General chemistry help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quick Slvr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
While reading the treads posted in this forum i mostly read that on the real DAT there is not too much calculation, should i focus more on memorizing every single detail like bio or do a lot more practice problems?

I am also going to order the Exam Krackers 1001 questions in Genral Chemistry, does this book have alot of questions that require calculation or does is it mostly test theories? will this book prepare me well on the G-Chem of portionDATs

Members don't see this ad.

The real DAT in my experience had both theories and calculation, but the calculation were not very lengthy. If you have fat kaplan book you should be fine. Examkrackers in my opinion is overload. However if you are weak in gen chem you can get the book and work problems from it. What I would do if i were you was any sections I am really having problems with in chem is to look in your textbook and read the sections as well as work the chapter problems. I realize that the problems are not the simple calculation you will be seeing the real exam, but it gives you the approach in how to deal with various problems.

First read the kaplan book to refresh all the topics. Between the kaplan excercise questions, the kaplan subjects tests, diagnostic, midterm, final and topscore test, you'll be prepared. I bought the ACS review guide, but only scanned through it. However, the ACS organic guides were super.

Also keep this in mind Quick Slvr. Just because a few of the people who have actually taken the DAT (compared to the thousands that have and are not represented here on SDN) say there were not too many calculations or equations to do just be ready for anything. You may get more than others.