General Chemistry vs. College Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuhLeePlay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the first portion of Chemistry during the fall. My first option is taking General Chemistry I (CHM 101) which seems to be fine but on the description it states that it is designed for non-science majors (I'm a Psychology major). My second option is taking College Chemistry I (CHM 111) which is designed for science and engineering majors (which I'm not)

Which should I take and why?

Members don't see this ad.

General Chemistry I. Don't make it harder on yourself by taking a science/engineering course.

Some programs require you to take the chemistry series that's designated for science majors. If you already know where you are applying, clarify with those programs...if you don't know where you want to go to school yet, I would take the series for science majors because that way you might have more options when it comes to deciding where to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you know that ALL the schools you are applying do not care, take the chem for science majors. Many of the schools I am planning on applying to only want chemistry for science majors.

"Chemistry with laboratory; Two (2) semesters (8 credit hours)
Chemistry for non-science majors is Not accepted"

ohh too slow... but same exact advice as MFS6

I'm sorry. I checked my course description and it did say science/engineering. Yes take that one. My bad :)

take chem 101 if you like wasting time and money. You will just end up having to take 111. It's what the majority of programs require. Also don't take 101 to "prepare" yourself for 111. Another waste of time...you'll do fine.

take chem 101 if you like wasting time and money. You will just end up having to take 111. It's what the majority of programs require. Also don't take 101 to "prepare" yourself for 111. Another waste of time...you'll do fine.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Some programs require you to take the chemistry series that's designated for science majors. If you already know where you are applying, clarify with those programs...if you don't know where you want to go to school yet, I would take the series for science majors because that way you might have more options when it comes to deciding where to apply.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Classes designated as "101" usually are one semester survey classes rather than part of a sequence, and all PT schools are going to require a two semester sequence. Is CHM 101 part of a sequence at your school?

Either way I wouldn't do it...took that at community college a few years ago before I knew what I was going to do and guess what...don't need it for anything. How about BIO 101? Same story for me...