (*living proof)

I didn't imply that success in one led to success in the other....especially since I wasn't very successful in gen chem and went on to to good in ochem, and since you generally have to take gen chem before ochem you'll probably never know if success in ochem will lead to success in gen chem. Theres nothing to worry about if you get C's in chemistry either (*living proof) A couple of D's and W's elsewhere will not doom you either (*living proof)

I was really only responding to you statement that o chem is most fun. To some people, none of the chemistry courses are fun. To others, it varies by course. I was making a general response to the OP. No need to be argumentative... I wasn't arguing with you, just giving my experiences >.>

I wanted to get an idea of how people have done in General Chemistry in the past. I'm on track to get around a B or B+ but I'm not really sure what the average is.

I'm gonna assume you are at IU because of your name and picture...

Are you at IU Bloomington? I think I got a B or B+ in C117, but there was a pretty big curve, I think tests averaged 59s and they made whatever was average a C or something (I took it in 2005, so I kind of forget how that worked). But instead if taking N330, I did C106 at IUPUI this past summer and got like a 98 or something... (And I would totally recommend doing that if you can!)

If you don't go to IU, then nevermind this! :)

I got into college having never studied for anything in my life, so i didn't know how to handle Chem I and made a C. In Chem II I was truckin' along with a B for most of the semester, then slacked on the final and ended up with a C. Seriously, I don't know where my head was at freshman year! I've spent the last three years making up for those two C's!

Luckily I'll be graduating with a pretty high gpa this May because I worked hard in every other class to make sure those two C's weren't the death of me.

Last edited:
I'm gonna assume you are at IU because of your name and picture...

Are you at IU Bloomington? I think I got a B or B+ in C117, but there was a pretty big curve, I think tests averaged 59s and they made whatever was average a C or something (I took it in 2005, so I kind of forget how that worked). But instead if taking N330, I did C106 at IUPUI this past summer and got like a 98 or something... (And I would totally recommend doing that if you can!)

If you don't go to IU, then nevermind this! :)

Yeah, I do go to IUB. I can't really figure out how the grading is going to work because they haven't curved anything yet. I got a pretty good grade on the first test and have been doing really well except for the quizzes (8am friday mornings :thumbdown:). As long as I can pull a B or B+ I will be happy but I have no idea if they will curve it or not. Do you remember when they curved your score or how they did it?

Yeah, I do go to IUB. I can't really figure out how the grading is going to work because they haven't curved anything yet. I got a pretty good grade on the first test and have been doing really well except for the quizzes (8am friday mornings :thumbdown:). As long as I can pull a B or B+ I will be happy but I have no idea if they will curve it or not. Do you remember when they curved your score or how they did it?

I had the 8am lecture too... I'm pretty sure I missed a lot of those quizzes. I'm pretty sure the class was curved at the end. I'm trying to think because I know my cousin took it in the last couple of years and I think they did her class a little differently (I don't know who she had but not the same professors I did)... I had deSouza and Iyengar as my profs and mostly what I remember was their theory of making it so there was no ceiling on the test scores which is why the averages were always low.
But, you should be fine though because even with missing some quizzes and hard tests I still ended up with a B+. They work hard to make it a weed-out class but with confidence that you aren't a weed, you'll get through it.

I got a C in both Gen Chem I and II. Then retook it a few summer's later and got A's. :D

does anybody have any study habits/tips for chemistry/science courses in general? im in chem 2 right now, i made a b+ in chem 1.

chemistry is so frustrating for me since its my best and worst subject in that i understand it really well, make As in the labs and homework, but i guess i choke on the tests. when im with my teachers and tutors they tell me i don't need help since i get everything, but im still not making As on the tests.

this probably means that i don't understand it as well as i think, but do yall study and do problems everyday?

i had a test today and came in feeling extremely confident but had to walk out with my tail between my legs since it went pretty badly, so i'm thinking i need to change my study habits. i goto class and do the reading, but i guess i don't really start practicing problems until a few days before the test.

help!

got an A in 101, taking 102 this semester probably will end up with B.

A's in both. repetition and do most of the problems in the chapter

A's in every chem course taken. Chem builds on itself - gen chem concepts will help you in organic. Nailing down the basics is key to doing well. Once you get the basics down it will be easier for you to do problems because you will understand what is supposed to happen.